DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try and replace the plugs with NGK V-Powers this weekend. Bought them from Advanced Auto Parts for $51.43. Happy Wrenching!

·
Registered
175 Posts
shut the engine off before you start. :)

Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
DaytonHEMIRAM said:
shut the engine off before you start. :)

Dan

Thinking about doin this myself also. Any tips? How hard is it?

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
1. Cold Engine
2. Disconnect Negative Terminal of the Battery
3. Compressed Air (To blow off any excess debris in the hole, shouldn't be much)
4. Torque Wrenched to 14ft/lbs (Remember to "finger" tighten first)
5. Anti-Seize (Minimal Amount)
6. Di-Electric Grease (not necessary)
7. Do Not Crossthread (Big No No)
8. Do Not over Gap them

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Best tip I can give is to pay someone to change the plugs on the HEMI. Flat rate for mechanics to do a plug swap at the dealer is 2-2.5 hours( is actually 2.0 but some dealers charge the extra .5 because it is so hard and time consuming )! That should tell you what a "ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT!" it is.:booty: :banghead::help:

I love wrenching as much as the next guy but the plug swap on the HEMI is a real nightmare. Especially the drivers side rear 2 cylinders because of the brake booster. There is barely enough space there to even get the plugs in and out of the holes let alone the socket and such.

I have done some god awful hard plug swaps but I personally have no interest in trying to do it on my truck. When you figure it is 16 plugs to boot it just makes it worse. Dodge should have put Platinum or Iridium plugs in for 100K service. Copper core 30K plugs was DUMB! :crazy: You almost have to crawl into the engine compartment to do it as well on some of the plugs. I will GLADLY pay the $125-$150 for the dealer to do it. GLADLY!

If you are going to do it yourself, and nothing wrong with that and my hat goes off to you for trying, then the best tip I can give is to be darn sure you don't cross thread one, or over tighten, and strip out the threads. That would set you back some major coin. Because it is so hard to access the plugs in spots on this engine that is a big concern. Take your time and be sure the plug goes in right and again don't over tighten.

Another good tip is to buy some plugs other than copper cores. Those are only good for 20-30K and then need replacing again. I think you will find you won't want to do it a second time. Buy some 100K plugs( Iridium or Platinum )that won't require change so often.

Good luck and have fun ;) I think you are gonna need a lot of...:drink:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Only problem with the dealer doing it is that their mechs have to go through the same gyrations
They are human and have the same arms fingers etc
Scary

I remember back in 60 when my buddy bought a new Bonneville and had the local garage channge his plugs

When I saw the price I told him no way they did the one plug you had to take the power steering unit off to get at

I spent a Saturday morning helping him look and yep the plug was never changed

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Try this trick, put a rubber hose on the end of the spark plug once you get the plug loose to pull it out the rest of the way, you can do this as well to start the plugs in the hole. I'm going to try changing the plugs myself and you are right, the back two cylinders on the driver's side looks like they are going to be a PITA, so I'm going to try the hose on it first and let you know how it works. I have used this before on my other cars..

·
Registered
406 Posts
I did the rubber hose trick. It works great. Also, you will need a short extension and for the back plugs on the driver's side, you can do it easily with a universal joint in place of the extension on the 5/8 sparkplug socket. Also, remove the rubber insert in the socket or brush up on your cussing vocabulary.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had a had a Chevy dealer charge me for changing 6 plugs in a Chevy van once only to discover later they had only changed 5 because 1 was difficult to reach. I discovered it the next time I changed the plugs. 1 was a different brand

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've heard it's an easier job if you remove the wheel well liners.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
yea, I heard it was a piece of cake if you remove the wheel liners too..only took half the time afterwards...

·
Registered
215 Posts
patriotbluehemi said:
Try this trick, put a rubber hose on the end of the spark plug once you get the plug loose to pull it out the rest of the way, you can do this as well to start the plugs in the hole.
or, next time you change your wires, rip one of the wire boots from the wire connector, and just use the boot - that way its the correct diameter. :D

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I finished it up earlier today. I'm glad someone told me to shut the engine off first! ROFLMAO!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.