DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear from those with 2500 and 3500 hemi's.
What do you tow?
How does it handle the load, Flat ground, hills?
MPG towing and at what speed?
MPG non towing and at what speed?

Thanks for your response,
Windy

·
25HEMI00
1,064 Posts
03 ram 2500 4:10's w/ 35's. I tow during the summer for my landscaping buisness. I usually haul around a 3000lb hydraulic dump trailer. I've towed a bumper pull horse trailer from maryland to upstate NY, with my bed loaded with dressers and interior loaded with supplies and clothes. We took the route that had mountains, not hills.My dump trailer has had 10000+lbs of stone many times, putting my rig in at numbers the DOT wouldn't like. I've towed just about everything except 5th wheel.
My general opinion about my hemi is that it will pull anything i want it to, up hills, through mud, through snow, but i'm paying for the gas dearly. With my 35's i've gotten 3mpg towing blue stone. It pulled it fine, but the gas gauge fell as a drove. Fortunately for me, i just make my customers pay for it. If i could do it again, i'd buy a cummins. But i don't regret my hemi.
hope it helped.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I tow our 8k~ lb 5th wheel with our 2500HD Hemi auto 3.73. Even after four Cummins powered Rams, I've been very happy with the Hemi's towing performance except for the '05 not having the ability to lock out both O/D ratios. Our previous 5th wheel weighed 10,400 lbs on the CAT scale. I knew it was back there but never had any trouble towing it. On the steeper interstate uphills, we're in 2nd at 4200rpm 60mph. It will easily accelerate up over 70mph in 2nd up the hills but 5k rpm is a bit much even for me. Most of the time, it runs in O/D on the flats and direct on rolling hills or headwinds at 2k rpm and 2700rpm. If I opt for a 4.56 rear ratio, it'll run in O/D at 2400~rpm and direct at a more leasurely 3500~rpm 250~hp for those long steep interstate uphills. For the past 100,586 miles, I've been getting 14~mpg very light city, 17~ highway at 70mph and 8.5mpg towing. New lighter more aerodynamic 5th wheel gives about 9mpg towing 65mph with cruise set. Would I do it again? I'm thinking I'm about to. I'd like to trade it for my 5th Cummins powered Ram but I'm not too sure about the emissions on the new trucks yet. But I am sure my truck could easily see another 100k before it's time tip the plank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Just thought I would check and see if I'am missing any thing since I haven't owned a gas truck since 1999. Thought with the new hemi putting out more than 100 extra Hp than my 96 dodge 5.9 gasser had it was worth checking into.

Maybe if diesel gets over a dollar a gallon more than gas it might be worth looking into again.

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks,
Windy

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I tow a 30' fifth wheel with a 5.7L Hemi powered Power Wagon. 4.56 gears with 33" tires (all OEM for Power Wagons). The trailer is about 8000# loaded and I usually have about 1000# extra in the bed, so equivalent to about 9000# of trailer if you don't have a lot of extras in the bed. When I have weighed, I have been between 16,000# and 16,600#. Power Wagons have a 17,000# GCWR, the same as a 4.10 geared 2500/3500 Ram.

I average 11 MPG city. 13 MPG highway @ 75-80 MPH and 15 MPG highway if I stay under 65 MPH. Towing I average 8.5 MPG pretty consistently.

I am quite satisfied with the performance of the 5.7. It gets it power at higher RPMs than a diesel, so it will downshift more and run at higher RPMs on hills. Some people don't like that, but that is where it gets its power.

Handling is great. Whether a Hemi or a Cummins, a 2500/3500 will have the same frame, brakes and suspension, so the only real difference is power. The Cummins can certainly tow more, but if you stay under about 8000#, the Hemi will do fine, if you don't mind driving at 4000 to 4600 RPMs when needed.

I know there are others which tow more than 9000# with Hemis and are satisfied, but they are usually at lower elevations. Across the mid-west where the elevation is low and it is fairly level, I have plenty of power and would be comfortable towing more. However, naturally aspirated engines (as the Hemi is) lose about 3% power for every 1000' increase in elevation and by the time you are at 9000' (which I frequently am for our summer camping trips) the power loss has the Hemi working pretty hard. I really start noticing the power loss at about 6000'.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really have to applaud you guys for your honesty. Most sites I frequent would have your :cheerl: :cheerl: and people that outright don't have a clue.

