DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been wanting to get a cam, springs, push rods since I bought my truck... Seems like the best way to make some more horse power out of the hemi...

I guess since im going to go through all this to get a cam in there, Im wanting the best bang for my buck...

Ive been searching forever... But im 100% lost when it comes to the 112/118 all that LSA crap...

Is there a "cam for dummies" or something that I can research on?

Basically I want to run the comp268 or sidewinder... Is there a more aggresive cam that I should look at?

I will probably be selling my superchips and contacting Hemifever or a local shop was trying to talk me into a custom lap top tune..

Seems like every dealer that Ive contacted doesnt want to help me make a list of part numbers / prices on everything I need to buy...

Rocky

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
comp 268 is a great cam or you can get a custom one made for you truck by stu and inertia motorsports. its the same price... other then that to install it you will need 6.1 springs, longer pushrods, new cam bolt and crank bolt, coolant, and an oil change. Then you have to have all of the special tools to do the install. I would suggest contacting Hemifever for your tune and get an SCT i wonldnt even bother with diablo. As far as getting it installed, Luke (400rwhphemi) can do the install if you cant tackle the job yourself. He lives 30 min north of detroit, michigan.

Stu is running a special right now: Cam of your choice, 6.1 intake/custom ex pushrod, install kit and springs. Normally $725 shipped - $665 shipped

you cant beat that price.

·
Pb Pes
155 Posts
check your PM s

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
hey man i would look at a custom cam. i ahve installed about 25-30 of these things and i can tell you i 2 sidewinders that i did i have not been all that impressed with. they did not seem to perform as well as i keephearing them bragged about on LXF. its possable that the cars i installed them on just did not like them i dont know. but i was honestly not all that impressed. allthough they would start and idle on the stock tune. i dont know if they were driveable like that or not, but they did run. i would seriously look into the deal posted about from inertia. stu isa really great guy to deal with and you tell him what your after performance wise and he will set you up with the cam you need. good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Pb Pes
155 Posts
hey man i would look at a custom cam. i ahve installed about 25-30 of these things and i can tell you i 2 sidewinders that i did i have not been all that impressed with. they did not seem to perform as well as i keephearing them bragged about on LXF. its possable that the cars i installed them on just did not like them i dont know. but i was honestly not all that impressed. allthough they would start and idle on the stock tune. i dont know if they were driveable like that or not, but they did run. i would seriously look into the deal posted about from inertia. stu isa really great guy to deal with and you tell him what your after performance wise and he will set you up with the cam you need. good luck and let us know what you decide.
The main reason I picked the sidewinder was because I wanted to keep my MDS. I am happy with my gains and the lack of the pretty little yellow picture of an engine on my console, but to be honest I have only my butt dyno to go by. I have no track numbers, no dyno numbers, nor have I ridden in another truck with a different setup.
And I agree, there are several vehicles on the lxforums that claim to have high numbers, but in truth they average gain with sidewinder alone is between 15 and 30 rwhp, IMO not much for the price.
However, in this case his does not have MDS plus the tuning is available to make virtually any cam viable for our 5.7s.

I pm'ed him in hopes of avoiding a non-dt sponsors product conflict.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
I pm'ed him in hopes of avoiding a non-dt sponsors product conflict.
no conflict here. im just letting him know what i have personally experianced. i agree with you about the sidewinder its great for limited tuning. i have seen it run well on the 2 cars i have installed it on. but i think that he would be better off talking to a diffrent company. unlesshe wants a really tune friendly cam. but if he is looking for all out performance there are other ways to go. i was not attempting to bash on anything fri puts out. I am not loyal to any one company because i do not get payed from any of them to be loyal. but i do push some my customers towards the people that i deal with because i like the stuff they make. and i support them in turn.

·
Pb Pes
155 Posts
no conflict here. im just letting him know what i have personally experianced. i agree with you about the sidewinder its great for limited tuning. i have seen it run well on the 2 cars i have installed it on. but i think that he would be better off talking to a diffrent company. unlesshe wants a really tune friendly cam. but if he is looking for all out performance there are other ways to go. i was not attempting to bash on anything fri puts out. I am not loyal to any one company because i do not get payed from any of them to be loyal. but i do push some my customers towards the people that i deal with because i like the stuff they make. and i support them in turn.
Cool, maybe when I delete my mds, and go full track with weight reduction, Drag Radials, etc., I will give one of Inertias cams a whirl. Of course I would have to change my avatar...lol, It seems that a good portion of the record holders are running them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
custom cam from inertia is the way to go

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want aggressive you might want to check out the Spartan max from inertia or the SRT MAX from inertia. I have the srt max now and it blows away the sidewinder I used to have.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
comp 268 is a great cam or you can get a custom one made for you truck by stu and inertia motorsports. its the same price... other then that to install it you will need 6.1 springs, longer pushrods, new cam bolt and crank bolt, coolant, and an oil change. Then you have to have all of the special tools to do the install. I would suggest contacting Hemifever for your tune and get an SCT i wonldnt even bother with diablo. As far as getting it installed, Luke (400rwhphemi) can do the install if you cant tackle the job yourself. He lives 30 min north of detroit, michigan.

Stu is running a special right now: Cam of your choice, 6.1 intake/custom ex pushrod, install kit and springs. Normally $725 shipped - $665 shipped

true story

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats, ill have to look into that...

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts

\

thanks much!!

but yes the 268 cam is a very very good cam to run.. but it wont run on the superchips if you have a 03..

the sidewinder will run with the superchips but you still would want a custom tune some how..

either way i am 5 hours from you if you need a install done.. i have 70+ under my belt..

·
Banned
312 Posts
Ive got the spartan max but i wouldnt do an SRT max on stock heads, might not see as much gain that you would from a spartan or spartan max. And the spartan max is a single pattern cam. A little more subtle than the old long exhaust duration mentality.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
You can't run as much cam on a Hemi as compairable wedge engines. If you give me a call we can figure out what your looking for and spec a cam to match. The main issues are what your are using for tuning if any, weight of your truck and then if your going to run a high stall converter. I do have a special right now for the cam and everything needed for the install except fluids for $665 shipped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.