DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HEMI way or no way
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6.1 cam is now in 04 QC 2wd. Special thanks to Sam (sawcut64) for his help! This makes 2 cam installs under our belt now within a week, and successful installs!

I only have 70 miles on it so far, but will put some more on it later today.

Observations: (bear in mind I have not gotten on it hard yet)

- Extremely long time for a lifter or 2 to pump up (which made a terrible noise for a few minutes :VHOT: )....thought i had installed rockers or something wrong, perhaps a misplaced pushrod. But all is wel now...just the ole normal hemi tick!

- low end seems just as strong as ever, perhapes even a hair better than before
- awesome midrange hit, pulls hard from 3500 and up..... feels like a mini turbo or perhaps a small shot of nos
- very snappy acceleration
- deeper , louder, exhaust tone!! for those of you who like angry sounding trucks, this definitey helps!
- very smooth idle (comp is still trying to find the perfect idle, will idle a little irratically, and tries (but has not died) to idle low then recovers
- NO CELs

Overall, one very happy truck, myself also! Not bad for 109 bucks plus coolant, oil, etc!

Highly recommend this mod, it is truly the best bang for the buck :rck:

·
Registered
985 Posts
sweet! i'm glad that you like it and i cant wait to get mine done sometime next month. I just have to wait for my e-fan controller to come in so i can get that done while i'm i have the radiator/shroud out.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Fun time Erik, and I'm glad you're happy with it. We did the zip tie method again and it worked perfectly...again. As far as I'm concerned, screw that TDC stuff, just zip tie, put a mark on the chain and block, and have someone hold the chain and sprocket under tension while you R&R the cam. Also an air ratchet would ROCK when doing this install, it would definitely cut down on the time involved.

2,395 Posts
SWEET!!! so are ya'll sure ya'll wanna be the one's to help with the cam/manely stuff?!?! lol, seems to me ya'll got the cam swap down!!!

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Also here is a list of torque specs for I think most of what you would run across with this install...
Cam Bolt 90 ft. lbs.
Cam Tensioner Plate 250 in. lbs.
Front Cover 250 in. lbs.
Water Pump 250 in. lbs.
Oil Dipstick Tube 105 in. lbs.
Oil Pan 105 in. lbs.
Damper 129 ft. lbs. or just impact it on until it's lined up with other pulleys
Rocker Arm Bolts 195 in. lbs.
Valve Cover 70 in. lbs.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Cam stuff yes, Manley stuff....those springs are going to be a B*TCH!!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Are upgraded springs needed with the 6.1 cam? or just recommended?

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
just recommended

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Jimmy TJ said:
Are upgraded springs needed with the 6.1 cam? or just recommended?
badblackhemi is installing the Comp 268 which is a fairly beefy cam so he wants to upgrade the valvetrain too.

·
HEMI way or no way
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah kyle we have just been doing the cams....man oh man did i have to fight the urge to put th manley stuff on...i WAS so tempted! but it would be a big pain in the arse....i seriously would take the heads off to make sure it is done right....would be so much easier!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
doing the springs def. blows ass. make sure your careful my buddy sent a spring flying at my truck. the retainer was nowhere to be found for about 45 minutes

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Cam install would be cool, but the springs.....my 05' had the oil splash guards like the 6.1 springs do and would make the spring swap way more difficult. Erik's 04' didn't have them and would make it a little easier if you didn't with your 04'. Also this is mostly a one man job, so the man with the most experience would be doing most of the work....a very long day. I really think you should do the springs with that cam....man I don't know, it would really depend on those splash guards on the springs.

2,395 Posts
well mines an '04 so maybe it doesnt have those splash guards....aww hell, maybe i should just get some ported heads!!! they'll already have the springs!!!

·
HEMI way or no way
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
agreed....my springs did not have the retainers or whatever that splash guard thing is....it stil lwouldve been difficult! i got big hands and not sure if i could do it....when and if i ever do springs, etc....i am poping heads off.....i tried to fight this idea but after listening to sam and understanding it completely, i would pop the eads off to make sure it is done right.....i.e. much easier install

·
Registered
985 Posts
i was lucky enough to get some comp spings with my cam (all for 125 :)), but i've decided to leave those out until i pull the head (if and when i do). Seems like its too much of a pain to do while its on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.