DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend, I will be installing my new ypipe and cat on my 97 Ram 2500 5.9 since mine is pretty much shot at this point. I will be installing an electric cutout after the cat (and after the second 02 sensor) along with it, so I can get some loud exhaust when I want to, and keep it quiet at other times. The other day when I was under the hood I noticed that last time I went off roading and got some mud under the hood that the hat on my air intake must have a crack because I have a little dirt in the throttle body. I want to use a K&N cone filter that I have in the garage, and want to route my own custom intake. What I want to know is there a place I can buy the "hat" that goes on the Throttle body? I dont care what it is or where its from, but any info would be great. Thanks!

Jon

*EDIT* I have seen about using other normal "circular" air cleaners or the edelbrock pro form but my main worry is about sucking water through them, since the water would have a to get past a filter and then along some tubing to the tb compared just past the filter. Thanks.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I would think you could go to the junkyard and pick up one from a Dakota - I making one for my Ram Van now out of parts from one

K&N is your other choice

only other thing I can think of is to pick up a cheap one on ebay

Keep us posted on your progress

Attachments

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
if your K&N cracked around the base that covers the throttle body, K&N did have a recall (IF you still have your receipt) and they were replacing them for free ... at least .. they did for a while

The K&N recall is for the FIPK with the part # 57-1511-1 for '94 to '01 trucks with the 5.2 or 5.9 engine. They are replacing the tube at their cost - shipping included.

They do want you to return the old tube once you have received the new one, they are covering the return shipping cost as well. Hope this helps. Just contact their customer service at 1-800-858-3333 ext. 4151

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
*EDIT* I have seen about using other normal "circular" air cleaners or the edelbrock pro form but my main worry is about sucking water through them, since the water would have a to get past a filter and then along some tubing to the tb compared just past the filter. Thanks.
If you get water high enough to get sucked in the throttle body, you have bigger issues to worry about than air filter elements.
Unless you get a 20 mph run at a deep mud hole, you shouldn't get any water to the air hat. I run my open element edelbrock and haven't had any water make it to the filter yet, that's with muddy water high enough to hit the bottom of the headlights.
There isn't much out there that will isolate the intake tract from the elements better than a snorkel or the stock box.

edit: one thing I did when I had my chrome hat intake setup was to wrap a black knit cap over the intake. This would keep large debris from completely fubaring the filter, which happened more frequently before I was lifted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, I may see if I can get another hat from a Dakota like RAM_Man said and make my own air intake. I like the clean look of the open element though, so im really torn. I may just make the intake since I have the K&N filter, and I have been looking for a project to do lately. Chizzle I went through some deep water that day above the bumper, but I think I really think the mud up there was from my driveway. My driveway is about 950 feet long and after it rains the water pools up and I like to have fun getting the truck dirty :) Ill keep you updated though, Im getting the cutout today from a friend, so hopefully Saturday it will finally sound good, and not be sluggish off the line because of that damn cat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is what I am thinking. This weekend, I am going to take it all off and get a good look at it to see what I can do to fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.