DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on two different forums that the Rams and Jeeps are having problems with the air system if the temperature get below zero or something like that. They start suck in air, the air has moisture in it, and then it's all down hill from there. Has anyone on here had problems or has there been a fix for this one?

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
I've never had an issue with the air suspension on the Jeep, but we don't get below 0 here. I thought it was a closed system?

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I've never had an issue with the air suspension on the Jeep, but we don't get below 0 here. I thought it was a closed system?

It is a closed system. It uses a compressed nitrogen storage tank to move gasses back and forth, depending on system/user demands.

I'd like to know where they would suck air in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No problem when I was North. It only got -18 for a day or two.... It is an enclosed sealed system. If its sucking air, there is much bigger issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Exactly what they have said, and take a LOT of what's posted on a certain diesel 1500 forum with a LARGE grain of salt. A lot of mistruths and incorrect information spread there.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not trusting one site. Like I said, I'm reading the same thing on different sites and two of them are very trust worthy sites for info. From what I'm reading, the temp drops and seals cannot handle the extreme cold. The seals get hard in the cold and start to lose the gas and suck air into the system. The moisture in the air start to freeze in the air lines and compressor tank, the air suspension dash error light goes off, and then it all down hill from there. I thought I would ask in here because our DT friends from the Great White North Country were the first ones receiving the half-ton diesel on the site. If it's a known problem, I was wondering if Ram has a fix for it or is it just too new of a vehicle?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
DMC,

If I understand the system correctly, it would not simply suck up air since the system is under pressure all the time. It has two tanks that it shifts air to and from and out to the corners. It is a very quiet system and you rarely hear anything (including the pump). I wish I knew a bit more about it bu my truck came from the north and we spent a week up in Wisconsin when we had multiple days at and below -18 and the truck worked flawlessly (made some weird sounds in the morning but wouldn't you at -18?) Suspension never skipped a beat. If I were to hear a hissing sound I would know something is broken or leaking before it would deplete the pressure and start pulling normal air in. I read somewhere a while back the system is pre-filled from the factory with almost pure nitrogen so it inherently does not sweat or produce moisture from temperature changes.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I'm not trusting one site. Like I said, I'm reading the same thing on different sites and two of them are very trust worthy sites for info. From what I'm reading, the temp drops and seals cannot handle the extreme cold. The seals get hard in the cold and start to lose the gas and suck air into the system. The moisture in the air start to freeze in the air lines and compressor tank, the air suspension dash error light goes off, and then it all down hill from there. I thought I would ask in here because our DT friends from the Great White North Country were the first ones receiving the half-ton diesel on the site. If it's a known problem, I was wondering if Ram has a fix for it or is it just too new of a vehicle?

Sounds like bs. Like ramming said the system is under pressure, how is it going to suck air?

From what I have read, the only way gasses can enter the system is through the port on the nitrogen tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that's why I'm asking if it has happen to anyone else on here.

:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the air suspension, this winter when ever it got somewhat cold (-10 ish) I got the EVIC telling me air suspension immediate service required message. I normally keep the height at off road level 1 & rarely change when driving in town. I monitored the truck for a while and there never seemed to be an actual problem. So I ignored the messages and so far no issues. When it warmed up the error messages went away. Now unless I have completely missed something that I might find out when I take it in for servicing next, the air suspension works fine & the message was due to the cold.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I can tell you that the aero mode seemed to have helped this weekend. Cruise set at 76 for 300+ miles, averaged 20.6 MPG with a headwind (round trip over two days).... I was very impressed with the truck on this trip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We had a few air suspension equipped 1500's this winter that had issues, all of them had moisture buildup in one or more of the shocks. Replacing the compressor and shocks fixed the issue and has been fine since.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one person posted that the air didn't get into the system until most of the nitrogen had leaked past the seals because of the extreme cold. They believe the seals were frozen and the moisture that got into the system came from the air that sucked in or ice that was on the shaft. I'm having a hard time believing it because it's not the first system to be designed and taken into those type of condition. Heck, a jet airliner sees -40 to -60 degrees every time it travels over 30K in altitude. But that doesn't mean that some bean counter could not have slipped in something cheaper and that's why a few folks are having problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air suspension on Jeep freezes below 20 degress.

Every time the temp gets below 17 degrees my air suspension will not work on start up and I receive an error message. It has been happening since I bought the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I brought it in to be serviced before 36,000 miles and they would not replace the pump since Chrysler didn't want to pony up the 900 bucks without concrete proof it was the pump. All they did was blow out the system. You see when the car is in the shop it is warm and the suspension works. Unfortunately it got warm after that and spring summer ensued. It is now happening again this winter. I brought it back in for service and they still tell me they don't know why it is happening. They can run but they can't hide. When it happens again I will bring it again and again and again until they fix it right.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IDK... maybe I'll lease the ecoD for 12 to 18-months and then if the truck doesn't show any signs of problems, I'll buy it.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee with about 40,000 miles. I have received the "have air suspension serviced immediately" warning at least 3 separate times when vehicle sat in -18 C degrees overnight. When the vehicle and outside temps warmed up the suspension returned to normal. Not sure what is causing this. My dealer advised not to touch the system.

·
Black Gold
1 Posts
Ram Air Suspension

I've read on two different forums that the Rams and Jeeps are having problems with the air system if the temperature get below zero or something like that. They start suck in air, the air has moisture in it, and then it's all down hill from there. Has anyone on here had problems or has there been a fix for this one?
I have a 2014 Laramie Long Horn, it is in the shop for air suspension repair. Per the dealer operation in extreme cold climates require antifreeze in the system. Mine did not have any and the repair bill is pushing $2,000; compressor assembly $1550, initial diagnosis $380, and additional upstream manifold $169. I should have remained in NC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts