DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a shot gun for some skeet shooting. I will be a beginner but I do have experience on fire arms. What do you guys use for skeet shooting. I can get a clay thrower if I want it. I figure , what the hell.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
yeah, im fixin to go on a 2 month summer cruise for school at Texas A & M Galveston. but im an avid shooter. personally i use an old Smith & Wesson model 1000 12 Ga. but they dont make it anymore. but if you want a really good gun for the money go with a Beretta or a Remington. the main thing to look for is a gun that swings really well in your hands. if it feels good its mostlikely the right one. also go and find a skeet range in your area. another thing to remember is if you get an auto-loader then you can go hunting with it(remington model 11-87) or you can get a skeel exclusive gun(beretta model 391 or a pidgener(over and under 2 barels)) the choice is yours but remember to get one that feels good to you have ur gunshop help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i trap a few times in the summer, more in the fall to prepare me for the bird season. Brand has some say so in choosing a gun, but its not about what gun one guy has, or what gun looks good. It's about feel. If the gun feels right for you, its the one. You can grab a expensive beretta and just suck with it, but then pick up a cheap pump and be amazing. Last time i went trap shooting i took a buddy of mine who never shot before, he used all the guns there, but just didn't do very well. He picked up one of my benelli nova pump, and only missed a few times. Choose a gun that fits you, not what people say. Thats the best info i can give, also go with a name brand...think of it like cars you could have baught a geo, but you bought a dodge. Good Luck!

·
Sporting Clays Addict
132 Posts
You should find a club that has rental guns available. That way you can try both over-unders and semi-autos. A pump is fine for trap, but in skeet you have four stations that have true pairs (two birds in the air at once). A beginner would be better off paying attention to the birds than having to worry about shucking the pump gun. :)

My wife and I both shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E with 32" barrels. We opted for the longer barrels since we shoot mostly sporting clays. We do a skeet/trap league one night during the week and that's about all the skeet we shoot. I had 5000 NSCA registered targets last year, and my wife had 4000. That's not including probably 8000 or so targets in non-registered competition and practice.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

·
Registered
236 Posts
this Needs To Be Moved To The Thread It Belongs In...not Here

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
dicks sporting goods has a o/u 12 called the stoger brand not to exp and i use mine for trap and small game very nice gun for 300$

·
Sporting Clays Addict
132 Posts
My wife actually shot a Baikal IZH-27 until a few weeks ago. That gun had well over 10,000 rounds through it and she never had a problem from it. It's a Russian import and sells for around $400 or so. Chokes are readily available from Trulock chokes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.