DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy air bag helpers for the rear of my 3/4 ton. I do use the truck to haul heavy loads here and there, but the main reason I want it is for ride improvement. Heres my plan, let me know what you think.

Right now, the ride is really rough. I want to remove several lower leafs and use the AirLift bags as the main support. Will this work? I don't see why not. I was thinking of just swapping a 4 link rear with nothin but bags, but I really like the idea of having leaf and bags, incase you loose air or something.

BTW, I have stock packs with a 4" block underneath. The lift kit should affect this install at all.

Thanks for any input. :)

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
This was posted some time ago:

Write-up from DT Member: thacru78

Get you 2 of these. You will use one to put air inside the bags and one to dump the bags. Ground them to the chassis and then rum a power wire through a switch in the cab. The switch will allow you to open the valve and let in air of open the valve to let out.

Good Valves to use = http://www.fmkustoms.com/product_in...products_id=571

Get you a 3 or 5 gallon tank and connect your compressor to it. Make sure there's a drain plug on the tank to drain out moisture the compressor creates. Or you can buy a water trap from lowest and put it between the compressor and the tank. Make sure you have the compressor on a pressure switch. The pressure switch will turn the compressor on at a certain PSI and turn the compressor off at a certain PSI. 110 on and 145 off would be just fine for you. You can mount the tank on the side of the frame behind the rear wheel of in the bed. Make sure you put the dump valve after the fill valve on the line going to the bags. Then you can put as many air chucks on your tank as you want. Get you a coil air hose and keep it in your truck. Air on demand always. Here's a little diagram I drew up for you. Hope it helps. Here's is also some more links to help with wiring the compressor and the valves. The valve diagrams are for more valves and bags but it's the same concept.

Compressor = http://www.suicidedoors.com/how_to/.../compressor.gif

Valve = http://www.suicidedoors.com/how_to/...rams/8valve.gif

(Attached Image)

I wouldn't suggest just hooking the compressor strait up to the airbags. For one, you won't be able to fine tune the air. Second, what happens if you forget the compressors on? Then bomb goes your bags and your compressors probably fried.

Attachments

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, great info thanks.

I'm not looking to dump the bags or anything with high flow valves, but I get the idea.

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
I'm glad the information helped.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into it some more, I guess the Airlift bags connect to the axle rather then to the top of the spring pack. Its not going to work with my lift setup.

Now I'm doubting the hole setup. I think I'm either going to get some Kore lift packs or a 4" link bag setup. I really don't fell like fabing anything up though.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.