DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Victims arent we all
1,826 Posts
try crutchfield, they have a spec sheet for all factory speaker deminsions and depths

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I installed a set of Infinity Reference 6X9's up front and 5.25's in the rear. They're pretty deep. The problem is the basket size. The hole seems deep enough but, I had to use some 1/4" nuts to bush out the speakers to fit the hole's diameter. Yes the stock speakers are pitiful. The stock head unit in the '05 drives the Infinity's nice for what it is. Deep lows and crispy highs. I bought them from Cirtcuit City.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I have Mb Quart's 6.5 components in the front and 5.25 components in the rear....All I did was make a spacer plate out of mdf....

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
You can also take off the spacer bracket from the stock speakers cut off the tabs, reverse them and use then on your new speakers. Its what I did and it worked great!!!
Ditto here. I installed Infinity KAPPA 6x9's. The basket was so big on them that I had to cut the opening in the door to fit them. The factory speakers then donated thier spacers to space them outward some as not to conflict with the big power window gear.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
PHP:
dale3fan3 said:
You can also take off the spacer bracket from the stock speakers cut off the tabs, reverse them and use then on your new speakers. Its what I did and it worked great!!!
This what I did and it does work.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I did that on my '03. My '05 had even whimpyer speakers than the '03. The spacers were smaller and didn't quite cut it. What really surprised me is the lack of aftermarket spacers if you want to get ultra fancy. There are spacers for just about every size except 6X9". But swap out those chincy stock speakers even if you use the stock head unit. It'll make a world of difference.

·
BEE 1971
37 Posts
By the way , 6 1/2" fit perfectly in the rear doors - I have 6 1/2" Infinity reference speakers in the rear doors - No mods - You can either use the adapter plates that come with the speakers or just redrill mounting screw holes - No mods to the speaker holes themselves

Front doors i use Rockford fosgate 6" x 9" s - I also had to use the plastic spacers from the factory speakers

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have posted for help on this subject and forgot to ask if 6x9's would work also.
That answerd my question. Did any of you who do have the 6x9's have any rattles?
Do you recommend redrilling them over using the adapter plates?

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
TREP R/T said:
I have posted for help on this subject and forgot to ask if 6x9's would work also.
That answerd my question. Did any of you who do have the 6x9's have any rattles?
not sure what you are trying to say here but all I did was put some dynomat where the 6x9s are used the factory spacer as I described and put them in no drilling needed. I hope this answered your question trep r/t

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Dale: I just wanted to know if a 6x9's fit in the front doors where the 6 1/2's are. I thought it was a circular opening only.

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
TREP R/T said:
Dale: I just wanted to know if a 6x9's fit in the front doors where the 6 1/2's are. I thought it was a circular opening only.
nope its a 6x9 opening! the door panels just make them look like 6 1/2. Now if you would rather you can make a plate to convert the 6x9 opening to a 6 1/2 if you prefer but if your not running a sub I would say dont because dodge put our power speakers in the door not in the back and you would loose a lot of low end. Now if you decide to run a amp off your factoory stereo you can. get a line converter that will cange your speaker lines into a rca output. but make sure you do it of the front speaker lines because again that is where the most of the factory stereo power goes.
I changed everything in my stereo I have a pioneer head unit off that I have 1 rca running to my eq with sub control. then I have 3 rca lines running to my 4 ch amp and my mono sub amp. then I ran the speaker wires back to the dash and hooked back up to the factory speaker wires for the sound to make it to my speakers. I couldnt get 6 1/2 s to fit so I put in 5 1/4s all my speakers have dynomat around them it really took that hollow echoy sound out of the doors.

Attachments

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
PHP:
TREP R/T said:
All I did was pop the adapter plates off of the stock speakers and snapped them on the back of the aftermarket speakers. I didn't redrill I used the same holes. I have no rattles from the 6x9s. You could also put some Dynamat around the speaker. I used some self adhesive flashing that you can get at Home Depot in the roofing section. It is not as thick as the Dynamat but it about $7 a roll.

I should say that the truck came with the Infinity system. I don't think this would make a difference on the ease of installation of the 6x9s. I did away with the stock system all together. I mounted a MTX 4 channel amp under the passenger seat and ran new speaker wire to all four speakers. I changed the rear and front speakers to "true" Infinity speakers. It is true that you can use 6 1/2 speakers in the back I did it just drill new holes. I also put a JVC head unit and put some subwoofers in, but that is another story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.