DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned it to the dealer today when I was getting my oil changed, that when I get gas and the pump kicks off gas spills out, almost everytime and different stations. Guess there is something messed up with the tank or line - cause they order me a new gas tank.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
did they diagnose it or are they throwing parts at it in hopes that it fixes it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they did some kinda test cause my oil change turned into a 2hr ordeal.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have had this happen but only when I try and pump a bit more in. So now I let it fill on the second to the top catch and then when it stops I stop.....just my own diognoes (sp) :)...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine would do it the first time the gas pump kicked off - was starting to do it everytime. I had to est how many gallons to pump and stop if before it got all the way full. At first I thought maybe it was just the gas station, but then it did it at many more. Wouldn't spill much, but annoying none the less.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New tank installed - didn't get a chance to try out the valve cause I put 40 in it, and still not full. Anyways they tell me 1/2 a day, and I brought it in at 8am - figuring 4 maybe 5 hours. lol - ah negatory on that 7hrs it took. First thing they said as I walked in the door, was it took longer cause of all the skid plates. lol - they were amazed at how much stuff was under there - guess this it the first power wagon they had to work on.

·
Registered
430 Posts
you put 40gal and not full yet, it is a 34gal tank is it not? I would think you can squeeze an extra gallon, but 6 more gal, may be they put a bigger tank, a lot bigger tank.

That would be cool, to have an OEM bigger tank.

Thanks
Ocean

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol - sorry, didn't clarify - 40 bucks. Guess this rollover valve, what they called it has failed in a few dodges already.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
This happens every once in a while to me, I always thought it was a problem with the gas pump. Actually I think there was a long thread about this awhile back.

·
Gonna Make It. . .
858 Posts
I know that I can never top it off, or squeeze more in after the pump first shuts off. I always wait a few seconds and then pull out the handle, otherwise some gas will spill out down the side of the truck.

I've watched the gas in the fill neck right afterthe pump shuts off, and it takes a little while for it all to go down.

On my '96, it's just about the same story.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
sounds like there's air in the tank, or neck or something?

·
Gonna Make It. . .
858 Posts
I know that if I shake the truck a bit by yanking on the bedrail some, I can "burp" the truck and squeeze another half gallon in. Seems to release some trapped air and make just a bit more room. Only on my '96 though.

I would only do this if I was on a long trip and would be driving the truck for some distance right afterwards, i.e. a fill-up on the turnpike mid-trip.

This trick doesn't work on the PW though. . .

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
interesting
how much can get in there normally? If I really run it dry it takes like 33 gallons to fill, I think thats the most I've put in. I've never heard of this problem before, and you've had two trucks that do it, weird. When you guys say it starts leaking is that immediately if you keep going after it stops, dumb question I know but your not trying to squeeze in an extra gallon or something right

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Mine does this all the time. I got to take it in on warranty. It pisses me off. My 03 dually has never done it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
makes you feel good about having them service your rig when they didn't know about all the stuff under it lol

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
amen brotha. your truck is missing this, we cant fix after market that:blah::blah::blah:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts