DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in sunny Southern California (L.A. to be exact), and for some reason, my electric fan comes on whenever I turn on my A/C. Now in the last few weeks, the weather has been a bit uncomfortable if you stay out in the sun for too long, or leave your windows rolled down, so naturally an A/C is the only option.

Now when I turn on the A/C I can immediately feel an ever-so-slight tug in the power, almost as if a clutch was sticking on a manual tranny. And to top it off, I just came back from an 800 mile round trip from Oakland/Sacramento (northern Cali.), with the A/C on fulltime.

My question to you guys is if anyone knows of a heavy-duty multi-core dual-pass aftermarket radiator that's available or can be custom made? Ideally, something that will keep your temperature needle on cool, even in the hottest weather.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How hot is it running now?
Why do you think you need better cooling?

my electric fan comes on whenever I turn on my A/C.
Unless things have changed in resent years one of your two fans will run anytime the A/C compressor is running.

It doesn't matter what size radiator you have, the fans will still cut on at the same temperature.
My Magnum has "severe-duty engine cooling", this comes with the Trailer Tow group. My car runs between 210 and 215 degrees when it's 90 degrees outside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maneval69 said:
How hot is it running now?
Why do you think you need better cooling?
I guess it's really not running hot per'se, but having a larger radiator on my other car, I'm not use to the fan coming on right away. The needle is usually half way, but I guess I'm just looking for the secuity of keeping the engine cool with the way that I drive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Profezzor - maneval69 is correct that almost all new cars will have the electric fans kick on when the AC is turned on. Its normal, and unless you are sitting in stopped traffic for long periods of time you should have much of a problem with teh stock cooling. If you really want to drop the coin any GOOD radiator shop should be able to gin up what ever you need/want. If they look at you like your from outter space find a differnt shop.

-R

·
Registered
258 Posts
Basically any car with electric fans does this. Even the cars with motor driven fans usually have electric or thermal clutches that activate when the AC comes on because of the extra heat load the evaporator puts on the cooling system. A bigger radiatior will not change that.
The drag you feel is the AC compressor running. They take quite a bit of HP to turn, and even with the HEMI I can always feel when the clutch on the compressor engages because of the sudden engine load. Just be glad you have the HEMI, when that happens in a 4-banger on a hill it's like someone attached and anchor to your car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
djc208 said:
Basically any car with electric fans does this. Even the cars with motor driven fans usually have electric or thermal clutches that activate when the AC comes on because of the extra heat load the evaporator puts on the cooling system. A bigger radiatior will not change that.
In a nutshell...... I guess I shouldn't worry then.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
I've put in double-core radiators on small and midsize cars that formerly had single-core units and the difference is incredible. A/C that stays cold at a stop, for example. Engines that never overheat no matter what kind of load I put on them.

Not sure if any of that applies to the Mag though. Still, with the 105-110-degree days we've been having in CA its been on my mind. The tow package has "severe duty cooling". I wonder what that radiator costs (assuming its higher capacity)?

Crap. The Magnum I ordered and bailed on when I got tired of waiting had the tow package for just that reason. I wonder who wound up getting it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.