DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be changing out my radio for a flip out tv. i have the infinity stereo system in the truck right now im not not looking at changing it for the time being. someone told me that when i hook up the radio that my tweeter wont work and ill have to re wire them. is this true?

also, the tv im looking at has that new parking brake system where you have to disengage then engage the parking brake before the dvd will play. i thought about just putting a switch to simulate the parking brake but is there some sort of relay or maybe an easier way to go about this since im kind of lazy and dont want to flip a switch every time i get in the car. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sorry is this sounds harsh, but don’t bypass the DVD players safety systems. Their there to project you and other drivers. I wouldn’t want to read about you rear ending some one b/c you were watching an episode of Family Guy.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
DodgeThis_AZ said:
Sorry is this sounds harsh, but don’t bypass the DVD players safety systems. Their there to project you and other drivers. I wouldn’t want to read about you rear ending some one b/c you were watching an episode of Family Guy.
its liek anything else you need to use your head

mine will play going down the road but i only play it when i am sitting still or stuck in traffic

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont want to watch when im driving but when im stuck in traffic or stuff like that. i just see it as a pain in the butt to have to disengage and re-engage the parking brake to watch a movie when i want to.

im interested more about whether all my speakers will still work with an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
905 Posts
As far as bypassing the parking brake wire. It depends on the HU your looking at. The newer Pioneers have gyroscopes built into the unit so if you use a switch, the gyroscopes and GPS will tell the unit that your in motion and kill the picture. Certain Alpines have an adaptor to replicate the footbrake/ parkbrake sequence. Units like the Phase Linear/ Jensen require an on/off/on sequence of the parkbrake wire. You need a switch to ground to replicate the sequence and no way to go around it.
As for the Infinity system, your better off replacing the whole thing since those speakers and amp are the bottom of the barrel quality.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input on the speakers but i cant afford to buy my speakers and tv all at once and they sound alot better then the ones i had in my wrangler so ill keep them for a while. but will the work with an aftermarket head unit?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
What year is your Ram? I have on 04 with the Infinity System and upgraded to an Eclipse Flip out DVD deck. The sound quality is much cleaner than what the stock head unit was feeding it. I also added a hotbox with a 10" sub and a 400W amp. So I am still runnning the factory Infinity setup and I can play movies on the go.

KB

Attachments

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
It all depends on which unit it is... I have an AVIC-N1 and all I have to do is hook it to ground... no switches or anyhting extra needed.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the ram is a 2002. im going to buy the jensen vm9511. how is the install on the ram? i never had to do a sound system where we retained the factory amp so im not sure how hard it is. i plan on doing subs in the future. im thinkin 2 12's under the rear seat.

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
which wire is this parking brake wire? it says the same thing in my HU but it eve does it when I have the parking brake on.maybe there was a wire i missed.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a pink wire. i read that it has to sence the parking brake sequence before it will play meaning that i have to disengage and re-engage the parking brake before it will work. i guess im just going to put a switch in for when i want to watch the tv or a movie. not really a big deal because i probably wont do that too often. im more concerned with whether or not all my speakers will work with my new head unit through the factory amp.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Try just putting it to a ground... my manual says the same thing.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, i have been doing some research to see what the real deal with using the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit is. i heard something about it being impossible to do on the 04/05's because they used a pci bus plug to power it but that on a 02/03 it can be done. i also read about having to hook up the amp lead wire on the radio to the ground wire on the infinity amp to turn it on. is that true? i heard that my tweeters in my dash will not work after it is installed and will need to be wired directly to the radio in order for them to work. is that ture as well? also, i read crutchfield's installation instructions for my truck and they talk about a harness for the radio. i already have the harness that connects my radio to the factory harness on the truck but is there another harness that i need? heres a quote directly from crutchfield's site:

Connections:

Notes: You'll need to connect the receiver's ground wire to either the braided strap inside the dash, or to the ground wire, or you may need to make a new ground connection to your car's chassis. On some vehicles, you may have a common ground. If so, the speaker negatives are electrically the same for the left and right side speakers. Most aftermarket receivers (and all that Crutchfield sells) will need an additional adapter, or you may run new speaker wires from your receiver to the speakers - see "Accessories" for speaker wire.

Infinity Sound System Notes: If your vehicle has the Infinity system, you'll connect the blue wire from the Crutchfield harness to the amp remote wire from the new receiver. There also may be a second wire, usually green/black, attached to the factory radio chassis with the braided strap. If so, this is the ground for the Infinity amplifier(s), and it must be attached to the braided strap and the replacement receiver's ground wire.

12V constant power
12V switched power
power antenna turn-on
dimmer
left front speaker +/-
right front speaker +/-
left rear speaker +/-
right rear speaker +/-
is there anything else that i need to know before i start? i already have the radio and im itching to put in in but i just want to make sure i know what i need to do before i start. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
You don't need any extra harnesses. I just used the install wiring kit and dash kit and I was fine. I tapped the dk grn with lt grn stripe, I think, wire to the blue remote turn on from the deck. Bam...Infinity system works fine. This is on my 04 by the way, colors on the 02 may be different.

KB

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Oh yeah, Tony I just grounded mine to a screw in the dash. No problems with it playing on the go.

KB

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a kenwood 7.5 touch screen. I also just grounded the parking brake wire and I can watch movies on the go. I don't recommend it though, too hard to drive and watch at the same time. My 04 ram has the infinity sound and with the aftermarket deck, the sound is so much cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so i just need the remote wire for the infinity amp and i will be fine? what color wire was it? you guys are great, from what i was reading on dodge forums i was getting worried about having to invest alot more money just to get everything to work right. thanks again.

·
1 TIM 6:12 Fight RIGHT!!
2,160 Posts
Hey Danny! I've got an 02 Ram also and the stock Infinity system sounds pretty good in my truck. Is yours a single CD or 6 CD unit? I've heard that the 02's Infinity systems were pretty decent compared to the following years. I too would like to upgrade sometime. Good luck with yours!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.