DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last set of chrome ultra's corroded up and the chrome started peeling up on the back side of the rims. My neighbor's chrome (MKW's?) wheels didn't make it a year before they started to corrode. Does anybody make a chrome wheel that holds up better? Are any of you have having problems or good luck with a certain brand?

Thanks,
Rob

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
I've had chrome ultras and now the moto metals and both seem to be good quality wheels to me. Just give them a good coat of wax once in awhile and they should do just fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm in Florida, but It seemed like a well known problem on the chevy boards I used to visit. The problem seems to come from brake dust. Maybe the wheel manufacturer's started applying a heaver chrome finish.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
the reason I asked was, I have chrome wheels on my '00 Ram Van and no sign of rust here in MI, where they salt the road heavily

on my former '98 Ram Truck, I had Motto wheels, but that truck never saw the snow, so I don't know how they would react

just curious

Attachments

·
United States Navy
230 Posts
The original set of MKW's I had while in DC started to go bad pretty quick and MKW replaced them. The set I have on now are holding up, but I have recently noticed some initial pitting in the spots where brake dust builds up. As mentioned earlier, brake dust eats through them for some reason, not the salt.

Keep them clean and waxed and they should hold up.

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
If you use a cleaner to clean your wheels,first cool them down if your cleaning them after useing your vehicle with just water.Heat with the cleaner and the brake dust cause a chemical reaction resulting in the fade of the chrome,corroding of the chrome,and sometimes peeling.A coat of wax also keeps your wheels looking nice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys! I think if I do anything, I'll go with a non-chrome wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.