DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering shaving my handles, but wanted to know if anyone can tell any problems with having them.
Thanks

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
You find yourself reaching for handles that aren't there?

I've heard of people having a problem on windy days where the doors pop open and fly open.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
03ramit1 said:
one problem i see is what if the battery dies how are you going to get in??
You install a backup button that is hidded in a place only YOU know about. Then use that to open the truck if you ever do have a problem...Or you can install a backup battery almost like a backup for an alarm system.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
mjfikac said:
You install a backup button that is hidded in a place only YOU know about.
There's not many selections for the backup button. Unfortunately, the thugs know of these places too. For that reason alone is why my door handles are not shaved.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
KaPPaBaLL said:
yup, just like gone in 60 seconds. :D
My Favorite Movie....after Bambi, but still.....AWESOME!

·
Registered
13 Posts
What if you dropped a hidden wire somewhere under the truck where you could get to it in the event of a battery failure. You don't even need a ground - you can get that anywhere. If your battery just died because you left the lights on, you could use it to charge up again. If it was say, a 8ga wire, you could do a fast charge. If it was a small, like 16ga wire, you could still get enough current into the system to trigger the solenoids. Even if the battery had lost a cell and didn't provide a closed circuit through the system, you would have you door opening/alarm system tap into this emergency lead and you could power up. If you wanted super warm and fuzzies, hide a small 12v battery somewhere under the truck and retrieve it to power the emergency lead - if you were stranded in the woods or something. As long as your receiver does not lose its memory when it loses power (and they don't), you are fine. The only way in is the key fob.

So what if the fob fails? Then hide a magnetic switch somewhere behind a plastic panel ( that is tied in with a relay to your solenoid circuit) and keep a magnet on your key chain. If that is not good enough, then add a normally open key cylinder switch in the magnetic switch circuit so you need the key, a magnet, and have to know exactly where the mag switch is.

Or add a second fob operated receiver in the emergency circuit and don't do the magnet thing.

Or use a proximity switch and a piece of ferrous metal.

Or leave it alone. It looks fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Shaved doors are fine as long as they are set up properly.First thing you need is reverse jumper cables,that bolt directly to your battery and a plastic plug is underneath where you can hook up the cables and jump battery with hood locked down from other vehicles or seperate battery outside the vehicle.

JUMPMAX
http://www.phoenixusa.com/catalog/index.php?cat=45

Next you need an (all weather button),hidden on the body that sends direct 12v out to the solenoid on the door using the battery under the hood if you lock your key fob in or its broken.Secondly this button should have a second wire hanginging from it,so you can do a direct jump from an outside battery direct to the solenoid..directly through the button itself.

http://www.autoloc.com/detail-acc.lasso?itemid=SVPRO7

S7 fully waterproof backup button guarantees that you'll never, ever be locked out of your vehicle because of lost or dead remotes. Even in the event that your car or truck's battery dies, if you mount the S7 in an elliptical hole you'll be able apply a twelve volt battery directly to the S7's terminals to activate your solenoids.

The S7 fully waterproof backup button is the ultimate in peace-of-mind, and is great for any application when you want a rugged, reliable button in a place exposed to water, mud, sand, sleet, snow, or just about anything that would disable a normal button.

Thats it.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
I've been schooled. Thanks fellaz :rck:

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is very kewl and new..i think ill definently buy it shortly,its also on autoloc web site.

TAP IT! AutoLoc's revolutionary SVATP TapPop system is the most advanced shaved-door entry system on the planet. The cutting edge technology in the SVATP TapPop allows you to pop open your door by simply tapping your finger on a specific location on your vehicle.

Only you will know which body panel or piece of glass your TapPop sensor is hidden behind, so only you will know where to tap. The SVATP TapPop has fully programmable tap sequences, which ensures that only you will be able to TapPop your doors. If you want the ultimate in security and convenience, plus the coolest and cleanest way to open your doors, the AutoLoc's SVATP TapPop system is for you!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This has been a very informative thread. Thanks guys.
That TAP IT product sounds pretty cool.. I would assume it only opens with the alarm disabled, and I guess in that case, it'd be a pretty safe system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.