DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a half assed search I decided I would just ask.
For those with the Infinity sound system and aftermarket speakers... What exactly did you do? What speakers were used?
I am hesitant to buy some nice 3 way whatevers if I am only going to get low frequencies out of them. Anyone know of a 6x9 sub?
Very curious as to what you all have done.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's interesting. Image Dynamics make a similar product. Problem with either is that they require way more power than the infinity system will provide.

I've been looking into options on this front, too. Haven't found a suitable answer budget-wise... yet.

I was wondering if the Polk mm691 would work to add more bass? They are a 3-ohm speaker. Most aftermarket speakers are 4-ohm. But from I've read, the Polks are a little power hungry, so again I don't think the Infinity amp will suffice.

Curious if anyone else will have any good ideas.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
After a half assed search I decided I would just ask.
For those with the Infinity sound system and aftermarket speakers... What exactly did you do? What speakers were used?
I am hesitant to buy some nice 3 way whatevers if I am only going to get low frequencies out of them. Anyone know of a 6x9 sub?
Very curious as to what you all have done.
I have an 04 with the Infinity system and I bought Kicker DS650s for my front and rear doors. I did have 6*9s in the front and 5 1/4s in the rear so I fabbed some MDF panels for each. I ran all new 14ga wiring since the OEM wiring is 18ga. I can tell you know the DS650s put out some low and strong freq but I dint use them for that. 6*9 subs. Nope.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really just want a good set of speakers to run up front that will handle the stock head unit. I have been through a couple sets replaced by the dealer, but it is getting old. I would rather the speakers be done and not have to worry about them.
By the way. I run the Bass level at 6 and rarely turn the radio past 30. I listen to blues, classic rock, and Howard. Are these speakers really that sensitive, or should I think there is something wrong with the amp or head uinit?

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I really just want a good set of speakers to run up front that will handle the stock head unit. I have been through a couple sets replaced by the dealer, but it is getting old. I would rather the speakers be done and not have to worry about them.
By the way. I run the Bass level at 6 and rarely turn the radio past 30. I listen to blues, classic rock, and Howard. Are these speakers really that sensitive, or should I think there is something wrong with the amp or head uinit?
Time for an upgrade to something aftermarket then bro.

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
Mopar and Kicker went together and made some direct replacement speakers for the trucks that came equipped with the Infinity stuff. I've seen them on Ebay. They also have a 10" Kicker sub that's supposed to be a plug and play simple install but the stuff isn't cheap.

·
bubbagoonboy
798 Posts
I know i have asked about the stock infinity sound system before. I know there is an amp behind the dash and was told once i replace the stock cd player the speakers never sound the same....is this true? Because i am looking at upgrading a little bit. Also i have a rattle in my driver door speaker any input on that will help.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
replacing the stock with aftermarket can only sound better (unless you buy cheap gear)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am learning the hard way that to substantially improve the sound system over the infinity requires a healthy budget.

So far I've installed an Alpine 9886 ($300), Ipod/RCA cable ($30), harness, antenna adapter and fit kit ($45), Kenwood 4-ch x 75watt amp (marked way down to $150), Boston Acoustic SL60 components ($170), Alpine Type S's in the rear which I yanked becasuse they sounded terrible. Need to order different rear speakers still, so another $125 for SL65's. Plus wiring kits, speaker adapters, amp power wire, installation, etc.

Still need to spend around $200 to get my steering wheel buttons working with the new Alpine (newer trucks need not one but two interfaces!).

While it all sounds cleaner and my doors don't rattle when the volume is cranked, it's not yet substantially better than what I had. As poor as those infinity 6x9's are constructed, they actually do produce more bass than I have at the moment. I'm going to need to throw more money at it to get it right. I have a sub box from Supercrew and a new JL w3 sub to go in, but I'm losing interest in a hurry.

With the sub, I'm going to be around $1500, and I don't think I went over the top in any way. I was trying to get the best bang for my buck and I didn't achieve it yet. For the time being, I can run the sub bridged off the rear channels of my amp, but down the road I'll be looking to upgrade that as well. Maybe another $400 or $500?

Not trying to discourage anyone- just think you need to be realistic that good sound is going to cost some real money. I'm considering swapping back to factory at the moment as I really can't be throwing too much more money at this system.

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
I hear ya. I've been down that road before. I've been happy with the Infinity sound system but I would like to at least add that little extra punch via a 10" sub like the Mopar/Kicker kit I've seen but I wish they weren't so proud of it. I also have the fold-flat storage under my rear seats which is why I just want the one sub for the driver-side rear seat.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
@ ramdonkey

Everything I bought I picked carefully on ebay and saved a ton of dough. Everything was BNIB and even got my Clifford 50.7x there

·
Registered
239 Posts
Weedahoe, I agree with buying some stuff on ebay- had to do it to save some money. Headunit I bought from dealer- figured I'd throw them a bone. (And a full warranty seemed like a good idea.) There are some good deals to be had, no doubt about it. I just found that doing everything adds up. As much as I've sunk into this, it would have cost hundreds more if I went through the dealer for all the parts.

Problem I have now is that I need to go even bigger if I really want it to sound great. So far it's not where I need it to be.

I was mostly satisfied with the Infinity system- just feel it's lacking in bass and that the 6x9's distort too early and end up shaking the door panels. From reading on this site- there doesn't seem to be a clear, easy answer. At least not if budget is a concern.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Problem I have now is that I need to go even bigger if I really want it to sound great. So far it's not where I need it to be.
IDK where you are at but I do know about it being a costly project. Ive got about $1300 in mine and thats with everything off ebay as I said earlier. I dont even wanna think of how much it would cost at a retail store plus installations costs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.