DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A unique situation occured this week (it was a wet slushy week)

While driving my 2008 Ram 4x 4 home at 50- 60 mph after a busy day with it, moving daughters furniture , the dashboard lit up with every warning light, and speedo went dead, and then a few seconds later it would all come back on , engine did not die,truck kept running, it continued to do this randomly about 12 times over the course of the hour drive home. I brought it to dealer next morning, it only did it once while the service tech was writing the milieage down to bring it inot shop, but did not do it for the actual mechanic . The mechanic put on computer readout tool and yes it did show that truck "lost communication" a dozen times that day and the one more time that day. But they were unable to pinpoint the problem. No fault codes other than "lost communication".
They gave it back to me and suggested we see if it clears it self up or wait till it does it again (and do what ?) they only charged me 65 bucks because they felt bad could not find.
Anyway, this truck has 80,000 km (so 50,000 miles) I have made no electrical changes to it, no other problems. It is a cold and wet environment up here so maybe a bad connector that has dried it self out since then . It has not done the warning lights again today when I drove it. Any ideas or similar problem that you got fixed ????

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Just a haunch but check the ground wire from the battery to the chassis. Make sure all the wires are tight to the terminal and that the terminals are clean.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Fred had that problem it would come and go intermittenly. Turned out to be the fuse box. He repalaced it. You can check the connector's under it to make sure there clean and tight. Maybe try grabbing the wire connector underneath and wiggling it to see if the problem show's up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lost communication with what module? The code always tells you what module it lost communication with. If all the lost communication codes say cluster then you probably have a cluster going out on you. Tell the dealer to run a Loss of Comm. test through wiTech. If they don't know what you are talking about then go to another dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I would assume dealer mechanic would of checked ground from battery, but I will double check and alos wiggle the fuse box to see if I can make it happe. I had the trucl oilsprayed in November 2012 , maybe it got into somewhere it shouldn't of. Also will suggest to dealer to do the witech thing if it does it again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well update it has only got worse but more random. I took apart all the battery connections and cleaned and the ground to the body fender and large connection on outside of fuse box. reset computer , tested gauges using that method of holding odometer reset while turning key to on, and all supposedly okay. But still randomly while driving all warning light and chimes come on and guages die and then a few seconds later back to normal and does this a dozen times while driving in to work. then next day will not do it at all , same road same bumps , same temp. Dealer only sees advantage to see it if it is doing it while they are looking at it. Of course it is never doing it when I drive by the dealer !!! I checked all the plugs under the seats too. I am ready to trade this in and look at buying a pre 1980 vehicle without all these computer aspects to go wrong !!

·
Registered
159 Posts
TIPM!! had the sam situation, all warning lights on and off.....turned out I needed to have the TIPM replaced....only cost about $700 CDN

Oh and I have a 2008 5.7 1500 4x4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I knw this is off topic but i have been looking at other posts about the foglight bypass for being able to keep you foglights on while you are running with your highbeams. But does anybody know how to do this on a 2006 ram 4.7 Can anybody help me with this???
\

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
TIPM!! had the sam situation, all warning lights on and off.....turned out I needed to have the TIPM replaced....only cost about $700 CDN

Oh and I have a 2008 5.7 1500 4x4.
That could very well be the problem but I'd check one more thing. A few members have had water and trash get in the main wiring harness plug that runs from the fuse box and though the firewall into the cabin. I believe I would check and make sure it's making a good clean connection and its tight. Disconnect the battery first of course.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hosey........maybe dumb question but what does TIPM stand for and tell me more about how your dealer figured out it was that ?

please and thanks

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Hosey........maybe dumb question but what does TIPM stand for and tell me more about how your dealer figured out it was that ?

please and thanks
TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module)

:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yup, Total Integrated Power Module. I never heard of such a thing till about 2 months ago. I was driving down the road (it was the first snowfall of the season). I went 5 mins down the road and got to the hardware store and parked. Then bam....all lights on the dash, warning bells.....I sat for a minute and did the whole WTF. turned the truck off and then back on and nothing....as if nothing happened. The roads were wet and sloppy snow slush crap.

A few days later was in the truck, flipped it into 4x4 and then BAM....lights, warnings, and then the truck died! nothing.....it would even turn over....I finally got it to turn over, and dropped it off at the dealership (it was the nearest shop, only reason). They plug it in and tell me the TIPM died. Im not a mechanic but the issues that i was having woth the truck were all electrical and speratic....

This might not be your issue with your truck but the thread title "warning lights" caught my eye.

good luck bro.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
The TIPM's replaced most of the fusebox. Personally, I don't like it. On paper it's cheaper for manufacturing, simpler to check and replace, cleaner under the hood, and when it fails, it gives Dodge and the dealership a much bigger payday under your hood.

:imo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.