DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some opinions and also to see if anyone has installed an aftermarket deep transmission pan on the PW. Mag-Hytec is the brand that I have bought for my diesels and are quality pieces. Has anyone put one of these on? Do they interfere with the exhaust?

I just purchased this PW for work and there will be a trailer connected to it majority of the time and there are a ton of mountains in my area. A couple more qts. of tranny fluid along with a gauge to monitor the temp would go a long way since I am still not a fan of automatics... Plus its that time to flush the system, might as well upgrade while spending all that money on ATF.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I am pretty sure they made allowance for the exhaust crossover pipe in thier new design. I have never had one, but would if I had an auto. I put my own drain plug in my 04' we had. Also had the bigger 1 ton trans cooler put on, Part # 52029089AB. Made a world of difference towing. Stock cooler is a 10-12 row, 1 Ton cooler is 22-24 row. Direct fit Dodge part.

Everyone I ever spoke to that had a Mag-Hytec said they are excellent & really help cool it down.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Think PML makes 2 different pans. Ones a 2qt, the other is a 4qt. Moes has them. Think the 2qt clears everything, but the 4qt might hit. This is on my back burner list for right now. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I just confirmed that the newer design will fit without any further modifcation. Thinking I am going to go ahead and purchase this along with the 1ton trans cooler and an autometer to protect this tranny. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also had the bigger 1 ton trans cooler put on, Part # 52029089AB. Made a world of difference towing. Stock cooler is a 10-12 row, 1 Ton cooler is 22-24 row. Direct fit Dodge part.
Hey TwinStick, I like the idea of a larger cooler.
When you say " Direct fit Dodge part " , are you saying it was a straight swap with no modifications required ?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Yup. Dodge part & direct fit. If you look at your stock trans cooler, there is a slide in tab type of deal. Stock cooler only uses one tab, but if you look, you'll see two-one above the stock one. The new bigger cooler uses both nounting tabs. One of the few benefits of consolodating parts.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks.
I've been wanting to install a temperature gauge so I think I'll check out the larger cooler also.

JPNHigh, do you know if the deeper pan comes with a bung for the temp. gauge sender ?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As TwinStick said they do. You buy that deep pan with an autometer gauge you will need nothing else, all the hardware is there for the install.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just called my dealer for the price and availability of the cooler #52029089AB, $233.70 and would take 5 days to get here from back East.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
It is still worth it. It is GREAT to have that extra safety margin built in for those days when it is 100+ deg & you are beating on it. Especially where you live. Get one while the gettin is good.

·
..::MOOSE::..
1,580 Posts
It is still worth it. It is GREAT to have that extra safety margin built in for those days when it is 100+ deg & you are beating on it. Especially where you live. Get one while the gettin is good.
Hmmmmm?? Since I'm STILL HERE I might as well check and see if the have one........

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Just remember this: For every 20 deg increase in temp (over regular operating temp), you are reducing the fluid life by half. They recomend changing it every 15-30,000 miles, but how many actually do it ?? Then just think, if you went 20 deg up, it's reduced to 7500-15,000 miles. Another 20 deg up, it's reduced to 3750-7500 miles. Ect, ect. It don't take long to realize it is of MAJOR importance to keep trans temps as low as possible. One big long hill while towing at max load can destroy your fluid if not kept at operating temp. Thats why I change mine every year. $50 worth of fluid is good peace of mind.

·
1,580 Posts
Just ordered the HD cooler (#52029089AB), so apparently they still have them in stock. When I go to pick it up I'll ask how many are left or if you want you can call your dealership to find out. The way I drive sometimes, I would want the extra cooling capacity to help prevent premature failure. You would've thought that dodge would have included the larger cooler on the PW package, well I just did!;D Thanks to all for this post. It helps to learn more about simple but effective upgrades that are lost or forgotten in the other posts.:tup::tup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just ordered the HD cooler (#52029089AB), so apparently they still have them in stock. When I go to pick it up I'll ask how many are left or if you want you can call your dealership to find out. The way I drive sometimes, I would want the extra cooling capacity to help prevent premature failure. You would've thought that dodge would have included the larger cooler on the PW package, well I just did!;D Thanks to all for this post. It helps to learn more about simple but effective upgrades that are lost or forgotten in the other posts.:tup::tup:
I agree. Is the HD cooler going to be hard to get? I just bought the MagHytec pan, wix tranny filter, lots of qts of royal purple, autometer gauge and SRT10 pillar. Going to tackle the transmission tomorrow. I would love to get the extra rows for cooling but can't spend much more on this truck right now.

·
1,580 Posts
I agree. Is the HD cooler going to be hard to get? I just bought the MagHytec pan, wix tranny filter, lots of qts of royal purple, autometer gauge and SRT10 pillar. Going to tackle the transmission tomorrow. I would love to get the extra rows for cooling but can't spend much more on this truck right now.
It seems that they're still some left in the warehouse. If you are planning to go this route don't wait. Get them before you mis out. Just my $2.05....

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
The large trans cooler is just another area IMO that the engineers dropped the ball. If they would get some input from the "working man" & actually incorperate it into the design, there is no doubt they would have a better product & customers that are more loyal. ARB just came out with a rear air locker for the F-150's & Ford just came out with an electric locker for the back of it's newest F-series. So the Power Wagon HAS made the others step up thier game a little anyway. If Dodge bought & installed Carli HD ball joints, control arms, track bars, HD U-joints that last, a PSC steering brace, Borgeson steering shaft in large quanities, the prices would be cheaper, they would be keeping Americans working, keep the contractors from having less down time & maint on thier vehicles--all for $2000 more. Thats sounds like a win-win situation for everyone. Thier customers would be fiercely loyal. I think this whole "lets make it as cheap as possible, charge as much for it as we can, & make it so no one else can work on it" mentality has reached it's peak. Customers are sick of the problems & looking elsewhere for a better product. They are losing customers IMO.

·
1,580 Posts
It seems that they're still some left in the warehouse. If you are planning to go this route don't wait. Get them before you mis out. Just my $2.05....
Just picked up my cooler and WOW it's huge!! I'll post some pics later. From wht the guy told me is there are 13 left in the states. If you want them, get them. I'm just glad I'm not last in line this time.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Glad I could be of help & glad you got one. :tup::tup: Change your fluid every year & you should have no trans problems.

·
Mr. Registered User
384 Posts
So this one is the little cooler not the HD one?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts