DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped by a local auto enhancement shop today (appropriately named Auto Extras) and ordered an adhesive backed body side molding that is 3/8" wide and having a slightly rounded profile. There was one that was really rounded but I decided against that one. The salesman gave me a piece to take home to try on the car but he didn't have enough left on the roll to fill my order. It looks GREAT!

I still can't believe D-C didn't put brightwork in those recessed areas on the front and rear bumpers of the Magnums. They are just begging for some chrome strips (imho) so I am going to embelish my car with some 'chrome' of my own! Will get some pictures of the bumpers once the molding arrives and I have a chance to install it. Haven't seen another Magnum around town with this done to it. Hopefully my RT will be the only one (for a while)!

Greg McDonnell

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I read the description of the brightwork on the SRT-8 and they referred to it as having a satin finish. The molding I selected matches the body side molding on the doors of the 'regular' Magnums and the RTs (bright chrome color).

Anyway, I think it is going to be a nice improvement over the otherwise bland bumpers. I've been noticing brightwork placement on other cars and I have seen small touches like this on quite a few different makes and models. It's a no brainer (to me, anyway) that these recessed areas on the Magnum get some 'chrome'.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i think the bumpers look tough without any chrome,in my opinion they shouldnt even have any chrome on the side molding,the only chrome should be the on the emblems and the grill,in some case's. just my opinion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm with slappy. I guess I'll be peeling chrome. I've thought about getting 2 extra sets of emblems. One original for the next owner and one to get body color painted for the car to wear while I own it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
maybe even color match the grill to what ever color the car is. sweet!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Supposedly Dodge will be doing that on the SRT-8. So hopefully I won't have to do that little project. It would be nice if I could keep the side molding somehow and just lose the chrome piece but I doubt it will look right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see my Magnum RT in a totally different light than others, I guess. I like the chrome and wish more had been added at the factory. I wouldn't think of removing the body side chrome strips or any emblems. I like the roof rack and ordered my car with it. I installed a genuine rosewood interior kit and an engine dress up kit. Instead of making my car look 'tougher' (to me, it came from the factory looking pleny tough), I've enjoyed adding more of an elegant, yet sporty look to it. Almost like a 300C station wagon I guess. Everybody's taste is different and the car can be dressed up or dressed down and still look good. Each to his own. I'm looking forward to my chrome strips on the bumpers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Greg McDonnell said:
Everybody's taste is different and the car can be dressed up or dressed down and still look good. Each to his own.

Exactly. That's the fun of it. This way we all get to make the car personalized. My MB C43 and my Wife's Volvo V70R are both "chrome-less" from the factory and I like it. My in-laws 300C has chrome all over it and they love that look.

If I can get the SRT in Brilliant black I might try a smoke treatment on the chrome and emblems and see how that looks. A little metallic showing through but still "toned down" might be perfect.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

I'm seriously Jonsing for my car!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've even seen chrome plated door handles on ebay that are Dodge approved (the advertising states this). Will also fit the 300s. They look good to me but I can't bring myself to drop $200 on them and then have to pay someone to install them for me.

I'm turning 50 this week so I'm from the old school I guess. I miss the chrome bumpers and trim cars from the sixties and seventies had. To me, it's nice to start seeing touches of it back on cars again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would also like to see a few more chrome touches on my Mineral Grey R/T. I think the strips on the bumpers would look very nice. I am not sure about those pillar chrome pieces though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've gone back and forth in my mind about those pillar chrome pieces and finally decided they are too much brightwork in an area that doesn't really need it (imho). I mean, I don't think any unnecessary attention should be brought to the window area but rather those posts should just 'blend in' with the tinted windows. What I am seriously considering though, is the rocker panel polished stainless. I'd like to know if anyone else has done this and are they satisfied with the look.

As for the bumper trim, I've already installed one piece and that 3/8" brightwork really gives the bumpers a little pizzaz!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Srt-8

MattRobertson said:
They did that just for the SRT-8.
I'm trying to order an SRT-8 and this is one of the things I don't like. Go figure! "Everyting makes somebody happy".
KK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.