DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been reading a bit about the guys running Powerwires and seeing the threads about adding resistors in-line to the AIT to get lower temps and then hopeful better MPGs.

So I went to RS last week and bought a pack of 2.2k, 3.3k and 4.7k resistors. I took one out of each pack and made it into a PNP harness of sorts and took some readings and here is what I got. All readings were taken from my SC3815 with the truck at normal op temps at idle and in park with the hood fully up.

Without any resistor I was reading 89 degrees on the AIT.

With a resistor of 2.2k I read 78 degrees (a difference of 11 degrees)

With a resistor of 3.3k I read 73 degrees (a difference of 16 degrees)

With a resistor of 4.7k I read 67 degrees (a difference of 22 degrees)

So with those numbers it might be assumed that since 2.2k gives a difference of 11 degrees and 4.7k is 2x the amount of resistance of 2.2k and gives 2x the amount of temp difference (22 degrees) then a resistor double that of 4.7k might again give double the difference of temp readings of approx 44+/- degrees.

There are many threads over the lowers MPGs from a 90/10 Ethanol blend and I myself have been a long victem. In my 04 5.7 with the mods in my sig I got around 12mpg with a 90/10 blend. However, when I paid a very few cents more for a no-blend (100% gas) I instantly noticed I was averaging 14mpg. Keep in mind I have loud exhaust and I love to hear it which means I love to drive hard and fast.

But with all this being said and done, I filled up earlier today with 100% fuel (89 octane), put the 4.7k on the AIT and reset the PCM. I will let you guys know what MPG I end up with.

·
Lovin My Ram
525 Posts
interested in what happens for sure!

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
interesting

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Very interesting to say the least. I'll subscribe to this one.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did those readings yesterday and the outside temp was about 82*. The AIT was reading 89* and with a 4.7k I was reading 67*. Like I said before that was a difference of 22*. But this morning on my way to work it was 44* outside and with the 4.7k still on the AIT, the SC3815 was only reading 40* at idle and running running down the interstate at 60-70mph I was still only reading 40* on the SC3815. So it seems the lowest it would go was that 40 even IF the resistor physically makes it seem less. Another guy on another forum mention this is as low as it will go while another member said the computer will compensate and override the AIT if it was too low so this does make sense. But even at 40* (virtually), wouldnt that still be a much better number that 70-80+?

Anyway, when I run this tank out I will give some MPG numbers.

·
HOTROD
590 Posts
I did those readings yesterday and the outside temp was about 82*. The AIT was reading 89* and with a 4.7k I was reading 67*. Like I said before that was a difference of 22*. But this morning on my way to work it was 44* outside and with the 4.7k still on the AIT, the SC3815 was only reading 40* at idle and running running down the interstate at 60-70mph I was still only reading 40* on the SC3815. So it seems the lowest it would go was that 40 even IF the resistor physically makes it seem less. Another guy on another forum mention this is as low as it will go while another member said the computer will compensate and override the AIT if it was too low so this does make sense. But even at 40* (virtually), wouldnt that still be a much better number that 70-80+?

Anyway, when I run this tank out I will give some MPG numbers.

hurry up and start driving:thatfunny:thatfunny

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Wouldn't the truck thinking the intake temp was that low just richen it up a lot? I don't see how that is going to help mpgs...not calling you a liar by any means, really just thinking out loud and bouncing ideas around.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
In Oklahoma the pump has to be labeled if the gasoline is a blend of any kind. We just find ones that pump 100% and continue to go back.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't the truck thinking the intake temp was that low just richen it up a lot? I don't see how that is going to help mpgs...not calling you a liar by any means, really just thinking out loud and bouncing ideas around.
No offense taken. I personally do not know. I am in the learning curse as well as everyone else. I am doing this simply because Ive read so many threads about the powerwire and others saying "homemade powerwires" worked. So here is my test. The only difference is I have a SC3815 and can check the AIT temps and differences and document everything. But hey, its either going to go up or do down. The website to Powerwire says "Reports of .5 to 1 MPG have been reported under easy driving conditions" but as I said to another guy on the other forum, I can get that by just driving soft and slow. Thats doesnt mean the Powerwire gave me that.

So the overall Q is, is the Powerwire really worth $50+ or is a simply 5 pack of 4.7k resistors from RS for $1 going to do the same?

I was unaware of the differences in gas. Where or how do you buy 100% gas?
Alot of your cheaper stations sell a 90/10% (gas/ethanol) blend and its usually a few cents less. Around here BP sells a non-blended gas. I think Shell and Exxon do also but have not looked. If a station sells blend they are supposed to have a sticker on the pump saying so.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
So the overall Q is, is the Powerwire really worth $50+ or is a simply 5 pack of 4.7k resistors from RS for $1 going to do the same?
Personally, I don't think so. I had a resistor in line on mine (before I got the DSP and took it off, I haven't replaced it since getting rid of the DSP) and didn't see any difference. I think the cost of the Powerwire is just the convenience of being a plug and play type device.

If a station sells blend they are supposed to have a sticker on the pump saying so.
That varies by state. Oklahoma didn't pass the law requiring that until last year.

·
'08LaRam
680 Posts
Personally, I don't think so. I had a resistor in line on mine (before I got the DSP and took it off, I haven't replaced it since getting rid of the DSP) and didn't see any difference. I think the cost of the Powerwire is just the convenience of being a plug and play type device.

Essentially this is correct. There are, however, some differences in resistors that can be used: wattage, tolerance (+/- 1 to 20% of the value), type(ceramic, carbon, etc.) and the actual quality control of the manufactered product. The convenience of the plug and play and the assumed quality of the product since I have never heard anyone with any complaints definetely gives the Power Wire a value greater than a simple resistor placed in line with the Air Temp Sensor. Now whether or not that value is equal to the price of the product is something a person would have to decide for themselves. By far the majority of people are not technically inclined so they must pay someone that is so inclined to do a job for them which is backed by a guarantee, another plus for the Power Wire, not to mention a certain amount of assumed liability when selling a product for profit. I believe the Power Wire to be a good product, doing the job it is advertised to do.
I would also like to thank weedahoe for his efforts and providing us with this information that can certainly be of help to any one of us that wishes to use it. He actually took the time to run these tests AND shared the results. GOOD ON YOU weedahoe.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
^^^Well said.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THX guys. It will be a few days until I have any more numbers simply because I dont live far from work and drive that much that often.

·
Perfection is tolerated.
1,146 Posts
I was unaware of the differences in gas. Where or how do you buy 100% gas?
I usually get my 100% gas at Taco Bell. A couple cheesy bean and rice burritos usually do the trick for me.

If they sold Power Wire for power window actuators to speed them up, my wife would surely invest to get the windows down faster.

Then, of course, it doesn't really matter since I always hit window lock first!:rck:

Really nice thread!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.