DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done with my mods for my Dak. I'm not looking to do a whole lot because I want to keep her close to stock, but I also want her to fly. I'm looking for the best electric fan option. For the 4.7 can I use 1 fan? Do I need 2? Will I need to change my thermastat? :help:

·
Registered
558 Posts
well... i put an electric fan and thermo on my mustang.. i'm not sure about your fan, but a 180 deg thermostat is a wonderful thing to put in... usually a stock system keeps the temp at 205-230 so that 180 stat will keep it around 190... makes a hella difference in my opinion..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Alterocks, but I'm wondering about anyone who put one on a newer Dak. I heard that the engine may run cooler but the gas milage goes down. I'm wondering if anyone who has the setup had seen benefits and if so, what.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I run my R/T with just the stock electric fan. I removed the clutch fan, installed a 180* T-stat and wired in a tempature controlled power unit for the electric fan. I set the controller at 180* so the minute the coolant reaches this temp not only does the T-stat open but the electric fan kicks on. Once the coolant gets under 180* in the radiator the fan automatically turns off.

I also have the same controller wired up for a manual switch so when I am at the track I leave the fan on and get the coolant really cooled down before racing! It has worked out great since I installed it three months ago.

I hope that helps.

-Scott :cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'm gonna get on E-bay and see if I can find a Viper Fan. Also, you didn't say, do any of you get better or worse gas milage running cooler? I read that the engine has to stay a certain temp to maintain efficency.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i was thinking about doing the same thing. is the stock fan electric? i dont know cuz ive only had my truck for about a month. but i want 13s at the strip. where did you set your switch?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alterocks, if you look further up this thread, Badzdad has a link to SoCal Dakotas with a listing for the same electric fan that comes on Vipers. That's probably what I will be getting. Also, we have normal HP robbing fans with fan clutches on our trucks stock.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know R/T's came with electric fans!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Scottcba1 said:
I run my R/T with just the stock electric fan. I removed the clutch fan, installed a 180* T-stat and wired in a tempature controlled power unit for the electric fan. I set the controller at 180* so the minute the coolant reaches this temp not only does the T-stat open but the electric fan kicks on. Once the coolant gets under 180* in the radiator the fan automatically turns off.

when you say stock electric fan... you mean came with truck? or stock outta the box.. :confused:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Skiman94 said:
I didn't know R/T's came with electric fans!

My 2000 R/T came with an electric fan and a clutch fan stock off the assembly line. I believe 2000 was the first year and all the R/Ts after it came this way.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Alterocks said:
when you say stock electric fan... you mean came with truck? or stock outta the box.. :confused:

Stock as in stock right off the assembly line. My truck came from the factory with an electric fan and a clutch fan. I removed the clutch fan and setup a thermo switch for the electric fan to automatically come on at 180*. The switch is mounted under the hood on the support member right on top of the radiator. It has a probe that goes into the upper radiator hose and that is how it gets the coolant temp correctly and knows when to turn on and off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's cool. I got a friend who works for Hi-Lo/OReiley that's going to hook me up with a Haley 16 in electric fan. I can't wait to get it in!

·
Registered
558 Posts
wow... so when your at the strip your truck can cool down, ive been wanting to do that... did you change the electric to a s- blade or anything to pull more air? what was the difficulty to do this? could i do it in my driveway? sorry.. just sounds like one of those easy upgrades.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Alterocks said:
wow... so when your at the strip your truck can cool down, ive been wanting to do that... did you change the electric to a s- blade or anything to pull more air? what was the difficulty to do this? could i do it in my driveway? sorry.. just sounds like one of those easy upgrades.

I didnt change the fan at all....just removed the clutch fan and went with the stock electric fan. It pulls plenty of air to keep the truck right at 180* and at the track I flip the manual switch with the truck off and within 10-20minutes the trucks temp gauge is pegged on dead cold when I am ready to start the truck again and race!

It really isnt difficult at all as long as you are some what mechanically inclined. I did the whole job in my driveway with simple hand tools in less then an hour from start to stop. The only thing I havent done was to remove the big goofy clutch fan shroud for a slimmer cleaner looking one from a 98-99 model truck. When I do this I will switch to the 98-99 model coolant overflow and windsheild washer tanks as well. This frees up alot of room in the front of the engine bay and allows for greater access to the front of the motor.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
558 Posts
yes yes, helps indeed.. i like my big shroud, although i dont know what it looks like on the older trucks... when it stops raining i shall diffenently start. thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
99 v6 4x4 problem

I was driving yesterday and just lost all power without any warning. I looked at the gauges and they all went to 0. My odometer, which should be reading 89,000, was flashing NO BUS. I tried to start it and nothing, after a couple minutes it started like nothing was wrong. Went to work today and everything was fine, but it did it again on the way home. Anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong, and/or what NO BUS means?

·
Registered
558 Posts
you should prolly post this seperatly under the general forums

·
Bling!
230 Posts
My 2K Dakota has both fans. What I'm wondering is if the electric fan is a puller or a pusher? And, one should be able to get a new thermostatically controlled radiator switch to turn the fan on from the inside temp's of the radiator. I converted my 1998 BMW M3 over to this setup by using a colder thermostat, colder radiator switch, 2 bottles of Water Wetter combined with BMW-only coolant (+$28/gal.). On my 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT, I also eliminated my clutch fan 6 years ago by installing a 16" Fluidyne puller and setting up a manually-controlled temp. probe much like what Scottcba1 has done to his Dakota. Personally, I don't like my car setup this way. It may work fine for the Dakota, but I would think a radiator switch might work better.

BTW, Scottcba1, where are you located again? If it's anywhere in a hot climate, and you have no cooling issues then I may try this conversion as well on my Dakota. My M3 was just converted 2 weeks ago and we've had 100+ temp's in Idaho; no cooling issues to report for my M3. The conversion should be cost minimal with normal hand tools.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.