DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one brought the feed hose throught the cowl area into where the wiper motor is? Seams to me that with the way that big empty box just sits there, you could pass a hose through the pannel and connect a filter on the other side. Pluses... Huge plenum type area, shielded from engine compartment heat, already has drainage built in. Minuses... cutting a 4" hole means it's not an easily reversable mod, may amplify the turbo noise, cowl cover has to be removed to service air filter.
I know the Scotty air filter does something similar but they still have their filter in the engine bay.
I could mold up a plug for a box to make a flat filter (k&N) fit in this area... anyone interested?
Let me know.... Chris

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I think that although the Scotty system is in the engine bay, it is still totally confined so it doesn't get any hot underhood air.
Honestly, by the time the air goes through the filter, down the tube to the turbo, through the intercooler. and into the intake, do you think it really helps having the air a couple degrees cooler?

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just figured that cooler in is cooler out. I never liked the way the stock air inlet was fed from the inner fender, great source of dust. I know the windshield gets dirty but when I see all the dirt the tires kick up..... My air filter looks like it's been dragged through a sandbox after a few thousand miles. I guess thats a given since there is a huge vacumme cleaner on the other side of it. Besides, this would free up alot of valuable underhood space for important things like an under hood welder! Again, just thinking out loud but if there were enough interest I could make the mold for the air box and pull a few pieces. Do the 3G Bodies have the same plenum area under the cowl?

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
My air filter got so clogged after the first 10,000 miles I drove that I could mash my foot to the floor and the truck would hardly move. Having the intake coming through the fender is a really stupid idea. I had a 95 Dakota 318 and the intake was right in the grill and I was driving through some high water and sucked about a gallon of water into the engine! It's not a good feeling listening to popcorn under the hood of a 3 month old truck!! I drained and refilled the oil a couple of times and sent it to the dealer and played stupid. I paid nothing for the $5000.00 repair bill and I even have one of my bent up rods. It's pretty funny looking......
I'm not sure about the area under the cowl...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do not know if there will be much of a performance gain, but it isnt' a bad idea. There is one of the aftermarket systems that does have you cut a hole and install a filter through that area. It's hard to explain, but it is like what you are talking. There is an interesting post on the TDR right now about the different air filters and the filtering capacity. If I get permission from him, I'll post it over here.

Josh

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so should I begin the molding process? Wont take long with the self expanding foam I have. Pour some in the cavity, cut away what i need to for the filter to fit and use the plug to pull parts from the mold... any takers? I'll make a few and you guys can try them out. If they work I'll shop the idea... PM me with addresses etc. and I'll get to work...Chris

·
Registered
697 Posts
You may only change the turbo inlet air temp by a couple degrees, the more air is compressed the hotter it gets, your best bet would be to do whatever you want with the intake and then go and buy a really efficient aftercooler. The scotty air inlet has a good idea, but it still is a pretty small hole. No matter what you do, I wouldn't spend too much on the pre-turbo air, because it is most likely over 300 degrees after the turbo anyways. Some people use a air to water cooler (cold coolant chills incoming air instead of ambient air chilling it) The problem is, finding and unused place for anything in our trucks, there's not a premium on unused engine compartment space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.