DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and need some help.

I have to remove the cylinder head on my 96 3.0 grand caravan. However, I am having some trouble. I am trying to turn the engine to get the timing marks aligned but the engine stops turning when the cam sprockets are half a tooth shy of TDC. I have the sparkplugs removed, plus everything from the valve covers and up. I'm only using a wrench to turn the engine. Maybe I need to use something bigger?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just did a head job on my 97 3.0. I used a 1/2" torque wrench on the main crank turning clockwise only! You should not turn the engine by the head cam. Also do not losen the timing belt until you get the marks lined up. If you try to turn the crank without the tensioner pully bolt tight, the belt will jump teeth on the cam or both cams. If you are close to the timing mark thats ok, it really doesn't matter if you are removing the heads. After I removed the heads I turned the engine crank several times, to checking rings, and had no problem aligning everything during assembly. I checked the rings by putting light weight oil in the cylinders that were all the way down and leaving overnight to see if the oil leaked out. Then the next day turning the crank and checking the rest. I also made a level mark with a MAGIC marker. During assyembly you will need to turn the cam on the rear head to line up the mark. It will stay at the mark witout moving but if you go a 1/4 turn past the mark in either direction the springs will spin the cam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mispoke about what i've removed so far. I am only removing the rear (left) cylinder head. The front (right) valve cover is still in place along with the distributor. I have not done anything with the timing belt, tensioner pulley, and won't until I get the timing marks lined up. Turning the engine at the crankshaft.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Whay are you removing the head?

Using a long bar turn the crank clockwise. You will feel resistance as you are compressing the springs in the SOHC. If the engine was running before there should be no problem. Why are you removing the head?

Anthony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ruined spark plug hole on the head. There is no room to work inside the engine compartment to repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So the engine won't turn to TDC or BDC. This is a non-interference engine so the #1 piston shouldn't be hitting a valve right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine is back together. Never found out what was keeping the engine from rotating. I did have to take both heads off to see what the problem was but could not duplicate the problem once I had the heads back on.

Now if I could just figure out where this bolt goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.