DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 4.7 Durango and i want to do an air intake on it. I have been reading the posts but cant find my answer. What is the difference between a cold air intake, ram air intake, short ram intake and v2 intake? They all look and seem to be near the same thing but there are big differences in price. Any info will help. ...Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
Cold Air Intake is an intake that takes in Cold Air, either by the use of a Heat Shield, or using a tube to move the intake outside the Engine bay, thus taking in Cold air.

Ram Air Intake is an intake that has air "rammed" into the filter usually by the use of a hood scoop.

A Short Ram Intake, also called a Warm Air Intake is similar to a Cold Air Intake except the Filter is in the engine bay and there is no heat shield so the Intake is bringing in warm air from the engine bay.

V2 is a version of AEM's Cold Air Intake used on cars only, or at least that's the only V2 I know of, maybe someone else knows more about that and can help you out there.

Hope that helps a little itsy bit

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Do not know about short ram or V2.

True cold air is what you have right now with your stock system. Air intake ported from the ambient air outside of the engine compartment. Cold air acronym is relative. If the ambient outside air is 95, not cold; but cooler than the engine compartment air. That is what is important. Normally, relative cooler air provides a bit better performance due to denser fuel/air charge.

A fancy mod cold air does the same thing your stock intake does, but with a less restrictive filter. The less restrictive filter promotes better air flow. Also, most have a relatively smooth unobstructive flow path, as compared to the convoluted stock system. Supposedly that also aids air flow characteristic.

Stock Durango ambient cold air is ported from an internal wheel well fender port behind the left hand headlight. Most mod cold airs use the stock location or another fender port behind the ECM - on the left about in the middle.

Whereas...
True ram air is cold air (relative) that is ported directly from the vehicle airstream. Vehicle movement induces additional positive pressure in the air intake port and thus at the throttle body; producing additional fuel/air charge. Essentially more air can be pushed - 'rammed' - into the engine. The faster the vehicle travels, the greater the ram effect. Typically ram air is configured as hood scoops.
There are some non-hood cold air systems that port to the grill front directly in the air stream; so those can be considered ram too. Not as fancy as an expensive ram air hood, but essentially the same thing.

Take note that many (most) marketed 'cold air intakes' are either not cold at all or quasi-cold. Intakes that are positioned smack in the engine compartment should be called 'hot air'! How the hell can they be called cold air?
Intakes that are positioned near an ambient air souce but not totally sealed from the hot engine compartment (like stock) are likewise compromised, IMO. Again, not true cold air... why I say quasi-cold.

And they are all stupidly overpriced. Go figure how does a hot air intake comprised of a $10 filter element and a piece of pcv pipe retail for $200!?

Best bang for the buck is to simply get a drop in high flow performance stock replacement filter, like from K&N. Not fancy, but then how often do you drive around with your hood open to impress your friends with your fancy overpriced intake? You can save your bucks to apply to something on the exterior that can be seen, or something that significantly enhances performance; like a throttle body maybe.

Just my POV / YMMV

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Saint - Ahh... Just saw your post. So short ram is my infamous hot air. Ok. Like I say though, never see any marketed as short ram.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys you answered all my questions.
Also Created a new one! I can drop in a high flow filter and get the same results as a "cold air" set up? The wife ok'd the intake and exhuast for Fathers day. Trying to find out whats best before she changes her mind.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
go with an IP intake. pretty resonalby priced, and really made my 4.7 come to life when passing people, and low end take off. dont expect huge wheel smoking power, but it is noticeable.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You won't get the same gains from a drop-in that you would from a cold-air, because you still have the stock intake plumbing. The aftermarket kits smooth out the airflow which increases the air velocity, thus putting more air into the engine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. i went with joes advice and added a K&N. AWESOME GAINS @ 4100 rpm. Not just me either I had a friend in the car and tested before and after. He also felt and notice the gains throughout. Thanks again

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Cool. Glad it worked out to where you can actually feel a difference.

OK, so what's next? Nitrous and/or supercharger, right! :crazy::D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha maybe some twin turbos!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah i was the friend in the truck it really really did make a really big difference more then you would think out of a drop in way more its deffintly a great difference...

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
I have fram's version of the K&N drop in. I noticed a nice improvment as well. My mileage went up a couple points too :). I think the true CAI would make a bit more difference (although not much) but I want the functional shaker hood one of these days and hate buying things I know wont be around long.

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Shake On, Mon!! :crazy:

·
Registered
484 Posts
you guys think kragen or autozone sells k&n or fram intakes for our durango? i have a 2000, 4.7L by the way... i definitely want to improve my gas mileage... thanks!

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
I got my K&N from Autozone yesterday. WOW, what a difference.
My stock filter had 9200 mi on it, I woke up yesterday morning like I had some kind of dream and I had to get the filter. It was three years old, I figured what the hell. Fram has same priced similar (not in stock) model. Seeing this thread again, it's probably what started 'it'. Yesterday I didn't get a chance to open it up, all local driving.
Tonight, it was definitely peppier, mine's no slouch but it felt like it was neverending. I even get a whistling at wot like it's gonna blow. Great replacement part/mod for any engine and it only needs service/oiling at ~45k mi.

·
Registered
484 Posts
how much is it and when you say it makes a difference, what kind of difference? do you think it improved your gas mileage? and exactly which one did you get? im just curious... thanks!

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
hcop33 said:
how much is it and when you say it makes a difference, what kind of difference? do you think it improved your gas mileage? and exactly which one did you get? im just curious... thanks!
I paid $53w/tax. If I'm not careful w/the throttle on takeoff I throw myself back even harder, passing feels stronger, don't have a clue about mileage, it's all mixed driving. Model # 33-2175

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Amazing the difference just opening up the air flow restriction due to the stock filter.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
My Intense Performance gives me a little better fuel milage, but nothing to brag about. However, i like it because it gives me more passing power especially around 60-65. you can feel the difference in pull from 60-80.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
I was looking at the typical airflow chart on K&N's box, the panel filter is only good for about 319cfm stock vs 441 k&N, the round type 548 vs 881. I also noticed the 3.7/3.9/4.7/5.2/5.9 all use the same filter box.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.