DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've starting hearing what sound like an air popping sound all of a sudden. After truck is at running temp, I hear this what sound like air popping sound. It doesn't stutter or shut off no performance change. Only while driving it seems to happen randomly. I cant pin point it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Make sure there are no leaks around the ceramic headers. Torque them again to be sure. If they were tight then...

I am guessing it was after the ceramic headers were added. Sometimes headers can increase airflow but decrease turbulence. This reduction of turbulence results in more flow and reduced backpressure, which allows more unburnt mixture to enter the exhaust plumbing and ignite, (esp on closed throttle when vaccuum pressure in the intake is effectively halted) resulting in that popping noise you hear.

I was told once that carbs have to be matched to the cam shaft you have and headers have to be matched to the exhaust system you have. If you have a big dual exhaust that already lowers back pressure and then add headers that reduce back pressure there might be problems. I have read thousands of threads and many people say mild backfiring won't hurt the engine. I don't really know if that is the case.

Sometimes people add big carbs to an engine that has a low end cam for quick starts and the fuel dump make the engine bog down and not have a fast starts. More fuel for highway flyers and less fuel for red light to red light.

You added a ceramic headers and even if just a regular exhaust you might need an exhaust that can increase back pressure a bit.

MAYBE!!!! Because I am in no way an expert. In fact I am potential misinformation waiting to happen. LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. I've had the ceramic headers and the cold air intake for just over a year and never had any issues. This topping sound started literally 4 days ago. At the moment I'm taking the part the intake looking over my hoses and connections to make sure everything is sealed up. Just had to tune up to replace all 16 spark plugs and Boots etc. That didn't resolve it. Even the mechanic at the shop was confused on what it might be, the vehicle inspection came up good.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've starting hearing what sound like an air popping sound all of a sudden. After truck is at running temp, I hear this what sound like air popping sound. It doesn't stutter or shut off no performance change. Only while driving it seems to happen randomly. I cant pin point it. Any ideas?
Hi Orod,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. We understand you are reaching out to fellow forum members, however if you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here; we kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Orod,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. We understand you are reaching out to fellow forum members, however if you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here; we kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rob, I am currently troubleshooting. I've changed out MAP sensor, IAT sensor, changed fuel stations and completed fuel system cleaning. Trying to find the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts