Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: Hey all.

I'm curious about something, and I know one of you can help me out!

I just bought a '99 ram 2500 5.9L V8 Laramie SLT. I absolutely love it and I can't stop driving it (although my gas card says I should stop joyriding ;) ).

I'm baffled though.... I get really annoyed going to the truck at night and fiddling with my keys to get it in the keyhole to unlock it. Then I thought to myself... maybe I was supposed to get a remote for this beast??

So thats the question- Did my truck come with a remote lock/unlock originally? I'm assuming it should have seeing as it has power locks/windows, right? The guy I bought it from just gave me 2 normal keys. If it is supposed to have one and I can't get it from the guy... how much would I pay to get a new one?

Thanks sooo much in advance for anyone that can help my helpless arse. If I'm missing it I gotta find out soon so I can track the previous owner down! :D :rck:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not sure about 99's but I know that it is possible to have Power windows and locks without keyless entry. You can purchase an aftermarket keyless entry system for your truck (and it will be affordable as you have Power locks already.) I think factory Keyless entry was an option until it became standard on 3rd Generation trucks in 2002.

Jon

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
My 98 has power door locks and windows without keyless entry... Factory keyless entry anyways.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 01' has power locks, but no keyless entry. You need the module and remote. I added an alarm system that has a keyless entry feature. Killed 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies!

so i guess i'll go from here...:

Can anyone point me in the direction of an affordable keyless entry system, and possibly a DIY on how to do it? I just want to see my options and what you all have and how happy you are with it. Also, since I would be installing the keyless entry, would it be more worth it to also get an alarm system with it, or maybe a remote starter? I pretty much just want to hear all of your experiences.

Thanks again for the help guys :cool:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The first truck I had with the remotes was 2003. I had power windows and door locks on all the other ones but never remote locks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wouldnt describe installing an alarm as a DIY item. My '98 required relays in addition to the alarm to get the door locks to even work. The wiring diagram we had was also misleading which was little help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my next step is going to be to go to different places and get quotes on the keyless installation, maybe an alarm. It seems like the keyless remote kits are relatively cheap ($40-$60). Hopefully it's not that much of a PITA and they don't screw me on installation fees. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Killer Tofu said:
I think my next step is going to be to go to different places and get quotes on the keyless installation, maybe an alarm. It seems like the keyless remote kits are relatively cheap ($40-$60). Hopefully it's not that much of a PITA and they don't screw me on installation fees. We'll see I guess.
From my experience with past vehicles, don't go cheap on keyless systems. I had ebay cheapos in the past that killed fuses left and right and drained batteries. When I bought my current truck, there was a cheapo one in there that was all messed up. It kep making this obnoxious clicking noise and it eventually fried itself and killed my battery :VHOT:

Aside from that, you can have a dealership run your VIN# to see if your truck came with a factory system.

And yes, having a reputable shop do your install is the best way to go, as they know what they're doing!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grantman31 said:
From my experience with past vehicles, don't go cheap on keyless systems. I had ebay cheapos in the past that killed fuses left and right and drained batteries. When I bought my current truck, there was a cheapo one in there that was all messed up. It kep making this obnoxious clicking noise and it eventually fried itself and killed my battery :VHOT:

Aside from that, you can have a dealership run your VIN# to see if your truck came with a factory system.

And yes, having a reputable shop do your install is the best way to go, as they know what they're doing!!!
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to go get a quote from a reputable place near me. I've dealt with cheap parts on previous cars, and with this one I want to try and stay as close to OEM quality as possible. We'll see what happens. :rck:

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I would talk to a Dodge dealer and see if yours had the remote feature from day one, Then you can get the key FOB and have the dealer set it up cheaper than what the Aftermarkets could be. This would only be if your truck came with The setup. You can find Fob's for cheap on-line. Get 2.
I also seem to remember that you can program FOB's yourselves, The factory owners manual had instructions.

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
I have this in my truck. Did a little homework on another forum before I made the purchase. Been fine so far! :can_pat:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
89smurf said:
I have this in my truck. Did a little homework on another forum before I made the purchase. Been fine so far! :can_pat:
Sweet! How long have you had it, and did you install it yourself? If you did not.. how much did it cost to get installed? If it really does work good with no flaws, that is a great price. :tup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.