DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the No-Spin kit? Did your fuel economy improve? Any change in NVH? Any noteable problems?

I just purchased a kit today for my 03 4x4 with Cummins & 6spd, because my unit bearings and front axle u-joints are shot at 52k miles, and I dont want to change these again at 100k miles. Hope to pick up some fuel economy improvement, and smooth out the driveline vibes.

Thanks - Ryan

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
What is a No-Spin kit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The No-Spin kit replaces the factory (non-serviceable) unitized hub & bearings on the front drive axle, with a traditional (serviceable) spindle & hub in addition to allowing the use of manual locking 4x4 hubs. Hense the "no-spin" name... the front axles and driveshaft will no longer spin unless the hubs are locked in.

I'm still shocked that Dodge didn't release a automatic or manual hub option with these trucks. The resulting frontend vibrations and parasitic losses are ridiculous... maybe they wanted to make money on service parts & labor.

I'll let you know how things workout with the kit.

Thanks -03RAMAN

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't think they'll make much of a fuel improvment on a diesel. I've read 1-2 mpg on gas though. What did they run you $2000?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep... a little more with the lowpro lockouts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kit hasn't arrived yet... should be in later this week. I'll let you know.

·
Hemiless
714 Posts
All I know is, it's going to take a LONG time to make up $2,000 in fuel savings. Probably like, 34 years or something like that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dynatrac rep said average 2mpg improvement, but I thought he might be trying to make the sale. Owner of my local diesel performance shop said he's seen 2.5 mpg improvements, and he's not selling me the kit or doing install so I tend to believe him.

I drive 45,000 miles a year, so a 2mpg improvement equals roughly $500 savings per year.

My truck only has 52k, but both front unit bearings are fried, in addition to the front axle u-joints, and the front driveshaft double cardan joint. Premature wear due to front driveline always spinning.

Fuel Savings $500
Unit Bearings $400
U-Joints $100
Double Cardan $?

If these parts wear out every 52k miles I would be replacing them almost yearly.

I estimate the kit could save me roughly $1,000 a year in fuel and parts, not to mention the labor costs if I paid someone to do the front end work.

Easy decision for me, but again I drive at least 45k miles a year.

Take Care - 03RAMAN

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally installed the Free-Spin kit this week, and I couldn't be happier. Tear down was the toughest part with the unit bearings requiring some extra attention, but reassembly was a breeze. I was expecially impressed by the dynalock lockout design.

The bad vibes are gone, and the truck coasts like never before. I will record fuel economy next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.