DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the purpose of that box that goes over the fan shroud? It comes off the air intake tube, runs over ontop of the fan shroud and dead ends.
It's just a small, flat box best I can tell.
Just wondering...

I was looking at the intake plumbing yesterday, and it looks like the inlet is behind the passenger side grill.
Are their any benefits to removing part of the cover behind the grill so the air can get to the opening easier?

thanks

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the flat "box" is merely a sound deadener...a resonator of sorts...it's actually called a Van Husen box or something...they have them on motorcycles too...one more performance robbing/silencing device on the D's...and go ahead and remove the rubber flap on the passenger side..it is limiting the airflow into the airbox...i took mine off the first week i had mine!!

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.
Is there a way to ubolt it, or does it just snap off?

I noticed there is some sort of sensor or plug-in near the inlet for the air ducting, is that just an airbag sensor or something?
Don't mean to ask some noobie / dumbass questions, but it's a brand new vehicle and I don't want to fook it up.
thanks.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Cut the flap and inspect the air filter at every oil change (to be 'safe'). Did make much of a difference? I doubt it - but hey - free HP is still free.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.
Did the K&N air charger eliminate the 'resonator box' on the intake tube?
Make any difference?
I have read that, with Durangos, the CAI don't seem to make much (if any) more HP.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the Aircharger ditches EVERYTHING aft of the throttle body...really cleans up the engine bay...check some of the threads on the 2G Durango section here and look at my setup...i LOVE the sound...due to the speed density setup that we have a CAI is not going to give you the same results as a MAF setup vehicle...but it sho' is cool!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Chizzle1 be advised that removing the flap inside the intake box may increase your chances of sucking rain/water into your engine. It's purpose is to deflect any water that gets splashed up toward your intake. Yes, you'll get better airflow but if you suck water into your engine you're screwed.

If you live in a place where it doesn't rain or snow much then weigh the pros and cons. ;)

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm going to leave it alone, it's my wife's anyway.
And it's not like it lacks power at all, but I'm always after a little more.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
come on...look at the position of the filter...it would have to go THROUGH the grille, into the airbox...THEN upwards through the filter and then all the way through the intake tubing into the throttle body..not likely, unless you're crossing a river...and if you're wading in 5 ft. of water you deserve hydro lock!!!

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and if you're wading in 5 ft. of water you deserve hydro lock!!!
see where it says "(wife's grocery rocket)" in my sig tag.
She's not going to take her new Durango shallow water fording.
The only thing we own that goes through anything like what you describe is the Ram, and that's because it's built for it.
The Durango will probably never see any mud, much less deep water.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
biged you're completely right. I realize it's a long shot, but after racking my brain (and reading the threads here) over why dodge put that flap there that's the only reason I've come up with why they included it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i dig all your points...to each their own...i TOTALLY hear you about it being your wife's grocery getter...i just can't help myself...i can never leave anything alone...example: my girlfriend has a Lexus RX 330...total chick SUV...so i still took out a factory baffle that was in the air intake plumbing and installed a K&N drop in panel filter...i'm sick like that...i figure at least i'll never have to change her air filter as long as she has it and maybe a few HP will be discovered...

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am considering the K&N drop in, only for MPG purposes.
After driving 310 miles and putting 21 gallons in it, I'm open to getting some more MPG through light modifications.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even a gain of 1 is still a gain.
Since you didn't see a gain at the pump I'm guessing you didn't see a gain at the pedal either.

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
The Airraid junior kit gets rid of the stock intake tube and adds a free flowing filter to your stock airbox. I think jeromejenkins put one in his with good results. I cut a door of sorts, hinged at the top, in the rubber flap behind the grill. I think at driving speed it should let a little more air through while directing the water (if any) downward. Although I haven't ridden on the front bumper yet to be sure. :D It's made it through several carwashes with the engine running and never stumbled.

·
lostsoul trapped in time
423 Posts
I would definetly recommend the Airaid Jr. Kit if you are after increased fuel economy, at least on the highway. I'm averaging 19~20MPG Highway and about 14~15MPG City. Prior to adding the Airaid Jr., I averaged about 17~18MPG Highway. The Airaid kit does eliminate the intake silencer/baffle to give more engine sound which is most noticeable for be between 1000RPM and 1500RPM. I eventually want to add a free-er flowing muffler to maybe gain 1 or 2 more hp but I keep hear horror stories from local muffler shops here in Pittsburgh about how loud the exhaust drone is in the GenII D's regardless of what performance muffler is installed; most have refused to upgrade my muffler (and I only have the 4.7).

As for the rubber-flap behind the grille; I removed mine about 1yr and a half ago and have had no problems at all. I've driven through rain storms, snow and no problems; this is a mod I would recommend to increase airflow to the stock intake, especially if you opt to buy the drop-in filter vs. a cone setup.

Alot of us have also been chopping off the resonator/2nd muffler and replacing with a chrome tip to give the D a throatier sound without upgrading the muffler; on mine, I hear the exhaust up until about 2000RPM then sound disappears (usually with highway driving) but in the city, my 4.7 definetly turns heads when pulling from a light or driving by. Check out the link in my sig to hear and see sample videos of what we did.

If you need to see pics of the Airaid Jr. kit installed, I can provide that to you as well. Hope my little bit of input helps. Oh and I know you're a long time dodgetalk member but WELCOME TO THE GENII DURANGO FORUM!!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
chizzle1 said:
Even a gain of 1 is still a gain.
Since you didn't see a gain at the pump I'm guessing you didn't see a gain at the pedal either.
I saw squat in mpg/hp gain with the drop in K&N air filter. I did do a before and after test using an accelerometer and there was hardly any gain. What I did notice is that I got extreme loss of hp/mpg when I put on my 22" rims. Im about to swap them back to OEM before the snow hits anyways.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and I know you're a long time dodgetalk member but WELCOME TO THE GENII DURANO FORUM!!!
thanks, I know my Ram inside and out, but her Durango is a completely different animal.
I'll look into removing that flap material from infront of the air inlet, maybe that will help on the highway some.
I saw squat in mpg/hp gain with the drop in K&N air filter. I did do a before and after test using an accelerometer and there was hardly any gain. What I did notice is that I got extreme loss of hp/mpg when I put on my 22" rims. Im about to swap them back to OEM before the snow hits anyways.
That's a no for spending money on a drop in then.
I have the same problem, when I bolt up the 35s I get about 9 in the city vs 12-13 with the 33s (on my Ram).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.