DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a quick high pitched noise when i backed up and turned the steering wheel all the way. Do you guys know what might be causing this? Or what do you think i should check? Also when i put it in reverse or something and barely let off the brake it makes a kind of annoying noise like somethings grinding together or something i dont really know how to explain it. :help:

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
oh many miles are on your truck?? the grinding noise could be breaks. there is a little metal tab on them to tell you when they need to be replaced. as for the noise when turning your wheel all the way that is the power stearing pump mine does it too but its not really anything to worry about every car i have ever owned has done that. just dont hold it there its not good on the pump. so once you hear it back the wheel off about a 1/2 inch or so untill it stops. hope that this helps

·
Registered
562 Posts
04redsoxram said:
I recently noticed a quick high pitched noise when i backed up
And you didn't run over the dog, right? :thatfunny

·
Registered
143 Posts
You have an 04 Ram, so your calipers may not be releasing fully. I've had the front rotors replaced twice already - first at 12k and again at 18k - and the second time the calipers were replaced. I heard occasional squeaking sounds backing up with cold brakes if I turned the wheels, and have a feeling that the calipers weren't releasing, and causing the rotors to heat up and subsequently warp.

How many miles on your truck, and have you had any rotor problems?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have 5k miles on it right now. I dont really notice the noises anymore, I think ive gotten used to them or something, but if I have my windows down and the radio off then its still pretty annoying. Is there anything i could check to see about the power steering without taking it to the shop?

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
power stearing pumps just wine if you hold the wheel against the lock(all the way) but if it is doing it when you just turn the wheel check and see if it needs any fluid. if might of had an air bubble in one of the lines and it finally came out. or if its leaking then take it in(ie missing alot of fluid)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.