DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This isn't my side of the fence when it comes to Durango's as I'm more the suspension wizz. So, I seek information from the motor heads! Anyhow, I want to purchase the following items after receiving insight:

1) Airaid filter/intake
2) Airaid Throttle body spacer
3) Hypertech Power programmer
4) Edlebrock or Gibson Headers
5) Have True Dual Exhaust bent and built with two cats but NO mufflers

My questions are:

A) Will running no mufflers or and just straight pipes ruin or cause damage to my motor in combination or alone, with the other components listed above?

B) Are the 5 components above all that I need to do when revamping the air intake and exhaust flow of my Durango?

C) Would it be advisable to run a higher octane fuel such as 92/93 in combination with the above listed components?

Thanks and I would appreciate a few educated responses!

Ross

5.2 L 1999 Durango,
may be important too...as I'm currently running 36x13.50 tires so my motor is already working

· Registered
182 Posts
I don't have all that much knowledge in this field either but in terms of running the higher 91/93 octane gas with the hypertech programmer, one of the programs requires you to run 91 octane gas. Well I should say that it recommends using a higher octane gas because you can still run 87 but you will get a pinging sound and it can lead to expensive repairs. If you have a really big budget for the air induction you can go for a turbo/supercharger which are "forced induction" But thats only if you've got loads of extra cash around.

· Todd O
936 Posts
No mufflers will hurt the backpressure that your engine needs......don't do that. Get a free flowing exhaust don't get gibson try flowmaster like a catback. Don't get rid of your cats or free flowing cats that is a waste of money and will hurt your engine. TB spacers are a waste of money. Just get a drop in k and n filter or a cold air intake with a free flowing exhaust. Headers will help but can be a pain in the butt if you break bolts off in the head. If you get a cai get one that uses a heat shield and sucks air from outside of the engine check afe or volant I think those are the best. Don't be cheap with mods because I can attest through my own experience they don't help ( i.e. ebay intakes, tb spacer)

· Todd O
936 Posts
Gibson does make good headers but I have seen many problems with their exhausts. I have a flowmaster and love it!

· Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oxygen Sensor for two catalytic converters

I ran into a question that needs answered before Monday...

I currently have the pre and post O2 sensor at the Cat...If I am running true dual exhaust from the headers, do I need to have four O2 sensors (two for each cat) and if so, do I have to splice the two new into the other two sensors

Or can I remain with just 2 sensors...although doing so would lead me to believe only have my motor would be read

What will "Check Engine" light status be

Thanks

· Registered
36 Posts
You can run the O2 sensors in one side. The only drawback is that you are only reading from one bank. So if your engine is off left to right bank then the reading may cause the engine to run too rich or too lean. Depending on how tight your engine is. If you are confident that it the same side to side then you should be fine. I would take a compression test and look at how your plugs are burning to help you decide.

· Registered
36 Posts
From what I know, you cannot splice the two sensors together. They will only give half the reading or they will give double the reading. What I would do is buy an Air/Fuel guage and install the o2 sensor on the other side. This way you can monitor it. If you wanted to you could run the pipes close together so that you could switch the two around and compare readings. Instead of running one pipe down each side run them together. Then you have the best of both worlds. No "rigging it" and you get a wideband o2 sensor out of the deal. Don't go cheap on the A/F guage though. I installed one of these on my buddies durango.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp?Type=ATM_Air_Fuel_Wide&Series=Phantom

Yes expensive but worth it. If you ever change vehicles you can take it with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.