Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Hope all is well with everybody.

Recovering from the fun of an highway water pump meltdown by having the battery go south (do I know how to have fun or what? - :) ) Guess getting hot water all over a five year-old battery doesn't help its lifespan...

Anyway, haven't bought a battery in a while - anyone have thoughts on a good model/brand for my 2000 5.9 R/T and where to get it ? I want it to be the correct physical size (terminals in right spot, etc) and of course correct amperage, etc.

Always appreciate the input,
Bman

· Patriot....
3,385 Posts
Optima is a good quality battery - thought it's a bit pricey. It's a bit smaller (same reqruiements, smaller package) as well so you have a little extra space. It's sealed gel so it won't leak.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
I agree with kevin. Check out the optima

· '99 Durango SLT
285 Posts
I run an Optima Red-Top in my Durango. I could not be happier with it. It is smaller, but it still fits under the stock battery tie down.

No comments about how dirty it is under the hood of my truck. :)

Attachments

· Moab '06
192 Posts
Heck, I'm waiting for my old battery to die so I have an excuse to go buy an optima. Had one in my Dakota, and I loved it. Well, as much as anyone cane love a car battery.
Costco usually has them, around 1 bill.

· Gromit
278 Posts
If you dont have the money to blow on a cool Optima. After all it is just a battery...

....ive got a top-of-line battery from Wal*Mart, one of the bright yellow ones. $60 total, fits in the spot perfect. I drain that sucker for hours straight with the engine off listening to music and running a power inverter quite often while camping, washing the car, etc. It has never needed jumped or charged yet in the 2yrs+ ive had it.

That said if i had the money to blow or had a winch id buy an Optima too!

· Registered
747 Posts
I'm going with an Optima Yellow-Top when I replace the small battery in mine.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm....thanks for the input guys. Don't know if I'll spring the $100 for the Optima tho since I just replaced the water pump.

Hey Leviticus - made a few calls and Wal-Mart is priced @ $59.84 for an 875 Cold Cranking amps (3 year free replacement/6 yr pro-rated)...that's tough to beat...definitely the best deal I've found locally...

· Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,294 Posts
i purchased a Deka battery from CarQuest. The reason i did this, even though it's sort of an off brand is because 1) it has 1000 CCA 2) It was on sale from 100 down to 60 dollars, and 3) it was a perfect replacement. It has held up well with my 1500 watt stereo and off road lamps.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Exide Orbital is way better than any optima......

· Gromit
278 Posts
cbrenn71...DEKA batteries arent really offbrand. More unknown in theautomotive circles. DEKA batteries are used in electric forklifts, heavy machinery, etc. They are good or wouldnt handle this abuse.

As far as the walmart ones, they have good Coldcranking and reserve amps and for $60 are hard to beat. Plus wal-mart has a easy return policy.

· Registered
517 Posts
I will warn anyone who does off roading that I have gone through two 1000CCA batteries, one from Walmart, and the other from Autozone in 3 years. It was explained to me that the vibration and shaking of regular offroad use is very detrimental to the life span of a standard battery.

The Optima or similarly designed batteries are not succeptible to this damage from excessive bouncing or vibration. I will be putting in an Optima after my 3 year replacement warranty runs out on this Autozone one (1.2 years left).

· Registered
124 Posts
Well my stock battery was still ok but every time the bass hit from my stereo my lights dimmed bad. I was going to upgrade my alternator first but decided to start with the battery. I purchased an Optima D31-OY which is a combination starting and deep cycle battery. It is actually an industrial battery and was a special order. The battery weighs 65lbs :dropjaw:. Needless to say the lights don't dim anymore :D

6,294 Posts
you could have done the "big 3" grounding for your vehicle. That usually takes care of some dimming issues. You could have also gotten another battery for your system itself, or added a capacitor to your system.

· Registered
747 Posts
Baby Hemi: what are you running for your audio system.

I'm running over 1000 W RMS and the only time I ever really have a problem with lights dimming is if I have it turned way up (i'm talking don't wanna be in the car anymore loud because your hair moves bass). Then again, I do have a very very efficient Alpine Class-D amp, which helps a lot.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah...went with Wal-Mart. Ended up at $58.84 and much higher CCA than stock unit, so it should be fine for my needs as I don't do any car audio thumping. Not as long as the stock unit but still fits in the battery box fine.

I don't do any off-roading with the D (expensive enough just driving around town :cool: ). If I did I'd buy an old Jeep with solid axles that I didn't have to worry about all the time and just trailer it - would be too paranoid in the D to have any fun...haha.

Bman

6,294 Posts
Esh- i have the problem with dimming somewhat too when it's all the way up. We've discussed my bass before, more of the pounding as opposed to your sound quality. Mine vibrates your hair, tickles your ears, and flexes the roof. Then again i'm running that 1500 watt fosgate, and it's not nearly as efficient as your Alpine. You really notice the dimming when the fog lamps are on (the off road lights) they dim quite a bit, but i never see the alt gauge dip like it has in past vehicles. i rarely run the volume that high to put a demand on the alt/battery like that though.

· Registered
124 Posts
Ok first of all what do you mean by the "big 3 grounding" My stereo already has a capacitor installed and I have about 2500 watts. 2 15" Kickers, 4 6x9s, 4 6.5s, 8 tweets so it's pretty loud. 1500 watts on the subs and 1000 watts on the mids and highs. I will get some pics posted one of these days when I find some time :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.