DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Air down" for snow/ice?

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  HemiTyler 
#1 ·
Does "airing down" improve grip at all on icing roads?

I have load range E "severe snow-rated" tires I normally run at 40 psi. Would going down to 33-35 psi for winter be helpful or no difference?

#2 ·
Personally I wouldnt. Unless Im in Sand (Which i never am), I would never air down. We get some pretty crazy snow storms her in Ontario, and i've never been close to being stuck or losing control in the winter.

#4 ·
I run 40 in my tires and they do great in snow and on ice. Used to run 35 in my half ton chevy and that worked great on that truck

#5 ·
in theory, airing down is gonna give you more contact but slick is slick and ultimately isn't going to net you much assistance cause once you've broke loose, it doesn't matter how big of a foot print you have.

#6 ·
Icy roads, run what you normally run. When the snow starts to get deep, air down some.

Attachments

#8 ·
You nailed it, skinny tires cut through the snow while wider tires plow.

#9 ·
The only time you should air down is when you get that thick slushy snow. Slushy wet snow is the same as mud.

#10 ·
airing down in soft deep snow will cause floating. Even though your truck weights 5300+lbs when you air down you create more surface area which in snow that it light and powdery, no good...you can air down in something that is heavy and think such as wet snow not really needed though. and hell if your in a state that supports it carry some chains as well added traction is never a bad idea. On ice 4 wheels spin as easy as 2 so safe travels!

#11 ·
If you already have "severe snow rated tires" you're probably fine as is, becasue your tires are already a super soft rubber compound. (they'll have the little mountian/snowfake symbol on the side wall) Now I'm probably biased, but depending on which tires you have (actual snow tires vs. a/t or m/t), I'd drop the pressure a bit if they're anything but TRUE snow tires. But I run about 32-35psi to begin with year round so like I said: biased. (toyo m/ts are stiff futhermuckers). I mean look at those crazy "icelandic" trucks & buggies, they run enormous tires at insanely low psi. Just experiment a bit and see what feels right to you and your truck. I think you'll find that you'll have less of that "jittery/stuttering" feeling on snowy roads when you hit all the little bumps on the road at a lower psi. And when you're traveling at speed, in my opinion, that's the differnce between oh crap and HOLY F#%K...:D

#12 ·
Guys I need to do SOMETHING here - these tires are the worst handling things I have ever driven on. They are Goodyear Wrangler Pro Grade - "severe snow" rated.

I bought these because they are listed as GY's top-of-the-line tire for snow/ice traction. If these are the BEST rated then the lowest rated should be illegal. I think maybe the "pro grade" version has very hard tread which is great for service life but terrible for cold weather traction.

I just got back from a long "white knuckle" weekend in the So Cal mountains. These tires don't grip AT ALL. I had to put chains on just to get moving in a FLAT parking lot!!! People with mini vans were driving around me!!!!

I cannot afford all new tires right now. Is there anything I can do to improve these things? Additional machine siping maybe? I don't care if it shortens the tire life at this point if it will improve the grip.

#13 ·
My experience would tell me that tread width has more to do with this than anything. Dad ran some 10" wide tires on wagon wheels on an old Ford pickup during the summer but as soon as the snow plow went on he want back to the standard narrow tires on factory steelie wheels.

There was no way to plow with those wide tires as the weight of the vehicle was spread across a wider area. This is also part of the reason that dedicated snow tires are often sold in narrower sizes than what came on a car/truck.

As for options other than chains or different tires, I don't know of any.

#14 ·
It sounds like your two wheel drive and probally a peg leg so one wheel is all youve got. I don't think any tire is going to help much. Best thing is probally get 300+ pounds in the bed over the axle, this will help keep the tires from spinning, very light throttle taking off from stops and if it spins let off. Good luck

#15 ·
No, actually I have a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear and 4WD. In 2WD mode it doesn't move at all - on the slightest grade I get sideways in a heartbeat - probably because the front end is so heavy. I need to switch to 4WD any time the road is the least bit icy. That's fine going uphill but my main concern is being able to stop going DOWNHILL.

I don't see 2WD CARS around me having this same problem. They seem to move/stop just fine.

These tires have NO bite whatsoever. I have aired the rears down to 32 and added 200 pounds at the tailgate. That seemed to help. Is that the best I can do? Would more siping help?

#16 ·
Additional siping can make a significant difference if the tires are lacking in that department. Do your tires have the mountain snowflake symbol on the side wall? It's the difference between marketing and DOT approval... The next time you're in snow and don't have somewhere to be, play around with the psi some more. Worse case scenario it'll cost you a couple bucks a the gas station IF they charge for air... Good luck!

#17 ·
Do your tires have the mountain snowflake symbol on the side wall?
Yes they do and that was one of my reasons for buying them. I thought I was doing the right thing! But they sure don't behave like a snow tire at all. They feel "bald".

I am going to look into siping. These tires have the "pro grade" load E rating which may mean that the tread is fairly hard. Maybe more siping would soften them up a bit?

BTW - My wife is furious with me for selling our Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was FLAWLESS in the snow and ice. This truck is a "white knuckle ride" by comparison and she absolutely hates it.:ugh

#18 ·
First, move the weight to either right over the rear axle or right behind the cab and add another 100lbs. Putting the weight at the tailgate will cause you even more trouble if your back end starts to swing out on you.

Air down the fronts as well. 32 psi is a good pressure to be at. Too much less and you'll get uneven wear.

If the tread seems hard, check out other ice/snow rated tires just to compare. True winter tires are made of a softer rubber, which is why they wear faster than summer or all season tires. The other option would be to get them studded. If they are true winter tires, they'll already have the holes for the studs. But remember, most places have restrictions on what months you can run studded tires so you'll need a second set for the nicer seasons.

Other cars are having less trouble because they're either front wheel drive, or if they're rear wheel drive, the weight distribution from front to back is much more even than a truck. Which is why your jeep handled so much better.

#20 ·
Interesting. I was wondering if there was something like this. How do you apply it? Would it be safe on a street vehicle or could it cause my tread come apart on the freeway, etc.? Could be a little risky.:YO:

Studs are illegal in CA. Our only option is chains which work great on ice BUT they slide around horribly when you get to dry pavement! Go figure.

I think what I really need is a good set of snow/ice tires - like Blizzaks. The wife will kill me if I suggest spending another grand to make this thing work. But, safety is priority.

#21 ·
It just sprays on, then left for a while before bolting on.

It is primarily for reviving competition tyres which may get part used then left until the next summer or winter before use, don't know if it actually softens the compound of a new tyre.

#22 ·
You get a good tire shop to cut grooves in the tread. Its cheap cant remember the proper wording for it.

#23 ·
Ya its Sipes.... they help with traction big time! and being from northern new brunswick.. you learn that small narrow tires are the key in the winter! so keep them tires aired up! .... chains.. studs.. self tapping screws... all work wonders also

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.