DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, I am installing an aftermarket radio in my 99 5.9 doge ram quad cab. I believe the factory radio is the standard model since it doesn't say 'infinity' on it, it's got a CD and the little joystick fader and the bass, treble slider buttons.

When I installed a Phase Linear BT1611I head unit I bought an easy wiring kit ( a grey & black connector) which ended up matching the color coded wire from the head unit. I have also double checked the wiring against the factory wiring scheme and it all matched.

The radio turns on and seems to work fine but I don't get any sound out of the speakers, none of them, from any of the outputs on the radio (CD, tuner, MMC card etc). Not static, pops or electronic hums even when I crank the volume all the way up. The speakers work fine with the factory head unit both before and after installation.

I figured it was a blown amp on the BT1611I head unit so I removed it and tested it on the bench with an old speaker I had lying around and the damn thing has sound when I do that! I am sure I have the speakers wired correctly when I have it installed in the truck. Even if I screwed up some of the speaker connections I should get at least 1 or 2 working

Any ideas on what could be the problem? Could there be a factory amp in the truck thats screwing things up? The only wires in the original harness not being used are the dimmer and 'Day Sense' wires. Attached is the diagram that seems to match what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
HeMi LoVe
823 Posts
are you certain you hooked up the remote amp power wire to the proper place, if you do have a factory amp in your truck it would use the trigger wire from your aftermarket radio, the same trigger that would trigger your amp to turn on.

ive had this happen a few times on some past vehicles

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps I have a 'premium radio', what is the radio choke relay? Is that for turning on the amp? If it is to power the amp Should I cross it with switched power or the power antenna lead for the radio? (I don't have a power antenna).

Thanks!

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
make sure that you connect the blue/white from the radio to the blue or blue/white on the gray/black harness. You can jump the switched accy (red) to the amp turn-on, but it may cause a popping in the speakers due to a "hard" turn-on rather than the soft remote turn-on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.