DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. The Dodge manual says to change the oil and filter in my 5.9l every 3750mi. Yet I've read that Cummins suggests 15k mile intervals. Barring the use of the Amsoil bypass that I'm researching, which do I believe?

I recently changed the oil and it was pitch (tar) black. In my gasser, that would be a warning sign to me that a) the oil had been in the engine too long or b) that something was hosed (or becoming so) internally. What about on the Cummins?

Oh - and to speak to the recommendations for getting the oil sampled instead of just blindly changing at some mileage / hourly interval, does the community have a preferred facility?

Thank you!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been changing my conventional oil every 6k miles, although I too am looking at the Amsoil system. My next oil change should be due in spring and I am pretty sure I will be changing over to their system and oil. I will be doing oil samples then to see how things work. Don't worry about black oil, that is par for the course with these bad boys.

·
Jeremy
1,992 Posts
I change mine at 5k just so I don't have to do any math. I recently signed up to do a Sample of the oil I will let you know how that pans out with in the next month or so.

I dont recall who I ordered the kit from but I think it was 25bucks to get it done.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think changing oil every 3750 miles was for severe conditions and that it was 7500 miles for normal driving. I just change mine every 5k like "rootkit" just because it's easy to remember when I changed my oil last.

·
Takin' Care of Old Red
881 Posts
I change mine every 6,000-7,000 miles. I just ordered an oil test kit from blackstone labs and will sending it in soon.

Don't worry about black oil, it basically turns black as soon as you put it in

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.