DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have heard that AMSOIL is great oil to run. However, I want to hear what you guys think. I really dont know much about it though. Is it worth the 6$ per qt. or not, what makes it better than a syn blend that is avail from one of the big companies, I have always used Valvoline. :help:

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
I've been using Amsoil products for some time in my Ram. For engine oil, I'm using 5W30 XL. Change every 5,000 with filter. I'm also using Severe Gear in both differentials, and Amsoil ATF in the transmission and transfer case. The biggest thing I have noticed with the transmission is, it runs cooler, and shifts much smoother. As for the engine oil, I noticed the engine idles smoother and oil pressure comes up to norm more quickly.

·
Banned
62 Posts
I think mobil 1 is just as good and cheaper.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The biggest difference between synthetic and conventional motor oil is the amount of lubrication it provides for a given time.
Synthetic will usually last longer before braking down compared to conventional.
Their are some people that are running pure synthetic oil that requires changing every 8000- 10000 miles.
I still use Quaker State, which is a conventional, and change it every 3000 miles.
To answer you question, with that high of a price, it's probably a pure synthetic, and may even have some type of friction modifier in it, so it could go longer between oil changes and may provide some type of added lubrication.
But like stated above, I have used the same oil for a long time, and never had any lubrication failure...so if your current oil is not causing a problem why change it?

I have seen good results about certain brand ATF fluids, such as trick shift.
And the same can be said for Royal Purple gear lube.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I switched to Valvoline instead of using Valvoline Syntec. Mainly because it has oil conditioners that keep the seals good longer and the only good thing about synthetic oil is that is lasts longer and I change my oil eveyr 3,000 miles anways.

·
Banned
62 Posts
doesn't PAO class IV synthetic oils(mobil1, amsoil, royal purple)help decrease friction and gain a little HP. Vasoline, quakerrape and caster oil are class III synthetic oils(not really synthetic just broken down so much the courts say they can call and sell their oil as a "synthetic")

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
Loud_Dodge said:
I switched to Valvoline instead of using Valvoline Syntec. Mainly because it has oil conditioners that keep the seals good longer and the only good thing about synthetic oil is that is lasts longer and I change my oil eveyr 3,000 miles anways.
same here. I'd change it every 3,000 anyway so whats the point, lol? I don't like the idea of having the same oil in my engine for 7-8k or more miles. Hell that would be almost all year without an oil change the way I drive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been thinking of running Amsoil in my 99 Ram, I do have experience running it in my dirtbike though. After changing to Amsoil in My Honda XR400 (4 stroke thumper) with an oil temp dipstick, I have seen an Honest 15-20 degree drop in oil temps with the exact same type of riding. This really has me thinking, this drop could only come from (1) Less friction, or (2) better heat transfer by the oil for cooling. Either way, It is a definate benifit, and just has to be good for the motor. Just my $.02

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have run Amsoil in my truck for several years now and last year when I had the intake replaced with the M1 to do away with the plenum gasket problem the oil at the time had 7000 miles on it and the engine looked new inside. No sludge build up. I had it changed at the time of the intake changeout. I regularly have it changed at 7000 miles using the 5w30 Amsoil with a NAPA Gold filter. The truck now has 115,000 miles on it and runs great. Completly satisfied. Well worth the price. Also run it in the tranny and both differentials. The tranny is the original 46re.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I run either Amsoil or Valvoline synthetic in my van and in my car.
I have used Mobil 1 and was not impressed. It broke down as fast (turned dark) and boiled off as fast as dino oil whereas Amsoil and Valvoline do not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the posts and your thoughts guys, It sounds that those who have used it feel that it is a good investment and are happy with it. those who havent seem to have their reasons, I think that i will go with it for my self. one more question though, I have 203,000 on the orig. drivetrain :rck: and will eventually switch all oil tranny and diff's but ill start with the oil. is it still ok to run the syn amsoil in an old motor. the motor and tranny are still strong, motor runs smooth and has great power(feels just as good if not better than my 01 ram did) and the tranny shifts well and doesn't slip. enough of my blabering, is it ok to run in "Old Blue" (my truck) :gr_patrio

·
Registered
65 Posts
Running synthetic in an engine with that many miles will clean the gunk in the seals out and may cause you to find leaks. When I switched to synthetic at 235,000 miles I also replaced the oil pump pickup screan front and rear seal timing chain and did the plenum all at the same time. If you decide to go to synthetic I highly recommend running an engine flush additive then change the oil using dino oil run the truck for a few daysa then another engine flush and oil change with using synthetic oil.

·
Registered
231 Posts
bobem12 said:
same here. I'd change it every 3,000 anyway so whats the point, lol? I don't like the idea of having the same oil in my engine for 7-8k or more miles. Hell that would be almost all year without an oil change the way I drive.
I switched to Valvoline MaxLife. I just noticed that I had left out the "MaxLife".

·
Registered
503 Posts
I run amsoil in all my running gear. The mileage of my truck should speak for it's self. Every major componet is original and the truck still runs great.

If you do switch to Amsoil, Expect to use a little more oil. I bought my truck at 21,000 miles and even then I used about a quart every 2500 miles. Now it's about a quart every 2000 miles. For fun one time I ran some dino and the truck didn't use a drop in 2000 miles, So for whatever reason, My truck burns a little Amsoil.

·
Banned
62 Posts
I use mobil1 and I never lose oil.....always constant, always full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 99 Dodge Cummins and use Amsoil throughout the truck. Transmission runs cooler and I get better mileage. In addition, I put 43,000 mile on the truck without changing the oil out after having the truck with 5,000 miles on it. It now has 75,000 miles on it. With Amsoil, I did conduct oil analysis every 10,000 to 15K miles and the oil came back stating it was in good condition each time. I do not plan to change out the out anymore! I will conduct oil analysis though as Amsoil recommends. PS: I have over 400,000 miles on my 87 toyota camery and usually go will over 35,000 miles between oil changes. I do have the air filters and oil bypass system on each vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.