DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my temp gauge normally sits in the middle of the 130 and 210... which puts it around 170ish.

sometimes when its pretty cold out (for FL.. like in the 40s or 50s) it even runs slightly less than that maybe close to 160-165ish.

this seems a bit too cool for what im used to vehicles running.

im thinking of changing the thermostat soon.. maybe its stuck open.

my question is... would this affect performance at all?

my other gauge says my mpg average is 14.6 which seems to be about normal from what i read on this board, so it doesnt seem to be hurting it to much.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Do you know what your thermostat is rated for that you're currently running? When I ran my 180F stat in winter (-25F or lower), the engine temp struggled to warm up past the first little white line on the gauge. It took nearly an hour before you'd notice the cabin temp getting above freezing. My mileage stayed the same, even factoring in the extreme cold and lots of idling. In heavy city traffic with lots of idling, the temp would sit right in the middle and provide ample heat, however, once I got onto the highway, the engine temp would drop due to the low outside ambient temp being so low.

I tried the cardboard treatment, but found that it would get wet easily and freeze overnight! I ordered some grille guards to keep the wind out while I was on the highway, but they weren't very helpful and the temp barely rose. My 360 runs better in my minds eye with a 180F stat - especially in the summer.

Each year I spend $10 every six months and change out the t-stat, 195 for the winter and 180 in the summer. If the temp was slightly above 32F the truck did warm slow with the 180F stat, but it was fine as it wasn't terribly cold out and would warm the cabin within fifteen/twenty minutes. I don't believe your t-stat is stuck open, but for better piece of mind changing it out for $10 or so is good assurance.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would strictly trust the stock gauge as an exact reading. If indeed it was too cool, there is an engine code for excessive warm up time. If you are not getting that, you are fine. People who have tried 160 thermostats have gotten that code. 180 or higher, you are fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Engine wear goes up alot with cooler temps i think i read 160 is not good 180 should be the lowest . II am not sure where i read that but lots of wear at 160 deg.
I'll stand by what I said, you shouldn't have problems with wearing out your engine running at 160.

What reason(s) would you have to think that there is more wear at 160? The tolerances are not tight enough here... we're talking standard American iron. What's your (reputable) source of more wear at 160? I'm fine with all of us having an opinion, but to come on and contradict someone and give advise you should be able to back it up. I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, but there is a lot of bad advice on the boards... and wouldn't want people to follow something just because they or someone else thinks they may have ead it somewhere.

I don't know where the ecu is set to read a cold engine temp, but I assume that your safe at 160. If it did read cold you'll run a richer mixture and burn unnecessary gas (at least this is better than lean!)

Where you do get problems not running up to temp is from not being able to burn off water and such that accumulates in your oil... that's where I was originally coming from. Very common w/boats when feeding too much cool water through the block... sludge will ultimately result.

A lower t-stat is not the way to cool an overheating engine... it won't work. If your heating up with a higher t-stat you'll do the same with a lower. Check your fluids, bleed all the air out, could be pump going out, sticking t-stat, clogged/block rad, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
temps

This is not the article i was talking about but same,Ford did a test too. What info do you have to back up what you are saying.
http://www.carnut.com/ramblin/_cool3.html
http://www.carnut.com/ramblin/_cool3.html And tolerance are pretty tight on american engines
Its not 1970. Plenty of sources , i dont think there is one that says 160 deg. is good , some of your advice is good but you should be able to accept that you dont know everthing, reading is how most info is past on . Not everybody has the resouces to do a test like that, so we accept what others have figured out . Jerk , well maybe a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
it's not so much engine wear - rather not heating up the oil enough.
Okay re-read what I wrote and re-read what you posted...

OIL TEMPERATURE not water temp. You posted a link talking about oil temp being the killer -exactly what I said. :crazy:

The tolerances posted are less than 0.001", this is within clearance (rods, bearing, crank, etc.).

If the t-stat is reading (and opening) at 160 after it is pumped out of the block, I can guarantee it's >160 in the block!!! With oil typically being +30-40 (using your link) your boiling the water out. Ever turn your engine on after you shut it down after a run and noticed the temp being hotter than when you ran it -then it drops right back down once the water pump kicks in? That's the running temp of your engine (not water...) -very true for iron blocks.

Hopefully that better explains what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And tolerance are pretty tight on american engines
Its not 1970. Plenty of sources , . Jerk , well maybe a little.

I never said that I new everything :teacher:! Someone came on here and asked a question... I answered and with reasoning why I answered that way (b/c of oil), someone comes on and disagrees (which is a good thing to do), but when I asked you to explain why you disagree you point straight back to my answer (b/c of oil temp!)...

Just for the jerk comment:

The magnum 5.9L
maximum cam clearance is 0.001 to 0.003
cam endplay 0.002 to 0.010!
Rod clearance b/t 0.006 to 0.014
crank endplay of 0.002 to 0.007 (max of 0.10!)
bearing clearance 0.005 to 0.0022

The less than 0.001 puts just about everything here within standard clearance.

Come to think of it maybe I'll take the 160 t-stat out of my $10k 496 bbc. :thatfunny

·
Registered
20 Posts
like i said you were right on some and not so right on others. article does agree with you on oil and i dont disagree with you on that ,but the question was on thermostat temp
and 160 deg promotes wear and you said it didnt . Article says opposite to what you said about wear , though it is all related .You answered to my reply not the other way around.
And i dont know what the clearance specs are all about I was talking mainly about bearing clearances .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Part number or link to buy 180 degree thermostat

Anyone got a link or part number to buy the 180 degree thermostat. As I live in the desert, I think it would be a good idea. Winter are cool, but not too cold. Summer though, I see 115 degrees from time to time. Also, is my reasoning on this sound right? Please let me know, either way. Thanks

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
You will not find a 180 listed for the durango if you go to the parts store. Thermostats come in different diameters. You just need to find a 180 in the same diameter as stock. Putting in a 180 does not mean that you will run any cooler particularly in the heat. The thermostat just regulates the lower level. The ultimate temp you wind up at depends on how much heat you engine generates, the efficiency of your cooling system and the ambient conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.