DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty familiar with car audio and wiring. However, I am fairly out of the loop as far as current Brands and quality, especially when it comes to wiring. I've already made up my mind to do components up front, and 3 ways in the rear powered by an amp. Also a second amp powering 2 subs in a foxbox. Ill explain this further in another place.
So for the sake of not starting a brand bash war, ill say my mono amp takes a 0/1gauge and amp #2 will take 4 gauge.
I'm going to redo all of the factory wiring. What's brands would you recommend? And a few good, reasonable places to get them?
Keep in mind these are only wiring brands needed. Ill let yall check out the rest when I'm closer to being done.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Go to a welding supply house, wire is wire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, thats what I've always thought as well. However, I have read alot about SQ improvement with different metal connectors, and the braiding of the wire. Also, since I am doing front/rear Left/Right component & speaker combo, I also read better RCA cables. I'm not one to believe everything I see on first glance, thats why I have my doubts, and am asking around before I drop money on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your power/ground wire is going to make NO difference as long as it is the proper guage. Get it from wherever you want.

As far as speaker wire, I have used this ~~> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-481 30M is enough to do a couple vehicles, or you can buy it by the foot. I like using a dual conductor speaker cable with insulation on the outside to make running it easier, and better protect the cable itself from abrasion.

I get all my interconnects from Monoprice, these ~~~> http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1021803&p_id=2866&seq=1&format=1#largeimage are of quality that is on par with ANY premium cable out there and they are less than $5 for 25ft. Sounds too good to be true, but I have never had a problem with them and have replaced monster cables with them and had NO degredation in SQ.

Really do your research and you will find that for the most part, short of having features you might want (jacketed speaker cables for instance) it is true that cable is cable is cable.

Nick

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the detailed answer. I appreciate the quick responses.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Your power/ground wire is going to make NO difference as long as it is the proper guage. Get it from wherever you want.

As far as speaker wire, I have used this ~~> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-481 30M is enough to do a couple vehicles, or you can buy it by the foot. I like using a dual conductor speaker cable with insulation on the outside to make running it easier, and better protect the cable itself from abrasion.

I get all my interconnects from Monoprice, these ~~~> http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1021803&p_id=2866&seq=1&format=1#largeimage are of quality that is on par with ANY premium cable out there and they are less than $5 for 25ft. Sounds too good to be true, but I have never had a problem with them and have replaced monster cables with them and had NO degredation in SQ.

Really do your research and you will find that for the most part, short of having features you might want (jacketed speaker cables for instance) it is true that cable is cable is cable.

Nick
I would second monoprice for you RCA cables. They are great quality. I buy my HDMI and and other home theater cables from them. I pay around $5 for a 6' HDMI cable while the same quality cable at BestBuy is $40.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I use 2/0 welding cable for my power and 2ga for my ground. I used twisted RCAs for noise reduction and as far as what brands to you, if you dont see it in some of the mags that the pros and guys who compete use, then you dont use it either.

But what comes to mine is Sony, Pioneer, Fosgate, Kicker, Polk, Infinity, PPI, Orion

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use 2/0 welding cable for my power and 2ga for my ground. I used twisted RCAs for noise reduction and as far as what brands to you, if you dont see it in some of the mags that the pros and guys who compete use, then you dont use it either.

But what comes to mine is Sony, Pioneer, Fosgate, Kicker, Polk, Infinity, PPI, Orion
My only issue here is that the guys you see in car audio mags and the competitors all have sponsorships with whatever company will give them stuff that works either free or at a reduced price. That doesn't necessarily mean that the stuff is better. I would put $100 down in a blind test against the monoprice RCA cables at less than 5 bucks and a 25ft pair of Monster RCA's at probably $80 and I would garauntee you WILL NOT be able to tell a difference.

Nick

·
paul
951 Posts

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
My only issue here is that the guys you see in car audio mags and the competitors all have sponsorships with whatever company will give them stuff that works either free or at a reduced price. That doesn't necessarily mean that the stuff is better. I would put $100 down in a blind test against the monoprice RCA cables at less than 5 bucks and a 25ft pair of Monster RCA's at probably $80 and I would garauntee you WILL NOT be able to tell a difference.

Nick
While wouldnt exactly compare RCAs to amps and subs, I do understand what you are saying. I forget the brand of RCAs I am using but I do know they are copper shielded and twisted pair. They always say gold is the best conductor but if I am not mistaken it is nickel.

·
MOPAR OR NO CAR
674 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.