DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a RV show today and talked to a Amsoil rep that had a booth. He claims that their signature series oil and filters are tested and guaranteed for 25K service. Also their trans fluid that replaces ATF+4 will go 100k miles. I did a search and didnt come up with but one person claiming to do this. Also someone claimed this oil isnt API certified and the product catalog he gave me has an API service # for all these products and they claim it is.
Basicly Im skeptical of an oil that can go a year without being changed and doesnt get broken down by blowby or get consumed in this interval. Ive always been a dino oil 3K miles oil change guy myself and wondering what your thoughts are. I believe in real people using products in real driving conditions tests not what a manufacturers paid representative tells me.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
my truck has over 212k miles on it and I use amsoil and change it about 25k+/once a year.

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my truck has over 212k miles on it and I use amsoil and change it about 25k+/once a year.
Yep! You were the one person I found using it in my search. Sounds like it has worked well for you but Im still curious to hear a few more testimonies. Lets see who else chimes in. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
727 Posts
FWIW - have a friend that bought a '94 Ram 2500 diesel brand new. Has run nothing but Amsoil and only changed the oil when the analysis indicated it was due to be changed. Last I talked to him (about 2 years ago) he had over 240K and usually averaged 80K miles between oil drains.

He did run into a problem though. Since the drain plug was not being removed on a regular basis, it eventually seized and would not loosen during the last oil change. The oil pan was beginning to buckle. Took it to the dealer and it was going to be $1500 to replace the oil pan (have to lift the engine from what I understood). As far as I know he still has the truck - haven't heard from him much - he decided to leave his wife of 20+ years saying they had grown apart.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I use Amsoil and the filter, but change mine every 10-15k. We sold my wifes Trailblazer with 212,000 miles running perfectly using Amsoil and 15k changes. I run Amsoil in my diffs as well as all of my vehicles and power sports (ATV, SportBike, ect)

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
I use Amsoil and the filter, but change mine every 10-15k. We sold my wifes Trailblazer with 212,000 miles running perfectly using Amsoil and 15k changes. I run Amsoil in my diffs as well as all of my vehicles and power sports (ATV, SportBike, ect)
Same here, I run amsoil oil/filters but change it 10-15k

·
Registered
348 Posts
:imo

Sorry if I'm old school, but if you got a $30-40,000 truck and you have to decide weather to spend an additional $80 bucks on an additional oil change, I missed the question. When Mobil One was introduced, they also advertised 25,000 mile changes. It did not hold up in real world use. I believe in Amsoil, but normally change it when the oil level approches the add line, at about 6-6,500 miles. My last truck, a rice burner, was at almost 300K when I gave it up due to metal fatigue. Did not use any oil (dino)between changes, and the engine was never apart. So what? I value Amsoil's extra protection at the extremes, easier starting when near zero and I picked up a little on the mpgs. I drive all my vehicles until they are unreliable and use about 1500 gallons of gas a year, $6000 at today's prices. The extra oil change now and then is cheap insurance in my mind. Oh yea, the metal fatigue was a head on collision( at only about 30 MPH)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
:imo

Sorry if I'm old school, but if you got a $30-40,000 truck and you have to decide weather to spend an additional $80 bucks on an additional oil change, I missed the question. When Mobil One was introduced, they also advertised 25,000 mile changes. It did not hold up in real world use. I believe in Amsoil, but normally change it when the oil level approches the add line, at about 6-6,500 miles. My last truck, a rice burner, was at almost 300K when I gave it up due to metal fatigue. Did not use any oil (dino)between changes, and the engine was never apart. So what? I value Amsoil's extra protection at the extremes, easier starting when near zero and I picked up a little on the mpgs. I drive all my vehicles until they are unreliable and use about 1500 gallons of gas a year, $6000 at today's prices. The extra oil change now and then is cheap insurance in my mind. Oh yea, the metal fatigue was a head on collision( at only about 30 MPH)
Thats a difference there. When I change my oil at 10-15k, mine is still at the full mark. Heres a good read for you, and addresses your Mobile 1 claim:

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/skeptic-doesamsoilreallywork.php

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like it indeed works well. I figured I would ask before I tried it myself. Im gonna try the 5W20 signature oil with the EaO filter and considering the ATF transmission fluid. Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
348 Posts
V2Rider,

As I stated it was my opinion and my truck. Additionally, I take advertising claims with a grain of salt. I admit, I may over due preventive maintenance. When a hose goes, I replace all of them with fresh antifreeze. When a bulb goes, I replace all that I can reach since I have taken whatever apart. Tires are replaced before I get to the indicators because I believe in the extra margin of safety.

When it comes to the transmission and pinions, I like opening it up and cleaning it out. Back in the day when I assisted with tranny work, the majority of failures were due to filters restricting the flow due to the normal wear of the clutches. I also change my brake fluid. Getting 10-15 years out of vehicle is not unusual for me. Right now I have a 98 Lincoln (purchased new), my 04 Ram (purchased new), 82 Fiat Spider (yea, cousin to the Ram) and a 77 750K Honda also purchased new. Now if I could keep my small engines running on this E10, I'd be overjoyed.

As stated previously, I use Amsoil by choice, maintenace by desire and drive a Dodge by preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.