DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering what i should do because my air filter came off I put it back on and i don’t really no how long it was off for. Less than 1000 miles prob.
Do I need to take it in and get it checked out or should I be alright?

thanks

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
The damage is done. Rings, bearings, journals. It's just a matter of time. Not much you can do, other than change the oil and filter, and make sure the intake filter is secure.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dude . . . not cool . . . I hope you didn't suck up a lot of crap.
Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I wouldnt stress out alot. You may have accelerated the wear of certain items, but dirt goes through all filters. As long as you didnt pick up any leaves, etc you are ok. Change your oil a couple of times over the next couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Jason, you're not the first person that's ever happened to and surely won't be the last. As mentioned earlier, the damage is already done, BUT don't go thinking nothing but negative. You said it may have been off for up to 1,000 miles, but think about how long that might have been and then try and remember what type of driving you've done during this time.

If you've had a lot of rain during this time, that can be a good thing in that it has kept the dust in the air at a minimum. If you've done some dirt roads, were they really dusty or damp, etc. My point is, don't get totally bumbed out about it. The last 1,000 miles may not have been bad enough to have done really serious damage, but only you can be the judge of that.

If it were me, the very first thing I would do is change my oil and oil filter. Then I would probably go no more than 500 miles and change both again, in an attempt to flush your system of as much contamination you can. Other than a complete professional engine flush, there's not much more than you can do. Just keep a sharp ear for unusual noises, etc., and keep a closer watch on all your guages for a while for any noticeable changes as well.

I don't know if your truck is still under warranty, but push comes to shove and something unusual does occur and it is still under warranty, just bring it in and tell them what you're experiencing (noise, higher than normal operating temp, etc.) and you don't have any idea why. I wouldn't tell them about the missing filter of course.

Just trying to ease your mind a bit. It may not be all that bad, and the filter could have come off yesterday too. There's no way to know for sure.

Good Luck: Steve

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
I agree that any damage that could have been done is already done. But don't stress out and freak over it. I had a Honda Accord that I drove into the ground daily and I ran without a filter on it for almost 3 weeks by mistake. I mean I ran it hard everyday, that thing sucked up a lot of air windiong out so high too. Nothing bad ever came of it, so don't trip too much. All should probably be fine. :D

KB

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
I had a 250 6cyl that I drove for almost 4 years with NO filter NEVER not once, I had to put at least 70,000 miles on it in that time frame....... It was just the carb wide open with zero protection and I never had a problem ... not once and the engine was running great up to the point I wrapped it around a telephone pole... so I would not sweet it at all. It not a good idea to do intentionaly drive with no filter like I did.. but you are unlikely to EVER feel the effects from the filter being out of place for such a short period of time. If you where going to have SEVER damage.. you would know it by now... so if all is running fine... then change your oil... and move on. I doubt any damage at all has occured and if it had your talking so minute that you will never know what it was and it will be the people who own it after the people you sold it to sell it.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.