DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it harmful to your air conditioning compressor, or any other part of the AC system, to leave the your AC and fan on when you shut off your truck? I have been told this by many people, and I dont understand how this could hurt it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
i always leave mine on and have never had a problem, one of my trucks i have had since 90 and the ac comp is still working (knock on wood).

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I don't see how that could hurt it. When you turn the key off there is no power going to any accessories.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It could. During higher temps the system pressure goes way up in the system. With the ENG off there is no air being pulled over the condenser to cool down the freon. As the temp goes up so does the pressure. When you first start the vehicle you may hear a clunk. This is the compresser jolting when it trys to turn. If you drive a few feet before turning it on the air flow will cool enough to prevent this.

With that said I usually leave mine on. It is not servere enough to bother me. In my new-to-us truck it is more noticable and I have been turning it off. But I need to see if the something looks loose.

Randy

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
i turn my mine off only by habit b/c i have a couple other things to turn off as well

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
I turn mine off but that's an old habit. On some older systems the oil in the system would collect in the pump and could hydrolock the pump on start up, damaging the pump valves. Not sure if the same applies to the new 134a systems but hey, it couldn't hurt to flip the switch just to be sure, right?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
gregu said:
Is it harmful to your air conditioning compressor, or any other part of the AC system, to leave the your AC and fan on when you shut off your truck? I have been told this by many people, and I dont understand how this could hurt it.
My dad always turned the compressor off but left the fan on to "vent" the inside of the car when he shut it off. I do the same thing today. I do it only out of habit. But I have had four trucks and two cars, and never had an a/c compressor go out on me.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys everyone.
The reason I was asking is because I have a remote start, and I would like to be able to keep the ac on for when I start it. So it's nice and cool when I get out there. :D

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
it shouldnt hurt it, what kind of alarm do u have in the truck?

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
The myth is busted. Leave it on if you want to. Just dont get caught running with scissors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what kind of alarm do u have in the truck?
I don't have an alarm on it, just the basic shut off safties that came with the remote starter. (if the hood is opened, or any of the pedals pressed without the key in the ignition, the truck shuts off.)

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
ScojoDak said:
The myth is busted. Leave it on if you want to. Just dont get caught running with scissors.
Rofl...

I turn mine off out of habit, just cause when I get in my car in the New York winters I don't want cold air blowing all over me.. it is cold enough up here as it is.. this morning 39* at 7 am.... =/

-Pat-

·
Registered
50 Posts
ScojoDak said:

Try 105 - 120 F. You'll see it does occur. As I said I usually leave mine on, but that does not mean it is false.

Randy

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
Just don't turn it off and start it again before two minutes - that's when the pressure can go too high.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't worry about leaving the AC on when you shut off your vehicle. Nowadays with computer controls on every thing if it was bad the be a system to protect it. They used to say turn off the AC when you shut off your car. Back in the days when cars didn't start so well, you didn't need an AC pump robbing your starting power.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Sgtark said:
can we get adam and jaime from mythbusters to try this one out?
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.