DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay its time I get rid of the jerry rigged dual exhaust that the dealer put on my truck before I bought it. I want to use either Borla, Gibson, or Magnaflow - but when I try to look up an exhaust system from Borla or Magnaflow they don't list any 3/4 ton trucks just 1/2 tons. Can a 1/2 ton exhaust be made to fit a 3/4? Or do they have 3/4 ton exhaust but don't list them.

The next question - I know Gibson makes a PW specific exhaust, but I heard their warranty / customer service can be less then desired when compared to Borla and Magnaflow. So has anyone had to use their warranty for their Gibson exhaust, and if so did you have an issues with it?

I want to stay with stainless since I live up here in the rust belt, and don't want to keep getting a new exhaust every 3-4 years. I do have the Gibson part number for thier duals, and if anyone has any other numbers for Borla or Magnaflow could you send them this way.

Also what makes a PW exhaust specific vs a normal 3/4 ton truck. Had a dealer run the parts numbers, and the only difference they showed was the muffler. I assume its tuned different for lower rpm numbers, or is it something else?

thanks

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I honestly do not believe there is a difference between a PW and 2500 exhaust. Now the 1500s do have a couple resonators inline that we do not/did not have. What I did was to purchase a Aeroturbine 3030 and have Meineke replace the stock muffler and dump it. It sounds great; maybe a little too loud. In hindsight I should of went with the resonated version, the 3030XL. At least my wife wouldn't complain as much;). Aero is stainless ans a straight thru design. MBRP makes some good SS exhausts. I had a set of their cool duals on my '03 diesel dually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an '05 PW. I put the Banks Monster exhaust kit on it. It had a great rumble to it put not too loud. It was for the regular 2500 but it matched up perfectly, no cutting or drilling. I was really impressed with Banks customer service and warranty. I never had any warranty issues though. I've had Gibson on previous trucks and it was just a little too loud imo. Just my experience and 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we went with a Magnaflow kit for the truck. We had to relocate some hangers on the truck to keep the Magnaflow hangers intact as to not void the warranty. So you can make a 1/2 exhaust system work for a 3/4 ton truck. We talked to Magnaflow and they said it should work, but since they never test fit one they wouldn't / couldn't put that on their site.

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts

·
Labrador Retrievers rule!
1,794 Posts
I have the Gibson stainless system in split rear exit style. What they say on their website about how each of their different systems will sound is good info, not B.S.

Gibson has Power Wagon specific part numbers... Somebody on this forum was the test mule for Gibson's development. You know it's gonna fit.

Except for the Super Truck system that dumps just after the muffler, in front of the rear tire, all of their systems are relatively quiet inside the cab. As long as you are not juicing it. Freeway cruising is nice. No annoying drone. I didn't want a system that affected my stereo/music experience. I think the Gibson's sound perfect.

I have a fairly loud Borla system on my Cobra, and didn't want that intensity in my truck. The Borla Stinger system is a wicked sound in a Mustang. Not the loudest, but unique, with the sweetest burble sound on the over-run/down shift. But, serious drone at certain RPM's. If I didn't already have a muscle car, maybe I would have gone with the Super Truck style, or the other brands known for their very deep, louder sound, on the Power Wagon...

I would not recommend the split rear exit style if you want to fit larger than stock 285's in the spare tire location. Or if you tow a trailer due to increase in noise bouncing back at you. Also it is a royal PITA to align the rear tips to look perfect. The dual side exit is probably better, especially if you are installing it yourself. Overall, not a fun job to do alone.

FYI- I had to reuse the stock pinch clamp on the main pipe. The Gibson clamp would not hold without the tube slipping backwards. It was impossible to align anything from there back, without it being fixed solid. I don't have a welder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts