DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i am thinking of or pondering the idea of didtching the clutch fan and getting an electic fan setup. I do have a small stereo system but i dont think that will be a large problem... do you? I know a buy who has a ford ranger with electric fans and he has a larger system than I.

Anyways.. what kind of gains can i see. I see on RM INDY's site he gained .08 sec in the 1/4. Anyone have any thoughts on this or which fan is better than the next. Also single or dual setup?

Last thing. How difficult are they to install. Electronically that is. The actual install shouldnt be to bad should it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
BRT..

I've been investigating this myself. However, I think I'm going to go for the "new" fan assembly. The company "Be Cool" offers a dual puller assembly for the trucks that boasts 30 HP and improved MPG. Not sure how accurate it is, but I'd rather put in a few hundred and get a new kit than boneyard and frankenstein it.

http://www.becool.com/

Can be purchased through JEGS or Summit racing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have been searching the same thing. I have been thinking about getting the "Be Cool" Thin Line European Electric Fan for the A/C condenser, it is a pusher. Then i think i will replace the OEM fan and clutch with the Flex-a-lite Full Size Truck Fans. They are twin fans Variable Speed Controlled and adjustable thermostat.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=563

·
ACE
571 Posts
wouldnt the new flex-a-lite super black magic single fan work. it pulls 3300 cfm.

·
Registered
549 Posts
93-98 or so lincoln mark 8 fans pull like 4500 cfm and are two speed.I think they are 18" diameter as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have two 14" hayden puller fans i picked up at the local auto parts store. They have the adjustable thermostat and A/C turn on. Wiring is a snap if you have basic skills. As far as horsepower, you're probably not gonna notice too much and definetly not 30hp. The only reason an electric fan would help horsepower is it reduces the drag on the engine caused by the fan clutch.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
On a 5.9 Magnum adding electric fans and removing the viscous fan will net you about 5-6rwhp(or less). Only really affects the performance till about 25mph, after that, next to nothing. Viscous fans are pretty efficient. When they state 30hp they are refering to a best case scenario.
ie; 60/70s muscle car with a solid mount fan.

As phillherup3 mentions not too difficult an install. I have a fairly detailed install of the flex-a-lite 210b's I put in mine at my site.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Based on my experiments without any fan, I would guess you can gain between 0.5 and 1 MPG at a steady 70 mph if you switch to an electric fan.

Like Cameltoe, if you do the math you can't really justify spending 150-250 $ to gain this fuel economy, so the best bet is to try to get used parts from a salvage yard, and the 18 inch Lincoln electric fan is a good candidate, as are Pontiac Fiero electric fans. Some 1998+ Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2/5.9V8s had electric fans from the factory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's no argument about the cost cost for gas mileage, or the 30HP gain. But there is a personal argument however, about buying parts from a salvage yard that have a better chance of failing than a new system.

Me?! I'm anal about putting used equipment in my vehicles. Especially something like this that could make or brake a 4 hour trip. $150-250 dollars is nothing more than piece of mind and a waranty.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Rammin360 said:
There's no argument about the cost cost for gas mileage, or the 30HP gain. But there is a personal argument however, about buying parts from a salvage yard that have a better chance of failing than a new system.

Me?! I'm anal about putting used equipment in my vehicles. Especially something like this that could make or brake a 4 hour trip. $150-250 dollars is nothing more than piece of mind and a waranty.

I know what you mean about used parts,but how many elec fan failures have you heard of?Plus if you are running two of them,you'll be able to limp on one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can see what both of you mean. I would think that if anything is going to fail in an electric fan setup it would be the fan controller. Youe could always get the fans from a junkyard and find a controller setup at just about any auto parts store. Personally i side with Rammin360 in thinking the extra money is worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Reliability is important to me too, but I have not seen any evidence in my 27 years as a registered professional mechanical engineer that you can 'buy reliability' by purchasing it as a new part from an aftermarket supplier. Most aftermarket parts have no testing or history to prove their dependability.

I would feel better taking a 'proven part' off a low mileage Toyota, Honda or Volvo at a salvage yard than buying any of the aftermarket electric fans I have seen so far. The OEM parts undergo a much tougher testing proceedure than the aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would feel better taking a 'proven part' off a low mileage Toyota, Honda or Volvo at a salvage yard than buying any of the aftermarket electric fans I have seen so far. The OEM parts undergo a much tougher testing proceedure than the aftermarket parts.
Your point is very valid and I agree with you to some degree. It's more of the fact that you have NO guarantee whatsoever that the fan(s) from a salvage yard are going to last.

My point is this. With all things equal- you and I both buy fan assemblies. You from the salvage yard and me from the aftermarket manufacturer. 31 days later we both lose our fan's on a trip. we're both likely to make it to our destination/home with no problems because of highway air flowing through the radiator. The point I hold on to in my argument is that I don't have to pay more money for a new fan assembly. I'm calling the manufacturer raising holy hell and will ultimately get a new asembly sent to me free of charge. It's just piece of mind, plain and simple. Your still getting a second assembly for less than I paid for my 1, but, you have to go find another then buy it and then install it.

You're right though.. There's no guarantee that either will fail. Then again.. What guarantee do we really have in life? DEATH! lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well Cptn Cameltoe.. You're right about the spending 3 times more part. But since I already said that I'd be spending a lot more, even if someone needed to buy 2,3, or even 4 used fans- I'd still be spending more.

Prodding me about "hoping" I'd get a new fan isn't going to pursuade me to purchase a used fan and, Well.. is simply ridiculous really. Reputable business aren't going to reneg on a warranty as that would lead to public bashing and possible litigation. There are shady companies out there, but that's why we should be researching these BEFORE we purchase. My position remains unchanged. No POS used fan from a boneyard is going to be "rigged" into my ride. It's just a personal preference. I harbor no ill thoughts for anyone who wants to do that, and I think it's great people are able to at a substantial cost savings.

I'm done.. as I have no intentions in getting into a pissing contest about this. We both have positions that aren't going to change. Although.. I'm not sure why your arguing my point for me in a round-about way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
** Cptn Cameltoe.. I'm not really sure if you were making light of this or not. So I'll put this out there now.. If you were joking around I apologize. It's hard to know if someone is being funny or serious sometimes on these boards..

!! But you still argued my point for me! ;P

·
Registered
549 Posts
i was'nt trying to ruffle feathers and even the new fans will be "rigged"(there is no pretty drop in kit for a dodge truck).I have always been more of a budget guy,even thought i have the money for new.My stand is,i'll spend the money where it's really important and save in areas where it's less critical.hey it's your money either way and i don't see how i'm arguing your point for you,but whatever?lol We can both agree that a nice elec fan setup is good for performance,hows that?

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow... I think after hearing all that i'll put an elec fan on the end of my list and worry about getting my 1.7 RR's in. haha

I looked at new fans and they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
549 Posts
my point exactly bigred.The biggest and most cfm i know of is the Lincoln Mark 8 fans(18") from the 93-99 ish

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.