DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was just thinking....I run valvoline synpower 5-20 in my 4.7. I have always been tought to change oil and filter every 3k miles/or 3 months. My new job only requires a 4 mile round trip....is it okay to change like every 5 months? or 3k miles

·
Daytona 8398
946 Posts
Yes it is ok to extend your change schedule to 5 months or 5k because you are running syn.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I drive my truck so little, I only change the oil twice a year.

:imo ... You'll be OK

·
Registered
473 Posts
I run Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic and I change mine every 5,000. It still looks new when I change it...could probably go longer. I'm like you, I drive < 5 miles to work now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've only drove my truck 3,000 miles this year..I have the stuff in the shed to change it just waitin on the weather.I always wonder if the filter is still good after a year?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Just be aware those really short trips are really bad for the motor.
Yea ... the truck is running like crap and I need a road trip. I hoping to make the Houston New Years GTG; that would clean her out real good.

:D

·
-Arana-
7,088 Posts
Yea ... the truck is running like crap and I need a road trip. I hoping to make the Houston New Years GTG; that would clean her out real good.

:D
:rck::rck::rck:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Honestly, if you want any accurate type of oil information this is not the site to look over. Everyone here has a favorite based on their special engine, or pappys favorite, or what tastes better...no real hard data though. Head over to www.bobistheoilguy.com. These guys are the real deal, and you will get the truth. Not knocking my fellow brothern here...we are a Ram forum, they are an oil forum...enjoy

·
Registered
780 Posts
My rule is every six months or 5,000 miles. Once a year for my ford. It makes it easier to know when it is time...20,000, 25,000, 30,000, etc. I use Mobil 1.
That works out to be about two changes a year for my Ram, three a year for my Grand Cherokee. My Wrangler is every six months because it is only getting used about 4,000 miles a year. My Mustang (gets Valvoline, DuraBlend or Racing) is once a year because it is only seeing about 1,500 miles a year.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I would say use the new Penzoil Ultra full syn. It is claimed to remove 40% of engine gunk in one oil change interval. Short trips is hard on the oil/engine, as stated earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.