DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through a few other threads in the theme "Help my truck won't start!", but I thought I would add another. :)

I drove the truck last week when it was about 60 and it ran fine. It's always been a little troublesome starting (takes about 12 pumps of the pedal and a little lovin' to get going) but it started. However this weekend I tried to start it and it would crank but not turn over - its now in the 30s during the day. I have fuel to the carb and power from the battery so I went through and replaced the distributor cap, coil and plug wires. Nothing changed, still no start.

So any thoughts? I have no idea how to test the choke heater, so I guess it could be that? Also, I heard there is a fuse for the choke heater? I checked all my fuses under the dash and none of them say anything about the choke and all of them are fine. Is it somewhere else?

Would a block heater help? Anyone have experience with this - http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...00836/p-2000836/N-111+10201+600001648/c-10101 or something like it?

Any help or information is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey, does the choke close at all? Take off the air cleaner and see whats going on when you try to start. The plate should be fully closed.

On mine the choke is not working at all, you have to manually close it. Usually I put a chunk of metal bar on top to keep it closed so I can start it and let it run for a bit. Yes, its ghetto, but I'll get around to rebuilding/fixing the thing eventually.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My first vehicle was a 79 D-150 Adventurer . I had a issue with my choke can't quite remember what it was but the end result was that I unhooked it being young I thought I didn't have time to fix anything. The point to this is that I drove it year round without a choke granted that in the winter time I had to stay with it to keep it running or if I took off right after it started I would have to baby it until the RPM's came up. I maybe wrong but a motor should start and run without a choke just not as efficient and easily in the cold. So I think that the guys that have trucks that won't start period have issues other than the choke.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
I don't run a choke on mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A block heater could help if you were talking about cold temperature no-start situations. To me, 30 degrees does not count. The reason I say that is that the block heater really only sort of warms things up. When it is cold (ambient temps, not wind chill, well below 0 degrees F and actually in the negative digits) then gasoline does not vaporize well. The warming of the engine from a block heater helps in this situation (though the real benefit is that at these colder temps, the oil flows better taking relatively less effort to crank the motor.. As temps drop so does the battery output, saving wear and tear). Any way, to get at your questions: I personally do not like those magnetic type heaters. For the cost of that heater, you likely could rebuild your carb (if needed) or go along way to fix what is the problem.

The fact that you say you need to pump it a dozen times suggests there may be something else going on. How is the battery? How are the plugs? Did you make sure you are getting a strong spark from the coil? What about spark at the plugs? Are you getting fuel? Is your idle mixture correct?

I had issues with my carb (actually still fighting the accelerator pump). After I rebuilt it, and made sure the ignition system was in googd shape, I can now start my truck in 10-15 degree (F) weather consistently with a single push to the floor and a slow let off to set the choke and a quick bump of the ignition.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
My 76 W100 has a manual choke. Some people can start it OK and others can't start it at all. I have no problem starting it no matter how cold. Must be how you hold your nose...;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
buck99 said:
My 76 W100 has a manual choke. Some people can start it OK and others can't start it at all. I have no problem starting it no matter how cold. Must be how you hold your nose...;)
There is definatly a certain way to start a vehicle with a manual choke to much choke its flooded to little and it will spit and sputter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rolnblok said:
The fact that you say you need to pump it a dozen times suggests there may be something else going on. How is the battery? How are the plugs? Did you make sure you are getting a strong spark from the coil? What about spark at the plugs? Are you getting fuel? Is your idle mixture correct?
Battery is good with a fresh charge. I pulled two plugs when I replaced the wires and they were good (did the plugs last winter). Have spark and fuel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It cranks just no fire? have you laid a sparkplug on the manifold to see if it sparks? tried starting fluid? how much gas it got? if it isn't fresh gas it may have went bad. I have an old ford truck that takes a few pumps to get started but if its been sitting a few days especialy in the cold it can take three or four cycles of pumping gas 10-20 times then cranking for about 3 seconds before it starts to fire. can take a couple extra cycles to get it to stay running. once it warms up your good. it will fire right up then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news! I got the truck started! I went back and pulled all the plugs. The ones I pulled before (1 & 3) were the only decent ones. All the others were fouled. Replaced them all and BAM!

However, it's running like shit under load and at idle. I'm thinking timing? Probably after Christmas I'll slap a timing light on it and see what it says.

Through all this I also noticed my passenger valve cover has a leak. So, I'm thinking a set of Mopar Performance valve covers will make a very nice Christmas present to myself :D

·
Buck99
667 Posts
84 Ram said:
I am a big fan of fabricated valve covers
Looks like these would seal real well...plus look great. :rck:

I've got a couple of sets of old school M/T covers that I've had wrinkle coated to look like the MP covers. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hard stating Dodge truck

My 75 pwr wagon would not start when weather was damp. checked all the usual plugs, wires, etc.
Finally pulled distributor, when I put on bench and rotated found that shaft was out of round.
Dodges have great spark so when weather was dry truck ran good,However when damp engine did not get spark needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.