DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay finally get some mods for the 07PW - nothing spectacular yet, but it's a start. I got a full Purple cranium rear cover, and 1/2 for the front. Pulled the rear stock cover, drained fluid and put back together with new guard. Added fluid, but after 3 qts it still isn't coming out eh hole, and no its not leaking out anywhere ??? Last I searched said 2.6qts to fill rear diff? Just curious on this.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
it doesn't come out the hole, I think it's supposed to be 1/2" under.

Whatever 2.6qrts comes out to :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm - lovely. So with what I did is that going to screw something up - meaning should I be taking some out then?

·
Registered
110 Posts
hmm - lovely. So with what I did is that going to screw something up - meaning should I be taking some out then?
I would. When filling it, add little by little. Stick your finger in there and when you first get fluid on your finger then you can judge what is 1/4"-1/2" below the line.

When the fluid temperature changes, the volume of fluid will change. This will create pressure indifferences withing the differential housing. While its still a long shot, I have heard of this causing blown seals. Simple enough to fix in order to avoid something like that.

There is one exception. I am not familiar with the diff cover you bought but I would just make sure that it was not designed to hold more fluid than the standard diff cover. Should still be okay if you keep it in the 1/4" to 1/2" range.

Have fun

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
yup. He's reusing the OEM cover though, right? If you have been driving it around the cover might be hot so be careful but if it's over filled you may see the oil get foamy. Like he said stick your finger in and see where it's at if there is way to much then just drain a little out.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...g-series-heavy-duty-16-oz-suction-gun-3951218

If you overfilled it, use one of those to get the fluid out. Personally, I fill till it comes out the hole. Always have, always will, on all my vehicles. Never a problem.

I did what manufacturer said once & filled to 3/4" under hole. Then, the bearing went out by driveshaft, inside diff housing. When I had it repaired, mechanic showed me that it welded itself from lack of lubrication. That was back in 88. Ever since, I fill till it comes out the hole.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you filled it until it ran out the fill hole you still have lots of room for expansion. I've been wrong before however.;)

·
Don't Follow Me....
1,646 Posts
Okay finally get some mods for the 07PW - nothing spectacular yet, but it's a start. I got a full Purple cranium rear cover, and 1/2 for the front. Pulled the rear stock cover, drained fluid and put back together with new guard. Added fluid, but after 3 qts it still isn't coming out eh hole, and no its not leaking out anywhere ??? Last I searched said 2.6qts to fill rear diff? Just curious on this.
:postpics: :YO:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just fill it until it is at the threads and no problems will befall you. Better at that level than low since you will weld the pinion bearings if fluids are low.

KP

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry not finished installing yet - just the rear and no pics. here they are when the big brown truck dropped em off.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Here is what they look like after they are on. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't honestly think it'll screw anything up - since probably half the trucks out there just have the rear axle filled up to the hole. I did take some out of my truck, because I was smelling gear lube after off-roading - which seems to have stopped now that I've filled it to the recommended level. However, if you don't have that issue I wouldn't bother messing with it - since trying to suction out the extra is a pain. There's actually a line on the diff cover showing the proper fluid level, but if your truck is like mine it'll be rusted over and hard to see.

In my opinion, if Dodge didn't want folks over-filling the rear axles on these trucks, they should have lowered the freakin' fill hole. I suppose I should just be happy with an actual threaded plug, instead of a push-in rubber plug like some of the Jeeps have.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
My Dakota had the rubber plug. I changed diff fluid 3x in that truck. No leaks at all. But I do feel better knowing this on has threads & will stay put & not dry rot & fall off/in.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah, I suppose the rubber plugs aren't all that bad...it's just the principle of the thing, that they're using a rubber plug to save a couple of pennies. I've had a few rear axles fail, and considering how expensive they are to fix - and how much of a pain it is to set up the gears properly - it seems like a simple little threaded plug with a magnet isn't too much to ask for. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
wouldn't the rubber cap allow for expansion? good
couldn't the rubber plug allow water to be sucked in during deep water crossings when the diff cools itself very rapidly and cause a bit of vacuum? bad...bad... yeah probably bad...

I filled my diffs to the hole and have no issues, five years and counting. about 65K miles.

Thanks
Ocean

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I don't think so. The rubber cap fit VERY tight on my Dakota. IMO, it would blow the axle seals well before. Plus it had a vent tube as well. I had to replace the rubber cap after the second fluid change as, it started to rip from prying it out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah I know crooked exhaust, I can't stand it. The little oil stain is from not putting my catch basin under the diff cover sooner :D

Attachments

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Looks good !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts