Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site, hello all.

My wife and I bought a 2000 Intrepid used from a Dodge dealer about 2.5 years ago. It now has 78,000 miles and I'm pretty sure I've got a main bearing going out. I've changed the oil regularly and used 10w40 Castrol GTX. (In the winter I used 5w30 per the owners manual)

I've done some searches on the net and I see that I'm not the only one with this problem. Does anyone know if Dodge is doing anything for their customers relating to this sludge issue?

I've always done my own "out of warranty" repairs on all my vehicles and I guess this will be the same. I see in the Haines manual that you can drop the pan with the motor in the car. Does anyone know if you can replace the main bearings without pulling the crank on this engine. I've done that on a couple V-8's in the past. It is a pain to get that upper bearing half out, but it can be done on some engines. The "ticking" is pretty mild at this point and only occurs at certain engine loading points. I don't think the crank is damaged enough to require replacement.

Thanks for the site! Any advise would be appreciated. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
13 Posts
My advise would be drive it until it blows then replace the 2.7 with a 3.2/3.5.. if you are thinking of going to the trouble of dropping the pan and replacing the crank bearings then i would think about going ahead and doing the swap.. you will be happier in the long run i think,,

JMO.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My advice is the smae change the 2.7 with a 3.2 because you wll have the same issue 2.7s still blow after being rebuilt im doing a swap this weekend in mine as it blew on my way home from vacation monday...ps had a great vacation :) the 3.2 doesnt seam to be to expensive i got one with 34k for 900.00 look at this thread to see mods to be done i will update after i do mine with how things went
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not mean to bash anyone, but there is a known problem with the 2.7. It has a design problem. the newer 2.7 have larger oiling passages in the block and do not have the problem with the oiling system that the other had. Check out the dia of the oil passages between the two engines.

I personally have a 99 Trep. with a 2.7 ( or should i say had a 2.7) and changed and still do change the oil every 3K miles. my car crapped out on me at 75K. Crank bearing went. Put a 3.2 in it and tore the 2.7 down. what a mess. AND YES I BOUGHT THE CAR NEW. I have helped many other people do the swap. same thing oil change every 3k and bought the car new.

Explain this...

SO MUCH FOR THE COMPANY LINE....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.