DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my truck back today after having 4.56's installed. Other than a smoother acceleration and better throttle response, i really dont notice much of a performance difference. i was expecting to be able to come off of the line much quicker, but this isnt the case. am i the only one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
They gave my 4.7 4X4 QC Dakota .5 in the 1/4

What do you have? A stock Hemi with that retarded drive by wire is probably killing your initial blast. Because mine sure jumps like a mother with the 4.56's

At higher speeds I'm not so sure of any improvements though. But I did mine more for towing than for performance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i have the 5.7. and i have some pretty heavy tires, so i was hoping that the performance i lost with my big tires, would be regained with the gears. the tires i have are 33's, so its the same stock height, just heavier and wider. but either way i am not too happy that i just dropped almost a grand on these things.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
cretamk said:
ya i have the 5.7. and i have some pretty heavy tires, so i was hoping that the performance i lost with my big tires, would be regained with the gears. the tires i have are 33's, so its the same stock height, just heavier and wider. but either way i am not too happy that i just dropped almost a grand on these things.
Iis it possible your expectations where set too high? Thats a problem with almost all mods... some people just expect more than they will actualy get. Apparantly they are not a steep as many people make them out to be.

And like mentioned above... your Fly by Wire throttle body could be to blame. You may want to take it in and have the dealership adjust the pinion factor. It didnt make a difference on my truck but it is critical information that your PCM needs to make WOT, TCM and shifting adjustments.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i probably did set my expectations too high. but that was just because it seemed as thought many other members felt this was the the best bang for the buck. and at this point, i dont feel it is worth half of the buck i paid.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
I went from a 3.55 to a 4.56 and the difference was amazing, definitely the best mod yet. If you went from a 3.92 to a 4.56 the difference wouldn't have been as much as mine, but it still should have been substantial. Skaarew went from a 3.92 to a 4.56 and I think he is pretty impressed with the difference.

·
Fast SHOW Truck
4,445 Posts
whats this wire thing on the throttle that ya are talking about

·
The Doc
302 Posts
DAYTONA81 said:
whats this wire thing on the throttle that ya are talking about
With the HEMI, your foot doesn't open and close the throttle. The Accelerator only acts as sort of a potentiometer and the computer interprets that info and send the corresponding signal to the throttle, thereby opening or closing it at a rate and volume as IT sees fit. This way the speed limiter can be done w/o causing a lean condition by shutting down the injectors. The computer just pulls out throttle.
The Doc..... :cool:

·
Relentless
1,859 Posts
Drive by wire :tdwn: Im used to having a TB....it sucks cause i cant rev up the engine from the out side.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
cretamk said:
ya i probably did set my expectations too high. but that was just because it seemed as thought many other members felt this was the the best bang for the buck. and at this point, i dont feel it is worth half of the buck i paid.
Dont get me wrong... I thought the gears where hands down the best single mod period.

Are you sure your gear guy installed 4.56's?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
HEMI way or no way
1,325 Posts
i love mine...really got my QC cab moving ....and moving up from 3.92 to 4.56 is not that extreme.....but now i can lay rubber down pretty good from a 20 mph roll....as i think sawcut and i figured out the other day ;) hands down this is the mod that i felt most, next in line SC/LTs

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I went from a 3:92 or 1, whatever to 4:56 and had to install traction bars due to wheel hop caused by the 4:56. It was a nice improvement for me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i bought the gears and he installed them. They are motive gears. The box said 4.56 when they came. I dont know what else it could be.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there anyway I could test if 4.56 gears are installed?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
cretamk said:
Well i bought the gears and he installed them. They are motive gears. The box said 4.56 when they came. I dont know what else it could be.
did he have any issues getting the pin installed. If they where 4.56's he would have had to either grind a tooth or the pin to get it past the ring gear. Just ask him if he ground a tooth or if he shaved the pin... if he says neither or the pin slid in without modification then they where not 4.56's! And in that case I would be a hair upset at the company who shipped you those gear or your gear guy for making the old switch-aruu. I doubt your gear guy would have dont that...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
cretamk said:
Is there anyway I could test if 4.56 gears are installed?
Jack the rear end up and put a chalk line on the driveshaft and a mark at BDC (Bottom Dead Center) on the tire.

Transmission in NUTRAL

1) Have a freind Hold one side from spining

2) Turn the other side ONE FULL revolution

3) At the same time count how many times your driveshaft turns per ONE full revolution of your tire.

-If it turns 4.5 times then its safe to assume you have 4.56's
-If it turns just over 4 times then I would guess 4.10's
- If it turns just under 4 times I would guess 3.92's
- If it turns 3.5 times then I would guess 3.55's

I hope this helps.

I would not be surprised if some jackass purchased the 4.56's and then intalled them in his truck... then took his stock gears and put them back into the box and returned them for a refund. It happens.

BUT if that did in fact happen and your gear guy did not catch it then I would question his experience.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
11 Posts
4.56 improvement

I think it is a more noticeable improvement for the guys with the 4.7's. We don't start with as much power so any improvement is quite noticeable. Especially if you had the 3.55 to begin with. I recently took the plunge (thanks Jason at Texas Drivetrain)from the 3.92's on my 03 -4.7 with stock 20's. It used to require the Superchips to turn the tires over from a dead stop and stepping on it. Not required anymore! :D Will spin respectably at command.
Now with a little rpm rev(brake torque method) prior to take off, I can lay a strip of rubber down withthe best of them (although not good for my expensive Michelins).
It's not a throw you in the back seat race car feel, but it sure makes driving the truck fun again! Heck, I was seriously thinking about trading her in, but now I am so happy I am looking at a stero upgrade and new leather seats. A lot cheaper than a new car payment!
Best Mod to date for the 4.7's. :rck:

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Realize that upgrading wheels, then installing gears, you just ended up back closer to the start. I went from 3.55 to 4.10 and there was a difference. I also did the TMR mod and later the SC3714 and I can chirp 2nd on drive pavement.

I'm hoping for a grand spent this was a 4x4, which is gonna be slower than a 2wd.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.