DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 W100 had the stock tank removed and a custom tank put in the bed. I really do not want it in there so I have been looking for an alternative. After searching the net, I found AeroTanks. I gave them a call, and they are telling me $275 for the 16 gallon tank and $58 for the sending unit.

This tank mounts behind the cab and in front of the rear tire. Outside the frame but inside the body. The fill port is in the rear wheel well.

What is everyone's opinion on having a tank there? That seems like a decent price to me considering the availability of stock tanks.

Just looking for a little input.

Thanks

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Not bad for a new tank. I take it there are no junkyard options? Will it be an issue with your current exhaust?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No old dodges in the local junk yards.

Right now my exhaust is "in work." I have been quotes to have new exhaust installed from the headers back. I was just going to have them dump somewhere under the bed. With that said, and the tank being outside the frame, would it be a problem with heat?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Some Chevy's had a tank outside the frame but inside the body - boom!

How about a RC tank in the rear?

L

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually had a ram charger at my disposal. We ended up scrapping it before I could get the tank out. It was blocked in by a home made hitch that was welded to the frame and I did not have any way of cutting it. So now I am back to square one looking for a tank. I did find a 76 that is parting out on craigslist but the tank is gone. I am only getting the rear bumper and tail gate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some Chevy's had a tank outside the frame but inside the body - boom!
SOME Chevys???? How about all from 73-87.
Over-hyped non issue.
So do school busses,
Semis
And a good portion of commercial vehicles.

And for those that saw the video of the "Exploding Gas Tank" ---I wonder if you noticed at all that the tank "Blew Up" before the car actually hit the side of the pick-up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was really curious about this and have been asking around to make sure it is safe. And to me it seems safer then to have it behind the seat.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Semis use diesel so less flammable but there has been periodic talk of moving the side tanks to a less vulnerable position since at least the early '80s. Plus now every accident that ruptures a diesel tank creates a hazmat event and shuts down the road for hours.

If you are having a custom tank made I'd think think you could get one made to fit in the original location. You might have to cut one out of block Styrofoam as a template since you don't have an original. But - IIRC the original while rounded b/c it was cast in plastic is basically long and rectangular. Grady

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here are the dimensions for a custom tank for a '73, but the '74 has a different inlet location. Maybe someone can measure theirs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
interested in this issue as well. My club cab has had the bed tank removed with only the tank in the cab left. I really want to pull it and put in a bench seat. I did hear that the bed floor tank causes an dual exhuast issue. So I guess it must hang down some? My rigs a little low. I usually just put in a suburban or blazer tank under the bed floor behind the axle. Would the sender work with the gauge?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i'm not a chevy man but those exploding tanks were bullshit. for 14 years they were in the same location. if they were so unsafe the gov would have forced gm to move em. don't believe anything you see on tv, especially leftist, biased tv news. that's better. the stock location dodge truck tank leaves a huge gap between the propshaft and right side frame that leaves a lot of room for a dual exhaust system, like mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.