DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a few months back about a problem with my kenwood cd/dvd player not playing cd's or dvd's without locking up or going into "media check" mode only after playing a few minutes or songs.

I had removed the radio and cleaned the laser eye and the damn thing worked flawless for exactly ONE day. So I made a few emails to Kenwood and left a few messages via phone with NO help whatsoever or even a call back or email.

Round two...
I removed the radio deck again a few days back and went further into the deck this time.......
I actually removed 3 screws and the entire cd/dvd player was in my hand after unplugging a double harness. I cleaned out everything best I could and also cleaned the laser eye once again. I lightly installed the cd/dvd player back in the deck and started playing a mixture of cd's or dvd's off an on while it was apart and even in inverted positions at times with NO issues or skips whatsoever. I even would jolt the deck to see If I could get it to skip or go to "media check" again and I was pleased it was working.

So I re-asssembled the player into the deck making sure the wiring harness was plugged in nice and tight and everything went back together great.
I was able to have trouble free play on dvd's or cd's for 3 days then hell started happening again...........after playing a few songs or playing a dvd for a few minutes or more the "media check" would start again and sometimes it would come back on but restart the dvd or cd from the beginning. Other times it would lock up the unit to where it would just stay on the "media check" mode. Now I understand what the media check is doing BUT I dont know why it keeps going back to this feature while just playing a cd or dvd while not even driving the truck or anything.

What I need to know is IF anyone knows a Kenwood repair facility,knows if the cd/dvd drive portion of the deck can be purchased separately,if anyone else can contribute to what I need as far as repair to the unit without costing as much as the deck.

I really want to try to keep the deck as its got nice features and such. But I dont want to spend more than a new deck would cost. Guys Im a firm believer that these electronics should and must last longer than a couple of years and I believe if I found the right person a repair could be made rather inexpensively.

This is a model number Z910DVD and is only a hair over 2 years old I believe and If anyone can direct me to an honest repair facility or knows anyone who can repair this or even sell me the parts at a decent price I would appreciate the help.

Also any ideas are greatly appreicated.

Thanks for the time and for attempting to help.
Brian

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
Brian these are all authorized kenwood repair facilities and will have or can get the part you need . You can tell themm what the unit is doing and they may send you the whole assembly you need . If you need me too i will get with them for you .

Herman Electronics
7350 N. W. 35th Terrace
Miami, FL 33122
Phone: 800-938-4376
Phone: 305-477-0063
Fax: 800-938-4377
http://www.hermanelectronics.com

PacParts Inc.
15024 Staff Court
Gardena, CA 90248
Phone: 800-262-1312
Phone: 310-515-0207
Fax: 800-782-5747

2114 SE 9th Ave.
Portland, OR 97214
Phone: 800-338-6342
Phone: 503-236-6140
Fax: 800-962-0602

http://www.pacparts.com

East Coast Transistor Parts, Inc.
2 Marlborough Road
West Hempstead, NY 11552
Phone: 800-776-2626
Phone: 516-483-5742
Fax: 800-733-5904
http://www.kenwoodparts.com

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
also brian i see that that unit wont play burned discs , have you noticed it will play new or bulk cds and dvds but not the burnt . the reason i ask is that the maual says it wont play cd-rw's

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hemi_outlaw said:
also brian i see that that unit wont play burned discs , have you noticed it will play new or bulk cds and dvds but not the burnt . the reason i ask is that the maual says it wont play cd-rw's
I only play New store bought discs,and I hardly have any with rough scrathes,even brand new ones straight from the case do the same thing.

Thanks for the info,I will see if anyone can finaly help resolve this issue.

Im telling you IF my big screen TV takes a dump like this after a year or two of service I will be PISSED!! You cant buy anything worth a shit anymore.

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
lol i know what your saying bro . if you need anymore help with this let me know i will be glad to help out . If my bigscreen goes out im killing someone at best buy lol .

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
no problem bro good luck and like i said if there is anything else i can do let me know .

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am being told that the cd/dvd drive unit is 330.00 for the part alone........now I hjave to decide if this will be the exact part to remedy the problem AND if this is worth buying for thsi deck to keep..........330.00 is more than I wanted to spend for this deck.Surely this deck was not a real expensive deck to start with so I still debating.

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
Yeah thats kinda high , let me see what i can come up with , i may be able to get you a comparable unit for less money that the 330.00 .

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
Also...
Check the outer edge of each CD for casting flash. If there is a rough edge, you can stand the CD/DVD on it's end, and file off the rough edge with a nail file. (Be careful, the CD still needs to be round)

This was quite common when "Columbia House" was popular.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Found on Crutchfield.com that unit has a 2 year warranty,

you could always do a search for kenwood Z910DVD ..... on metacrawler.com
found a place that carries Kenwood parts (partstore.com) but you will need to know a part number for that website cause it doesnt look like they sell a whole assembly.

.... also there is one for sale on eBay (searched Z910DVD) in Houstin Texas for $1.29 + $20 to ship but am pretty sure you could get one of the guys on here to pick it up for you ;)

if you want to buy a schematic for your radio here is a link to a place that sells them asm-service-manual.com

another place to buy the repair manual manualsparadise.com

here is someone on rx7club.com selling one for $360 shipped

I tried to help you on this one since you have helped me with a few issues in the past :rck: ... Good luck and hopefully the links will work when you click on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.