DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am at the parts Counter at the Dealer, picking up my overpriced MOpar branded Transmission filters. The parts guy recomended the mopar ATF+4, I told him I was covered...I was getting AMSOIL...thinking he would be impressed.:rck: Nope he proceded to give me a ration of shit about AMSOIL and how the AMS ATF is not licensed by Chrysler and will void my warranty.:huh: I said yeah whatever what do you use for oil in your car, seeing if he was running the mopar gunk oil. He said he only runs Mobil One for everything. (Pre AMSOIL I swore by Mobil ONE). So I walked away thinking he was a D-bag, :crazy:and saw him later crusie out of the lot in a sweet 3rd gen Cummins.. I decided to prove him wronge using my amazing skills of googleing. I was a little shocked at what i came up with. Here it is...this doesnt break my love of AMSOIL but I am not sure I want to put it in my tranny now.
You AMSOIL guys need to convince me.:teacher:
http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Interesting!

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Hmmm. Licensed=$ paid to the folks that issued the license, not whether it's "up to snuff". If you have a failure, what are they gonna do, dip a finger in it and say, "Tastes like Amsoil to me. On your way, heathen."

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Licensed=$ paid to the folks that issued the license, not whether it's "up to snuff". If you have a failure, what are they gonna do, dip a finger in it and say, "Tastes like Amsoil to me. On your way, heathen."
I am far from underwarranty? Agreed, on the licensing doesnt make it better, but why have they not gotten lic. There is a company named Lubegard that says they have an additive that turns any ATF into ATF+4..anyone can make claims. If AMSOIL is the best why would they not.....

·
Registered
60 Posts

C'mon there Mike......You are smart enough to know that they will test the fluids if they are replacing a major end item like a tranny

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Update....a company called Lubrizol owns the patent with chysler to the friction modifier that makes ATF+4 what it is. The licenced companies are required to buy from them. Not sure that makes it better or worse for AMSOIL, we know they dont buy the additive and cause of patent laws they cant be making it, but also makes the lic look like a money grab. BTW Lubrizol is behind Mercon and Dexron too.
http://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdditives/AutomaticTransmissionFluidAdditives/default.html

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
I wouldn't use amsoil atf+4. If it were up to snuff, they would just pay the money and get the cert. They're not some small mom and pop company, they're a big player in specialty oils. They have the dough to cover the cert. Where there's smoke....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't use amsoil atf+4. If it were up to snuff, they would just pay the money and get the cert. They're not some small mom and pop company, they're a big player in specialty oils. They have the dough to cover the cert. Where there's smoke....
Agreed but I have been so on the AMSOIL bandwagon. It started when I came across a whitepaper about oil quality. AMSOIL was #1 in 90% of the motor oil testings in this paper only losing in a test or two to Mobile One.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I dont see Royal Purple on the list. It seems like alot of people on here use that in their trans as well. HMMM well I guess im gonna stick to something on that list..I aswell use only Amsoil

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
if amsoil paid for the licensing, ill bet it drives up the cost of the oil to the point where most people wont use it. honestly, i use mopar atf. its a great trans fluid and isnt that expensive.

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'll never use anything that isn't certified. As this stuff is suppose to so good, then why doesn't it get certified.

Amsoil=bad
hate the bandwagon!

·
Chad Loves His Hemi
447 Posts
Ive also been an advocate on only using certified products.. Wont even think about Amsoil anymore.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
The certified oil argument reminds me of a part in the movie Tommy Boy. :D

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh!t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Vehicles fail everyday on certified oils and fluids. ;)

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
The certified oil argument reminds me of a part in the movie Tommy Boy. :D

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh!t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Vehicles fail everyday on certified oils and fluids. ;)
:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny

CLASSIC!

Im one of the people that I dont care what I use as long as I watch and check the fluids on a regular basis then I can tell when they need to be changed. In order for a product to be sold for use in multiple types of vehicles it has to meet certain requirements.
I did fall into the crowd on the Sig series oil from them though as I can say I do like it far better than any oil ive ever used. 2k miles and the oil is still crystal clear.
Also, if AMSOIL was such a bad company then why are they one of the fastest growing synthetic oil companies in the world?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Back in the day like the 70's they use to call in "SNAKE OIL". I'm not sure why they call it that.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
I love amsoil motor oils, but I wouldn;t use it in my tranny either

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.