Thank You, it's a pleasure not having to wade through all the ..............

Windy

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
By the way, if you are planning on towing the "2009 Copper Canyon Quad Slide 5th wheel, 38' @ 14,000 LBs" in your signature, don't even consider the Hemi. Get the Cummins.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking about trading but the 6.7 emission stuff has me concerned. I know I could delete it but that would void my warranty. I like haveing some one else pay for fixes if it's in the contract. Then they want more than 6 thousand to boot trade difference, Not in my book and I know they can do it if they want.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my trusty 06. If I didn't need a truck for towing my home away from home I would sell it out right and buy me a new Challenger R/T Classic this spring.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
We tow right at the limit of our truck at 10,500lbs. We had an 04' Hemi 2500 QC 4X4 w/4.10s and stock tire size w/towing pkg and it SUCKED BIG TIME for pulling the same camper we have now. Trans constantly hunted for the right gear---even in tow/haul and with the trans reflash. I put a 22 row trans cooler on it to keep it from self-destructing. Even on flat ground trying to stay at 55, it hunted.
The one we have now is night and day different. It tows great. I set the cruise from the Adirondaks to Buffalo and I only had to downshift 2x. Put some one ton LoadPro 35 helper springs on the rear so it would not squat so hard and the 6-speed manual made ALL the difference. It pulls the same camper great now. I have NO FREAKIN IDEA why they would stop the availability of the stick shift. IMHO it puts the Hemi in its powerband as a HD truck. It gets 7-9.5 towing and 13 empty.

·
2500 Owner
386 Posts
I have a 7,000lb GVWR trailer that I use for everything from hauling quads, furniture, trees, lumber, concrete block, bags of concrete, wood pellets, firewood, trenchers, small excavators and skid steers. I get 11.9 empty around home, and about 9.0 - 10.0mpg with a loaded trailer. Oh, and that is with 3:73 gears around 45 - 65 mph.
Do I like my Hemi.......NO......I LOVE IT!!!!!! Best truck I ever owned, and this is my 6th truck and first Dodge.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Since I posted above, I had a 4.56 ratio R&P installed. I'm anxiously awaiting 500 miles so I can hitch up the 5th wheel and see what happens so I can report the results. I'm anticipating 2400rpm in 4th on the flats to mild rolling hills and 34-3800rpm in direct and direct with TC unlocked on the steeper interstate rolling hills. 4200rpm in 2nd will be for the grades at 50mph. So far, my math has proved out on the roads with my Cummins Rams and my current Hemi Ram. I'm confident this will parallel my calculations as well!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I am anxious to hear your results as well HemiRoy. I am sure you will love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This seems to be the right place to ask and get advice. I have a 06 Ram 2500 Hemi 4:1 QC TRx4 towing a 27ft 7,600 lb travel trailer and need some re-assurance. Driving home for the first time I noticed in O/D off I was running 2800 RPMS (65MPH) and at any uphill grades it would shift to a lower gear to about 3100 to 3500 RPMS. Maybe it's something I need to just get used to since I was so used to pulling a 19th trailer at only 4000 lbs. Gladely will take any advice. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have the 3500 hemi dually 4x4 with 410 gears 6spd standard have towed over 10,000 lbs. Very happy with it runs fine just dont be afraid of running it in the power band when you need it for the hills its not a low reving oil burner :) not to dis the CTD great engine if you have the bucks to burn. Milage is 9-15 mpg depending on wind and terrain towing and 13-18mpg empty. I havent towed with thw programmer yet but it should tow even better. The stick makes all the differance being able to choose your gears and hold them.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Never a problem. Granted I'm not in the Sierras, but the Smokies are no big deal at all. 4.56's & SuperChips.
By the way..these Hemi's like to rev. Get use to it, nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
...I noticed in O/D off I was running 2800 RPMS (65MPH) and at any uphill grades it would shift to a lower gear to about 3100 to 3500 RPMS...
3100 to 3500 PRMs, the Hemi is just starting to wake up. I tow for miles in 2nd gear, 4500 RPMs @ 55 MPH. Nothing to worry about.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.