Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
QBANJGOMEZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
I have a 1999 Ram 1500 w/ a 318 and 3.92 rear axle and 108k miles on it. I have been towing a miniexcavator that weights 7550 lbs and the trailer is rated at 2800 lbs. I have checked some numbers for towing and looks like I am towing 4400 lbs more than I am supposed to. I feel that it is a little slow to get going but I can go 55 to 60 mph w/o any problems it also brakes pretty good. is there anyone else towing anything this heavy w/ their 1500's

·
fuggin EH!!!
1,332 Posts
Just make sure you keep the OD off or you'll kill the tranny quickly. A tranny temp gauge is a great investment too. It's always good to know how warm the fluid is.

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
As long as you're under the GCWR (12500 with max trailer weight 8100? Correct me if I'm wrong!), use trailer brakes, and stay out of overdrive you're cherry! :cool:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
89smurf said:
As long as you're under the GCWR (12500 with max trailer weight 8100? Correct me if I'm wrong!), use trailer brakes, and stay out of overdrive you're cherry! :cool:
I think he is a little over that :D

I used to tow about 10K with my 01 Off Road but what helped it out was the 4:10 gears and the 360. 6500# trailer, 700#HD golf cart in the back of pickup, two HD's on the trailer at 700# each and a 1200# bike trailer

Attachments

·
QBANJGOMEZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My total trailer weight should be 10350 lbs. 7550 miniex and 2800 trailer. I will definetely consider the gears and the temp gauge, I also tow w/ OD off all the time. Thanks for the advise.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
QBANJGOMEZ said:
Hello Guys,
I have a 1999 Ram 1500 w/ a 318 and 3.92 rear axle and 108k miles on it. I have been towing a miniexcavator that weights 7550 lbs and the trailer is rated at 2800 lbs. I have checked some numbers for towing and looks like I am towing 4400 lbs more than I am supposed to. I feel that it is a little slow to get going but I can go 55 to 60 mph w/o any problems it also brakes pretty good. is there anyone else towing anything this heavy w/ their 1500's
When you say the trailer is rated at 2,800lbs do you mean that's how much it weighs or thats how much weight the trailer can haul? If that's how much the trailer can haul then you need to get a new trailer.
I've towed a 17,500lb generator with an 89 Dakota. Could only do 25mph max and couldn't stop. Trailer brakes probably would have helped. It's my works truck so who cares right? Except I get to fix them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tow my bobcat with my 1500,318,3:55 gears around town its like 5500-6000lbs on a 10500 trailer. My rearend sags about 2-3in overdrive helps,its slow off the start. The trailer brakes help alot,I have it turned up half way to the brakes on the truck.

·
QBANJGOMEZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when I say rated at 2800 lbs it is the weight of the trailer.I towed once w/o brake controller and it wouldn't brake, after I installed brake controller it brakes pretty.Let's see how long the tranny can take it

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've towed my brother's 7k skidloader on a 3k trailer with my '00 1500, 5.9L, 4:10 gears. As long as it was balanced right, I could easily cruise 70. It's not something I would want to tow every day, but it handled it ok.

Figure this one out. I was running premium fuel, and set my Superchips to towing performance mode. I had no power, and couldn't hit 60mph on a flat interstate. I pulled over, changed the setting to 89 ocatane performance, and was back up to 70 in no time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.